Don't hate the Spruit!

patches

dare i ask if he spruit is "safe" during the week??.. i ride it every weekend and its cool, but it seems deserted in the week and after hours..?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I start at the top of Emmerentia at 17h00. Down to fratellis, back up through delta park, alberts farm, sometimes Northcliff. As fast as possible. If you're on a 29er I'll wait.....

dare i ask if he spruit is "safe" during the week??.. i ride it every weekend and its cool, but it seems deserted in the week and after hours..?

I'm on the spruit about 2-3 afternoons/evenings during the week. Either park at Fratelli's or Old Parks. Sometimes I ride north of fratelli's (which is considered the dirtier and more dangerous side). Sometimes solo. Sometimes me and a friend.

And yeah, to date I haven't had any issues. The route mentioned does take one on the 'safer' side. So yes... I would consider these rides safe.

Here's the rough idea of the spruit ride from Fratelli's to the top of Emmarentia and back (excl. Albert's farm and Northcliff Hill).

Start at point marked A (Fratelli's).

post-10758-0-58015900-1314700728.jpg

do you have a map of the alberts farm and northcliff loop...never tried that and would liek to add it in....or explain to me where I link in.

I'm on the spruit about 2-3 afternoons/evenings during the week. Either park at Fratelli's or Old Parks. Sometimes I ride north of fratelli's (which is considered the dirtier and more dangerous side). Sometimes solo. Sometimes me and a friend.

And yeah, to date I haven't had any issues. The route mentioned does take one on the 'safer' side. So yes... I would consider these rides safe.

I agree,north of fratelli's..it gets dodgy..and even dodgier past the new Pnp in William Nicol

I start at the top of Emmerentia at 17h00. Down to fratellis, back up through delta park, alberts farm, sometimes Northcliff. As fast as possible. If you're on a 29er I'll wait.....

Sounds like a great spinning class..... ;)

do you have a map of the alberts farm and northcliff loop...never tried that and would liek to add it in....or explain to me where I link in.

Sorry nope... you'll have to ask someone who actually enjoys that route :lol:

(like Manbearpig or Eyecandy :lol: )

I agree,north of fratelli's..it gets dodgy..and even dodgier past the new Pnp in William Nicol

Most of my time on the Spruit is spend dirt jumping, and sadly 2 of my favourite Spruit 'features' are north of PnP Willam Nicol. The DHL jump line, as well as the scout hall line in bryanston. When I visit those there are always atleast 2 of us (more from an injury point of view)... but yeah, never had any hassles with vagrants

I think this part of the Spruit is as safe as you can be on a bicycle in Jhb. I know that's not saying much but there are generally a lot of people out and about.

The only (slightly) dodgy bit is next to the wetland area between Emmarentia and Alberts (below the bowls club) - met a guy who was mugged on his bike last year in that vicinity.

Edited by Nimby

@thumper, we can definitely arrange a ride with some airtime, one of the wednesdays (for anyone who is keen). :thumbup:

@ patches, we can start a knee and shin gaurd wearing gang!

I can't make this or next week, trying to finish up all my ink before summer gets here propper.

Friday at the bike park could be doable?

Sounds like a great spinning class..... ;)

Did I mention I'm only starting again next week? You know I never train properly. :huh:

@thumper, we can definitely arrange a ride with some airtime, one of the wednesdays (for anyone who is keen). :thumbup:

I'll come and watch the airtime- too old and chickensh*t to participate

@ patches, we can start a knee and shin gaurd wearing gang!I can't make this or next week, trying to finish up all my ink before summer gets here propper.Friday at the bike park could be doable?

I'll sign up for that gang! Friday afternoons we usually hit the DHL line. But yeah, work function this friday. not sure when I can escape, but will drop you an SMS if I can make the bike park.

I'll come and watch the airtime- too old and chickensh*t to participate

Are you proficient in CPR, splinting fratures, or bandaging wounds? We could always do with some of those skills around us :lol:

@ Ricky Bobby

What time are wheels up?

Yes Champ. We can start one next week Wed/Thurs. Meet up at the Keg (outside not inside) say 16h30ish and bang down the Spruit.