Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Albatross said:

Sitting in office surrounded by damp cycling gear, weather app fooled me too.

The fun happens this afternoon if the kit has not dried yet, and you need to put it back on

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

The fun happens this afternoon if the kit has not dried yet, and you need to put it back on

Gear was semi dry on departure and completely dry at end of ride. There’s something creepy about putting a damp bib on though 😳

Hi all. So I'm debating commuting to work. I have a 24km ride to work and back. I live outside pta. On the northern side. I also do physical work. Electrical and security systems. And sometimes work late. I was looking at for example the marvel commuter. Which is an e bike. To go to work and back. I can on the days I finish earlier ride home and then the next day back to the place my guys start at. 2 things: one it's not the best Rd (old Warmbaths Rd) but I can go next to the Rd for most of the distance but not the whole distance. Next to train tracks it's safer for traffic. Bit then crime wise not so much. And I don't want to armed all the time. Any inputs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, peetwindhoek said:

Do you ever weigh your backpack? The other day I was really struggling with my load and the first thing I did when I got home was weigh the backpack with all my stuff in.

17kg! Sheesh, surely it has to make you stronger!

Wow, I occasionally commute (30km one way, then bike in van on return journey home) with one of those FREEBIE Two-Oceans-type ‘drawstring’ backpack, I reckon all my work gear: a T-shirt, u/pants, socks, shorts, and ultra-light shoes (Onitsuka Tigers) , must weigh 1.5kg, and the backpack 150 grams or so! The only modification is I tuck a plastic bag inside the backpack, so sweat from my back is not transferred through the thin backpack fabric, thus keeping clothes dry.

I don’t wish to carry a GRAM of unnecessary weight up Suikerbossie, if I do t have to!
Cheers

Chris