Deter Bike Theft & Reduce Trade of Stolen Bikes

Cycleline

I think it is a good idea......

This can grow..... get the insurance companies involved.......

Anything at this stage is better than nothing! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you for your support and yes, we have an insurance company coming on board very shortly. They'll offer a reduced rate or lower excess if your bike is registered and tagged.

if i remember correctly cycle lab sells this product that works with small dots, that you put on with super glue....so when they scan you bike it gives a code as it entails a code...can't remember the name now and you also get registered on a website.

I'm all for this initiative (to put an end to trade in stolen bikes)! BUT, and this is a big BUT ;) You MUST get the insurance companies on board...I'll pay your subscription but would like a discount from my insurance or tax deduction or something along those lines...

Why do this if my bike is insured anyway?

Then the issue about the tamper proof tags...great, but what about expensive components? i.e wheelset; forks?

Then the issue of policing - do NOT expect Mr Policeman to stop and scan a couple of bikes whilst on duty? That would cost money - and that on his meagre salary??? forget it!!

Still think this is a positive move in the right direction!! But shucks, more bucks to fork out!! On top of CSA licence fees!!

Great comments, thank you.

Insurance: Yes, we have an insurance company coming on board very shortly offering lower premiums or reduced excess if your bike is tagged and registered.

Components: Sure, you can tag any part of you bike and we would certainly recommend you do so. Your ID Cycleline kit comes with 4 tamper proof tags and can (and should) be placed prominently on your frame and other expensive components that can facilitate this.

Policing: We are very pleasantly surprised by the reception received from the police thus far. We're providing posters for police station walls encouraging police and self policing with easy to follow instructions. Mail shots are being circulated via SAP PR and following the Carte Blanche bike jacking exposure, they are very much in favour of endorsing and promoting this initiative. We're not going to rest on our laurels either - we're out meeting and demonstrating the service with the emergency service teams and police to raise awareness.

Subs: We've priced it as affordably as we can. This initiative is run and operated by cyclists for cyclists and it's a massive undertaking. We reckon though that at just 63 cents per day, it's a small price to pay for such a good service.

if i remember correctly cycle lab sells this product that works with small dots, that you put on with super glue....so when they scan you bike it gives a code as it entails a code...can't remember the name now and you also get registered on a website.

Microdotting.?

Its common on new vehicles, some manufacturers like Nissan do it at the factory, but I dont know if insurance company's offers a discount for having it.

On vehicles the only proven method is the usual Netstar type application, then you certainly get a discount.

I think you also have the aesthetic issue on a bicycle, it wont worry me, but from postings here I think a lot of people would prefer not to have a bar code stuck somewhere obvious on their frame, I am also dubious on the adhesive, bikes are often exposed to heavy elements, they work in the rain, sun and get washed often, few general adhesives will withstand this kind of treatment for lengthy periods.

Even the Space shuttle with all the resources at their disposal struggled to find an adhesive strong enough and long lasting enough to glue the heat shield to the wings, eventually they spent millions of dollars developing their own, and as we all know, they still lost tiles every time they used it.

Yes, I believe they do although I am not sure how pro-actively they do this though. The beauty of our Quick Response tags is their visibility. They should be displayed prominently. You are telling everyone that your bike is tagged and registered - a bit like having a security board outside your house. It's a warning and an effective deterrent. If you are offered a bike with a tag, scan it and it will detail the status of the bike. Removing a tamper proof tag will mark the frame, so if you are suspicious, check online. Stolen bikes will be profiled with photographs identifying where to tag was or should be.

Think of it as community policing. We need an effective way to slow down this rising rate of bike crime and stop those trading in stolen bikes so time to stand together.

there must be good money in this. well potentially at least.

nbrza.co.za

www.cyclereg.com

so does sergeant copshop have to check all of these databases now? of course there is no way this will work without buyin from the authorities. highly doubt the cops are going to whip out their smartphone and scan without some prodding from above.

I see this as a race to the bottom. if any succeed at all. Real problem is that you guys are all trying to make money out of it. stinks a bit, proudly south african so we are here to profit from biketheft. Make it free and cover the costs from other sides. (maybe CSA should be the ones pushing it.)

here's another way to do it

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/KryptoniteBikeRevolutionFAQs.aspx

now remember, every single car has all the id reg numbers on all parts and the cops are forced to trace all of it in a central database. is car theft an issue in this country?

I would have to agree with the previous poster that a live working site is far better then a "test" site. You loose a lot of momentum and credibility.

Interesting concept, but would like to see how the sticker works. Any chance of a YouTube video?

Hi Chubba,

Our site is live and you can sign up right now. We have no registered stolen bikes to report (that's a good sign :) ) but the rest is up and working well. Please let us know if you are experiencing any probs and we'll remedy right away. And yes, we'll have a video on our site and YouTube with more info soon.

there must be good money in this. well potentially at least.

nbrza.co.za

www.cyclereg.com

so does sergeant copshop have to check all of these databases now? of course there is no way this will work without buyin from the authorities. highly doubt the cops are going to whip out their smartphone and scan without some prodding from above.

I see this as a race to the bottom. if any succeed at all. Real problem is that you guys are all trying to make money out of it. stinks a bit, proudly south african so we are here to profit from biketheft. Make it free and cover the costs from other sides. (maybe CSA should be the ones pushing it.)

here's another way to do it

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/KryptoniteBikeRevolutionFAQs.aspx

now remember, every single car has all the id reg numbers on all parts and the cops are forced to trace all of it in a central database. is car theft an issue in this country?

Whilst we appreciate your comments, let's look at this realistically. The plan is not to make money off other people's misfortunes but to offer a very viable and effective way to raise awareness, deter bike theft and identify owners.

You could say the same thing about security companies and any other industry, business or organisation providing a security service. Kryptonite (UK) and MyBikerego (Aus) are fee paying sites too and what we have done is kept our subs to just 63 cents per day. The thing is SteveCT, it's a really good initiative which should be embraced for exactly what it is.

Whilst we appreciate your comments, let's look at this realistically. The plan is not to make money off other people's misfortunes but to offer a very viable and effective way to raise awareness, deter bike theft and identify owners.

You could say the same thing about security companies and any other industry, business or organisation providing a security service. Kryptonite (UK) and MyBikerego (Aus) are fee paying sites too and what we have done is kept our subs to just 63 cents per day. The thing is SteveCT, it's a really good initiative which should be embraced for exactly what it is.

okee dokee, lets look at this from the otherside then.

you guys are doing it for R230 pa, nbrza asks just R40 (and it's voluntary)

they add QR codes to their system and there goes your only business differentiator.

like i said it's a race to the bottom. hope you enjoy the thrill of the chase.

okee dokee, lets look at this from the otherside then.

you guys are doing it for R230 pa, nbrza asks just R40 (and it's voluntary)

they add QR codes to their system and there goes your only business differentiator.

like i said it's a race to the bottom. hope you enjoy the thrill of the chase.

Steve, our service is not mandatory and you can decide if it works for you or not. We're sorry you are not going to be joining us but thank you for your comments and wish you safe and happy cycling. :)

ok...so my question....

You put the sticker on as follow as per your website:

"1. Position your Cycleline Tamper Proof stickers in a visible place on your bike frame. Secure it with the clear adhesive strip provided...."

I can guarentee you someone will be able to remove all that glue...and if not stick something over it....cause you won't know if there was one then

Also....you need to download the APP to scan it, what if you own a 3310? :thumbdown:

Good idea...rather design the system so you can type the serial number online or something....so they get notified immediately.

Also by getting insurance companies involved, being able to reduce the premium if using this service, you will get more clients....but then it must work.

The stickers are a couple of mm thick with a metal strip inlay. The adhesive is the strongest available and whilst we can't guarantee they can never be removed, it's no easy feat to do so. We include a clear protective strip that amply covers the tag and if you try and remove them, it's virtually impossible to do so without evidence a tag previously being there. If you try and cover the tag, the thickness is an immediate give-away. It's all about awareness, checking the bike thoroughly to see if the bike is/was tagged and matching it with stolen bikes online.

QR code readers. Any phone older than 2004 has scan reader capabilities. All you need is Internet access and a camera. The download is completely free and QR code usage is rising over 1400% every month in SA!

And yes definitely, great idea with regards to involving insurance co's. We're finalising plans with a major company right now who will be offering reduced premiums and lower excess if you bike is tagged and registered.

We really do appreciate ALL your comments, thoughts and ideas. Please keep 'em coming and we'll do our best to improve, add value and services to meet these as quickly as we can.

Steve, our service is not mandatory and you can decide if it works for you or not. We're sorry you are not going to be joining us but thank you for your comments and wish you safe and happy cycling. :)

Fair enough, but as you are implying an indirect public service in your marketing play I don't feel unjustified in calling you on it. I didn't say i would be participating, I'm just interested to see which of the prospective schemes in the market wins over. You can't all be VHS.

Just out of interest, since you display the logo on your website, are you guys registered with Proudly SA? I'm going to assume you are, but your logo looks a bit faded.:rolleyes:

Fair enough, but as you are implying an indirect public service in your marketing play I don't feel unjustified in calling you on it. I didn't say i would be participating, I'm just interested to see which of the prospective schemes in the market wins over. You can't all be VHS.

Just out of interest, since you display the logo on your website, are you guys registered with Proudly SA? I'm going to assume you are, but your logo looks a bit faded.:rolleyes:

[/quote

Jeepers you are tough to please :) Great blog btw!

Microdotting.?

Its common on new vehicles, some manufacturers like Nissan do it at the factory, but I dont know if insurance company's offers a discount for having it.

On vehicles the only proven method is the usual Netstar type application, then you certainly get a discount.

I think you also have the aesthetic issue on a bicycle, it wont worry me, but from postings here I think a lot of people would prefer not to have a bar code stuck somewhere obvious on their frame, I am also dubious on the adhesive, bikes are often exposed to heavy elements, they work in the rain, sun and get washed often, few general adhesives will withstand this kind of treatment for lengthy periods.

Even the Space shuttle with all the resources at their disposal struggled to find an adhesive strong enough and long lasting enough to glue the heat shield to the wings, eventually they spent millions of dollars developing their own, and as we all know, they still lost tiles every time they used it.

Hi GrumpyOldGuy, regret the delay in replying.

You make a good point about the aesthetic issues. We've designed the tags with this in mind and whilst they are there to do a job, they don't detract. Tags are available in 5 colours and look really good.

We also tested a number of tags and adhesives to gauge longevity what with it being exposed to heavy elements. The tags we supply are seriously heavy duty and we also include clear adhesive strips which amply cover the tag for additional protection. It held up well during very rigorous testing so we're confident you'll be pleased.