My first commute!!

davetapson

true... although William Nicol has a nice wide shoulder/emergency lane most of the way from Monte to Hyde Park. Then hit Jan Smuts through Rosebank into Braamfontein?!

You could even "dice" some of the Engen morning riders along William Nic :lol:

Yip, but be carefull of taxis. that lane indicated by yellow, its not a emergency lane, its a Taxi, 4x4,suv, luxury car express way.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, but be carefull of taxis. that lane indicated by yellow, its not a emergency lane, its a Taxi, 4x4,suv, luxury car express way.

40 held for driving in emergency lane

2012-03-15 11:32

Johannesburg - More than 40 people were arrested for driving in the emergency lane on Beyers Naude Drive in Johannesburg on Thursday, Gauteng traffic police said.

Most of those arrested were minibus taxi drivers, but there were some private car owners, department spokesperson Busaphi Nxumalo said.

They were arrested for reckless driving and taken to the Honeydew police station.

I'll provide sauce.

haha! yup! I've been clipped by a taxi's mirror while he was using 'his' special lane

40 held for driving in emergency lane

Johannesburg - More than 40 people were arrested for driving in the emergency lane on Beyers Naude Drive in Johannesburg on Thursday, Gauteng traffic police said.

Most of those arrested were minibus taxi drivers, but there were some private car owners, department spokesperson Busaphi Nxumalo said.

They were arrested for reckless driving and taken to the Honeydew police station.[/indent]

I'll provide sauce.

SAWEEET!!

most of the time I use Beyers from Chaplin to the N1 when I travel to work, and it really ticks me off when I see taxi's and many other vehicles come past in the emergency lane. What's more is that they get uppity when you refuse to let them in at the Beyers Naude/Jim Fouche intersection.

It is very seldom that there are metro cops waiting i that lane for offenders. And on occasion when there are, it is during off-peak times when such people don't think offence is 'necessary'.

I often wonder what kind of character a person must possess in ordder to have such little regard for basic traffic rules, and queuing.

This led me to an idea... a passive-aggressive way of getting at them.

I planned to make a sign that like this

post-10758-0-88987900-1331817119.jpg

Whether it will deter people fom abusing the lane or not... who knows?!

Edited by patches

SAWEEET!!

most of the time I use Beyers from Chaplin to the N1 when I travel to work, and it really ticks me off when I see taxi's and many other vehicles come past in the emergency lane. What's more is that they get uppity when you refuse to let them in at the Beyers Naude/Jim Fouche intersection.

It is very seldom that there are metro cops waiting i that lane for offenders. And on occasion when there are, it is during off-peak times when such people don't think offence is 'necessary'.

I often wonder what kind of character a person must possess in ordder to have such little regard for basic traffic rules, and queuing.

This led me to an idea... a passive-aggressive way of getting at them.

I planned to make a sign that like this

post-10758-0-88987900-1331817119.jpg

Whether it will deter people fom abusing the lane or not... who knows?!

Probably wont work...but that doesnt mean you shouldnt do it :whistling:

Probably wont work...but that doesnt mean you shouldnt do it :whistling:

haha! I think purely for the amusement factor of the obedient motorists it'll be worth it!

Edited by patches

So here is the story.

Found out that I can park my car for R70 per month, and then to use our gym for showering and twice a week for spinning will cost R100.

Honestly is this worth the effort for a 20km commute in the morning and 20km in afternoon.

Yes, Damn, it is :)

I also think it is.

Maybe some saving on the @#$%ken toll fees, petrol prices and some exercise. As I nowadays can't even call myself a "Weekend Warrior".

Guys, great bike for commuting is Giant Escape 1, I commute from Lynnwood to Technopark in Centurion daily, going past fountains on the way. The Escape is superfast (compared to Epic 29 with with Schwalbe Racing Ralph) and takes bumps, small jumps, bunnyhopping over obstacles, curb-hopping, etc. in its stride. Super stoked with this bike. Only R 3600 at Bruce Reyneke Cycles.

Guys, great bike for commuting is Giant Escape 1, I commute from Lynnwood to Technopark in Centurion daily, going past fountains on the way. The Escape is superfast (compared to Epic 29 with with Schwalbe Racing Ralph) and takes bumps, small jumps, bunnyhopping over obstacles, curb-hopping, etc. in its stride. Super stoked with this bike. Only R 3600 at Bruce Reyneke Cycles.

Not bad price