Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to get a kassie for my work as well.  I have a crate that I am using at the moment.  But will be great if I can leave a few shirts at the office as well...  At this stage I have to roll my shirts and backpack it.

Welcome and enjoy but most of all be safe out there. Think for every driver as most of them cant do it for themselves.

Apart from 1 or 2 minor sections, I am pretty much out of the way of any lobotomised drivers.

We have 2 serious bike commuters in our office and we have arranged that they leave their laptops (secured with Kensington locks) at the office when using their bikes. Both have tablets and we allow access to their mails as well as virtual PC if they need to do anything urgently.

We are slowly but surely trying to ensure that people understand work life balance and only do work from home that MUST be done and not just make them feel more important ;)

We have 2 serious bike commuters in our office and we have arranged that they leave their laptops (secured with Kensington locks) at the office when using their bikes. Both have tablets and we allow access to their mails as well as virtual PC if they need to do anything urgently.

We are slowly but surely trying to ensure that people understand work life balance and only do work from home that MUST be done and not just make them feel more important ;)

Just be careful if it is those combo locks, they are not criminal resistant.

Decided last night that I will do proper commute today (that means not using the car to get to work or home and carrying all my stuff I will need for the day).  My back pack is too small, had to leave lunch at home (can buy at work), time to get the bigger one I've been promising myself for weeks. And its time to try and get a locker at work (so that I can leave a pair of shoes).

I left work later than usual (just before 16:00), and for the first time the ride felt soo fulfilling (got to pass lots of cars that was stuck in traffic). Also saw my first accident where a pedestrian was knocked over (didn't look too good).

Couple of gripes:

1. Pedestrians with earphones... walking in the middle of the sidewalk, what a mission to get (safely) past them. All the other pedestrians are courteous and will make way for you with a smile if you ask them to move over (when approaching from behind them).

2. About 5% of cars stop so close to the left hand side of the road, had to dodge plenty of mirrors with my wide handlebar.

Edited by johanpre44

During peak traffic under CT Civic Centre-be careful not to get run over by a luggage trolley as these guys hussle to get luggage to the long distance busses

Decided last night that I will do proper commute today (that means not using the car to get to work or home and carrying all my stuff I will need for the day).  My back pack is too small, had to leave lunch at home (can buy at work), time to get the bigger one I've been promising myself for weeks. And its time to try and get a locker at work (so that I can leave a pair of shoes).

I left work later than usual (just before 16:00), and for the first time the ride felt soo fulfilling (got to pass lots of cars that was stuck in traffic). Also saw my first accident where a pedestrian was knocked over (didn't look too good).

Couple of gripes:

1. Pedestrians with earphones... walking in the middle of the sidewalk, what a mission to get (safely) past them. All the other pedestrians are courteous and will make way for you with a smile if you ask them to move over (when approaching from behind them).

2. About 5% of cars stop so close to the left hand side of the road, had to dodge plenty of mirrors with my wide handlebar.

Get a nice loud whistle that you can hang around your neck or on the shoulder of your bag ... this has saved my bacon many a times with pedestrians

Get a nice loud whistle that you can hang around your neck or on the shoulder of your bag ... this has saved my bacon many a times with pedestrians

Does anyone know of an "air horn" that can take a CO2 bomb? I will strap something like this to my handle bar to warn the "plugged in" pedestrians that I'm approaching. Who knows, it may even work on cars!

Will look for a whistle in the meantime.