Bike Hoist?

Chubba

If I can build them for R100 each that would be cool. Don’t want to spend R500 a piece.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will pop past builders with the picture and ask them for the parts I need.

Shot Mayhem.

pullies should be R 10 to R 20 each MAXIMUM (depending on material) don't worry if you can only get plastic ones - they're still FRIKKIN strong, and if they can handle a 14m long surfski or 100m^2 sail, they can handle a bike.

Rawl bolts will be the most expensive bit, unless you don't already have a masonry bit for your drill. If you don't - get a black & decker Piranha bit. Expensive, but they last and last and last...

Then you've gotta get your rope and the hooks you're gonna use to attach the bike.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me an idea of process?

1. Drill rawl bolts

2. Attach eyelet anchors, I assume to bolts?

3. Attach single pulley in the front, double at the back

4. Attach rope anchoring point on vertical wall?

Eyelet anchors can come as part of the rawl bolt. If not, then just get the same size eyelet bolts as the bolt that is in the rawl bolt assembly, and use that in its place.

You can even attach the rope to the bike... no additional anchor-point needed.

Then you've gotta get your rope and the hooks you're gonna use to attach the bike.

will ask a mate if he has some old climbing rope laying around.

I would recommend adding another pulley and attaching it to the ceiling right next to the wall where you want to fasten the rope. That way it's neat and you dont have a piece of rope going diagonally through your garage.

Something like this (gotta love paint)

post-18337-0-45316100-1314608802.png

CLIMBING ROPE!?

That's a bit of an overkill... Also will have to get bigger guage pullies, which increases the cost.

I reckon 5m per bike, depending on how high your roof is and whether you're prepared to lift the bike off the floor and then hook it on, or whether you want to hook the bike on while it's still on the ground.

If the latter, then 15m per bike.

sometimes I like da hub, sometimes I luuuv da hub.

going via builders a decent ahrdware store on the way home.

I would recommend adding another pulley and attaching it to the ceiling right next to the wall where you want to fasten the rope. That way it's neat and you dont have a piece of rope going diagonally through your garage.

Something like this (gotta love paint)

post-18337-0-45316100-1314608802.png

Where would i tie off the start of the rope? The first pulley?

Chubba, so glad to see you're not going to buy it from Wanitall (the link you posted). Whatever price they have it at, you can be sure the "normal" retail is around 1/2 their price, even with the so-called "You save:Rxxx" Worst place to buy anything imo!! Rant over

Nice topic, thanks for the info

CLIMBING ROPE!?

That's a bit of an overkill... Also will have to get bigger guage pullies, which increases the cost.

:D - fair enough, will get some thinner nylon stuff.

Roof is not too high, but will use the longer rope so that my wife can take down a bike if need be.

post-18337-0-81996600-1314609270.png

Point A you can attach to an eyelid, at point B place one of those fittings that you can wind the rope around. No need to tie it.

Chubba, so glad to see you're not going to buy it from Wanitall (the link you posted). Whatever price they have it at, you can be sure the "normal" retail is around 1/2 their price, even with the so-called "You save:Rxxx" Worst place to buy anything imo!! Rant over

Never, not fond of bending! :thumbdown:

post-18337-0-81996600-1314609270.png

Point A you can attach to an eyelid, at point B place one of those fittings that you can wind the rope around. No need to tie it.

Ahhhhh - you might be able to tell I’m a little useless with this sorta thing.

Thanks.

You can even make a spool (afr katrol?) so that you can raise and lower the bike by turning the lever :)

Nope - to pully number 3. It's got a rope-securing nobbin in front of the pully itself (you can see it on the bottom end of the pic)

That's the exact reason that I stipulated that type of pully instead of a normal one. Makes it far neater, and it's secure. It's pulling against itself, which also makes it easier to hoist

Nope - to pully number 3. It's got a rope-securing nobbin in front of the pully itself (you can see it on the bottom end of the pic)

That's the exact reason that I stipulated that type of pully instead of a normal one. Makes it far neater, and it's secure. It's pulling against itself, which also makes it easier to hoist

That'll work :)