Plasma vs LCD Big Screen TV's

Brakkies Sport Fotos

What is the diff betwen a Plasma and LCD big screen?

Not more than R10k please (like a 40 or 42" thing)

Model, where to buy etc.

and yes, I do have a valid tv licence (you never know were this is going to end, but I'm listning)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Stax they got some good deals at the moment,LCD not so good for live broadcasts,tend to have a slight image drag.LCD perform better in bright light and plasma better in low light.

You would rather want to purchase a plasma. Plasma screens can be viewed from any angel which is the big advantage over LCD screens. LCD screens also have picture clarity problems with direct sunlight.

Disadvantages of plasma screens is that they have a limited lifespan and image burning onto the screens is common when viewing static pages for long periods of time.

Hope this helps - oh and expect to pay more for a plasma.

What is the "HD"?

i think anything bigger than a 42" will look odd against the wall.

How do you "measure" the size of the screen against the size of the wall, what I mean, how do you know the size of the tv should be.

You dont wanne overkill on the size and its overwhelming.popeye2007-12-04 07:43:12

LCD,LCD,LCD! Plasma is tired. If you are playing games or running DSTV/PVR - you will get screen burn on a plasma.

Put aside a bit of extra cash and make sure you go for Full HD (1080p) insteak of (1080i). This will keep your telly usable for a longer period. Sony is probably best with Samsung shortly after. - IMO. If you have P3 or HD-DVD only Full HD is acceptable. For reviews check Amazon.com

Samtech in Montague Gardens (around the corner from cycle factory) do Samsung in Cape Town. Not sure if it is only service, but they may also be able to order for you as well.

LCD currently on par with PLASMA, and getting better.

Go for broke and get yourself a full HD LCD Samsung at R23k (42")

Pops, then after you get the Plasma you MUST get one of these: http://www.mvix.co.za/ befok! Got like 88movies on mine at the moment, me and Lilo try to watch at least one per night but usually we fall asleep half way throu a movieSmile

Make sure it has HD because in few years time SABC, DSTV company will convert to HD, so normal television will not work.  Rather put money now than throw it away

more info:

No I'm not in the games playing thing. dont have a P3

Got a DVD, Mnet decoder and a DSTV decoder, with a sound system through the output at the back of the TV.

Nothing special like games or that stuff Maruis is talking about.