Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Working till 20:00 in the evening and cycling from town till Parow at that hour is stupid and irresponsible. What was i thinking?

The cycle lanes are dark had to ride on the bus lane as two guys tried the jump on me as I passed the first  MyCiti terminus after the gate entry. Scared sh!teless I got to pedaling, out of breath, legs burning and fear being my only inspiration. First attempt and never again by myself.

Needless to say the wind was no help either

Hells bells, glad to hear you made it home safe in the end.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try woodstock, salt river lower main rd, liesbeek parkway, pinelands, thornton, goodwood as an alternative to the paarden-milnerton-bosmansdam. There's (almost) a cycle lane from the bridge out of salt river until grandwest. Not many muggings or attempts that I know of.

I knew an elderly gentleman (Read really old) who used to cummute to work from Table View to Houtbay and back again ... toughen up Tiny K smile.png.pagespeed.ce.6NyMHoRtUg.png

As far as I can remember he was a former Springbok cyclist in his day. did a DC with once

Get a nice loud whistle that you can hang around your neck or on the shoulder of your bag ... this has saved my bacon many a times with pedestrians

get a louder bell...

get a louder bell...

The other thing I have found about my Bell on the commuter bike is that when it rains the Bell gets wet and then does not ring very well......I have the tint tung Bell and not the ring ring Bell [emoji12]

The other thing I have found about my Bell on the commuter bike is that when it rains the Bell gets wet and then does not ring very well......I have the tint tung Bell and not the ring ring Bell [emoji12]

In rain there is usually not many pedestrians so no need for a working bell ;-) Edited by Jaws677

In rain there is usually not many pedestrians so no need for a working bell ;-)

I would like to say I agree with you, but I can't.

The rain ads another layer of most over the ever so Observant pedestrians sight lines.....People react differently in rainy weather, more erratically and end up being less aware of their immediate surroundings.

Rain = extra caution in the bike

Try woodstock, salt river lower main rd, liesbeek parkway, pinelands, thornton, goodwood as an alternative to the paarden-milnerton-bosmansdam. There's (almost) a cycle lane from the bridge out of salt river until grandwest. Not many muggings or attempts that I know of.

Thanks, just worried about the traffic really on that route.

I think simpler fix would be to get a standard 9 to 17:00 and travel with a bike bus. Not many colleagues are willing to try cycling and if they do they sigh on spending on a decent bike.

As far as I can remember he was a former Springbok cyclist in his day. did a DC with once

don't ruin a Story with unnecessary facts :P

Learned a couple of new things on my home commute today.

1. Watch out for cars turning left without indicators and you are behind them (at some speed on a downhill). Almost ended up in the back of a small Merc.

2. Don't have too much fun on the sidewalk, especially when crossing driveways. Almost ended up on the side of a big Jeep (thank goodness for good brakes).

I think my next commute should be a hole lot more relaxed...

Thought I would extend my commute with a trip to Oude Kraal and back,but only got as far as Clifton.Traffic was gridlocked and I was forced to go up Geneva Dr with a fair amount of sweating.Be careful out there