In-Complete cyclist service

some random VELO guy

No compensation or apology offered as manager of the shop looked on when I complained bitterly the first time. As for checking my bike, I think that because I had been told that (in addition to new cluster with new chain) each of the front chain rings needed to be replaced because of slight chain suck on test rides I assumed that all was in order and done properly. R3k later. My mistake! Still, I can teach them a thing or two about joining a new chain and securing disc calipers.

Funny how you don't mention the formal apology of the mechanic and him offering to pay for your race entry that you dnf.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of them. I have bike maintenance books and DVD's, borrowing tools I've stripped a road and MTB bike down to minimum and put it together again so i know what goes where and why but 1 can think of better things to do but at least i know how to if i have to. I have a LBS that does a full strip service for R250 which is far less than a good quality single tool i would need .

But you can do 100s of services with R1000 worth of tools. You will not get 100s of services for R1000 from your LBS.

Funny how you don't mention the formal apology of the mechanic and him offering to pay for your race entry that you dnf.

Interesting…

OI!

Don't let any facts infiltrate this perfectly good rant. Two sides to the story just unbalances it.

Don't let any facts infiltrate this perfectly good rant. Two sides to the story just unbalances it.

arnt their 3 sides to a story ???

OI!

Hehe

Egg, Face; Pie, Humble :lol:

I was 'alluding' to the fact that there was a bit more to this story than meets the eye with my earlier question but ja ..... not saying that there wasn't a problem but that 'compensation/apologies were profusely offered' #eksemaarnet

But you can do 100s of services with R1000 worth of tools. You will not get 100s of services for R1000 from your LBS.

R1000 rand for tools, i'm guessing you have proper tools which works out much more? Sure one can always improvise with some tools such as home made cassette , headset and BB remover but the days of fixing a bike with shifting spanner and screwdriver are no more.

To add I do my own garden (including 2 Koi ponds)which keeps me quite busy weekends, while others pay for garden service and I hear charge R300 upwards per month, at that rate i can afford to have a full service done every month on my bike.

Edited by scotty

Sure the mechanic apologized but manager looked on and said nothing. No offer of compensation as I said . Perhaps understaffed.

OK hopefully all sorted. Apologies received from the mechanic with offer of free service and apologies from myself for the rant! :)

Good man. Now adjust the title of the thread slightly :D

OK hopefully all sorted. Apologies received from the mechanic with offer of free service and apologies from myself for the rant! :)

Interested to know, did you go back to the shop, or did they contact you?

I'm not too sure if I would send my bike back for a free service if they couldn't fix it properly the first time. But that's just me.