Bike Hoist?

Chubba

I've managed to build it for under R100 (R93.95) and it hoists easily, my 6 year old niece did it. It's measured on my bike (L) but tested it with the Silverback (S) because it's much heavier.

post-18337-0-57912200-1314713513.jpg

post-18337-0-53093800-1314713532.jpg

post-18337-0-88763800-1314713565.jpg

post-18337-0-07283800-1314713578.jpg

Chubba, you can have this one for free, I'm not going to use it. And then I'll build you two more for R150 each. I need new brakes!! :D

Then you still end up paying R300 for three, oh and shipping.

What do you think? Anybody else want one?

Edited by Zaskar09

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats looks good man. Have already bought some carabiners, rope, bolts and eyelets from builders to make a simple one. Thanks for the offer tho.

Thats looks good man. Have already bought some carabiners, rope, bolts and eyelets from builders to make a simple one. Thanks for the offer tho.

No worries, I also tried the carabiners and found that the friction is too much. Makes for VERY heavy hoisting.

Let me know how it goes though!

All over, some at Mica, some at Screwman, some at builders. I actually used a bunch of other stuff to build my own pulleys (works like a charm btw).

The ready-made pulleys are way too expensive.

Edited by Zaskar09

All over, some at Mica, some at Screwman, some at builders. I actually used a bunch of other stuff to build my own pulleys (works like a charm btw).

The ready-made pulleys are way too expensive.

Werk lekker ne.

How would it work with the ceiling, where an how would you mount it?

Haven't read all the posts, but why not just drill two big hooks into the roof and hang your bicycle upside down by the wheels?

No hassling with ropes, bike falling over while you're trying to haul it up, nothing to go wrong with all the ropes and pulleys? Seems like overkill for a simple task.

Haven't read all the posts, but why not just drill two big hooks into the roof and hang your bicycle upside down by the wheels?

No hassling with ropes, bike falling over while you're trying to haul it up, nothing to go wrong with all the ropes and pulleys? Seems like overkill for a simple task.

unless you have wife that might need a bike or a high ceiling.

Werk lekker ne.

How would it work with the ceiling, where an how would you mount it?

Same as on regular rafters, just make sure that you mount it through the ceiling and into the rafters.

Have you managed to build yours yet?

Have you managed to build yours yet?

Will try it on the weekend.

My kid has been sick and waking up at between 4-5 every morning, so K.O’d by 9.30.

Heck, I'd just put a single screw-eye in the roof, a hook-eye on the wall, get some cheap nylon washing line rope from Checkers, make a loop that fits over the front of the saddle, a few loops as handles on the bit you pull so you get some traction, haul it up, and hook your handle on the hook-eye.

Engineers! Complicate everything. Tcha!

Me, I just hang the bikes off hooks in the wall by the wheel (alternating as they go - front back front back repeat til you run out of bikes). Doesn't matter what device I make, I'm still gonna be the one pick'n them up and put'n them down and seriously, picking a bike up and hanging it on a hook gotta be easier than faffing with ropes hooks 'n things.

You can get cheaper pulleys! Got some a whiole ago at Mica hardware (any hardware should stock pulleys)

Just shop around.

We've been using them (single & double ) to hold up theatrical backdrops (weighing ~80kgs) and they work just fine...

No reason to get boat quality ones = overkill

TIP: if you only use eylets & carabeners, then the friction starts to play a role....pulleys are just soo much nicer!

You can get cheaper pulleys! Got some a whiole ago at Mica hardware (any hardware should stock pulleys)

Just shop around.

We've been using them (single & double ) to hold up theatrical backdrops (weighing ~80kgs) and they work just fine...

No reason to get boat quality ones = overkill

TIP: if you only use eylets & carabeners, then the friction starts to play a role....pulleys are just soo much nicer!

I went to Mica, the whole idea was to build it for under a 100 bucks. The pulleys are too expensive.