Bike Hoist?

Chubba

Nope - to pully number 3. It's got a rope-securing nobbin in front of the pully itself (you can see it on the bottom end of the pic)

That's the exact reason that I stipulated that type of pully instead of a normal one. Makes it far neater, and it's secure. It's pulling against itself, which also makes it easier to hoist

uuummmm can you draw for us da picta ? like Mr Zaskar ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uuummmm can you draw for us da picta ? like Mr Zaskar ?

The rope end at point A just goes back to the pulley attached to the ceiling (closest to A). . . if I'm understanding Cpt correctly

Zaskar - that's using more pullies and rope than you need to...

this is my proposal.

the one end of the rope ties to the eyelet at the bottom of the right hand side pully. LHS pully is a 2-wheel variety.

Easiest option, and no wastage of rope. You can tie off the other end on the bike itself, so the whole thing takes up less space than the bike itself...

post-3056-0-92117000-1314609905.jpg

Zaskar - that's using more pullies and rope than you need to...

this is my proposal.

the one end of the rope ties to the eyelet at the bottom of the right hand side pully. LHS pully is a 2-wheel variety.

Easiest option, and no wastage of rope. You can tie off the other end on the bike itself, so the whole thing takes up less space than the bike itself...

post-3056-0-92117000-1314609905.jpg

Dude, your an engineer in a money mans body!

I totally agree, that would work. The more pulleys you add however (though more costly) the easier it is to hoist. Not knowing Chubba or his missus, raising the bike to the ceiling and then tying the rope to the bike itself might be a bit high. Might just be me, I'm a shorty.

But your right, yours would be cheaper.

I totally agree, that would work. The more pulleys you add however (though more costly) the easier it is to hoist. Not knowing Chubba or his missus, raising the bike to the ceiling and then tying the rope to the bike itself might be a bit high. Might just be me, I'm a shorty.

But your right, yours would be cheaper.

Ja, with 2 rollers each side (the LHS effectively has 2 rollers due to the tie-off on the bottom of the pully) the load is effectively halved. So for a 14kg bike, your wife would be lifting 7kg.

Ja, with 2 rollers each side (the LHS effectively has 2 rollers due to the tie-off on the bottom of the pully) the load is effectively halved. So for a 14kg bike, your wife would be lifting 7kg.

Now. . .

if you add one electric motor you can hoist your bike remotely . . . :)

Edited by Zaskar09

Now. . .

if you add one electric motor you can hoist your bike remotely . . . :)

i like that idea!

Turns out the pulleys are a bit more expensive than I thought and I couldn't find any suitable hooks for under R60 a piece (went to 4 different stores). Maybe you guys have more luck with the pulleys at the coast, I don't know of any sailing stores in PTA.

But I've figured out a way to build it for under R100. I'll build and test it tonight and then post pictures.

Turns out the pulleys are a bit more expensive than I thought and I couldn't find any suitable hooks for under R60 a piece (went to 4 different stores). Maybe you guys have more luck with the pulleys at the coast, I don't know of any sailing stores in PTA.

But I've figured out a way to build it for under R100. I'll build and test it tonight and then post pictures.

Called 2 stores, the cheapest pulley they have is R60 as well. Each unit will require 4, so not the cheapest option.

What about carabineers?

post-12790-0-66517100-1314622849.jpg

Edited by Chubba

Called 2 stores, the cheapest pulley they have is R60 as well. Each unit will require 4, so not the cheapest option.

What about carabineers?

post-12790-0-66517100-1314622849.jpg

Also not very cheap

Un-rated carabiners bought at a hardware store cost about R10, more than strong enough. Is it not possilbe to bang two pulleys into the roof and and run two independant lines from the bike up to pulley and down to tie-off point? THe weight of the bike is shared between each pulley, no mechanical advantage, but it will work. Cheap and easy!