Plasma vs LCD Big Screen TV's

Brakkies Sport Fotos

1080i is sufficient(HD ready),1080p is good for PS3 or if you got a blu ray player,only around 10 movie titles available for full HD(1080p),when DSTV broadcast in HD it will be 1080i(720p),so not worth the premium you pay.Dont be fooled by the resolutions you see on the demo units in retailers,they use HD "streamers" to get those high resolutions.If you buy yourplasma/LCD make sure you get high quality cables to connect from DSTV/DVD to your panel,makes a noticable differance in picture quality.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HD is merely an input to the tv from dvd etc. just better quality but not be all and end all. LCD better power saver but may not be better picture compared to plasma but depends on what you buy.

Sony over rated. Samsung same set/features/insides but at a better price. Samsung better than the rest.

Size depends on size of the room/distance from which you sitting.

my 2 cents worth

HD is merely an input to the tv from dvd etc. just better quality but not be all and end all. LCD better power saver but may not be better picture compared to plasma but depends on what you buy.

Sony over rated. Samsung same set/features/insides but at a better price. Samsung better than the rest.

my 2 cents worth

Think you mean HDMI(high definition multimedia interface) input,there is a differance,if you have HDMI inputs it does not mean you have a HD or even HD ready panel.HD refers to the resolution the panel can produce.

so for me who dont play P3 games etc.

I will look 4 a LCD, 1080i , HD Ready 40 or 42" screen.?

thanks, now please suggest something in that line. :-)

and

"high quality cables to connect" = what do I look for? names the stuff please.popeye2007-12-04 09:30:05

Oh and walk around that LCD screen first to check all your different viewing angels before buying it, in fact lie down underneath it to check if you can still see the picture clearly, LCD is good but just be careful as you don't always sit facing the screen directly when watching your TV.

my 2 cents worth

Think you mean HDMI(high definition multimedia interface) input' date='there is a differance,if you have HDMI inputs it does not mean you have a HD or even HD ready panel.HD refers to the resolution the panel can produce.
[/quote']

yes, that. got confuzzed. but still say samsung lcd best buy. also depends if u wanna watch more tv or dvd, as broadcasting stations broadcast at a certain pixelation and if your screen to big for your room, then all you see is a heavy pixelated image which is not so cool and against the point of having a lekker tv!?!?!

Ok broeders, I did some research and got this info:(thanks huisgenoot :-)

LCD:

meer realistiese beeld

langer leeftyd as plasma

uitstekende gesigsveld - op tot 178%

spookbeelde wanneer bewegende beeld gekyk word

Goed as P3 gespeel word

+- R2000 duurder as plasma

PLASMA

hoedefinisie beeld

beter beeld vervrisser tempo - geen spookbeelde wanneer bewegende beeld gekyk word

So, Daar is 'n LG (something RV7 MODEL) 42" plasma (black) 2 jaar waarborg vir R9,999

of a Samsung 42" (C9 model) vir R12,799

My call would be the Samsung Plasma. If I remember correctly from your previous post, the LG had a lower end resolution (840x?) whilst the Samsung is 1024x768 and a better contrast ratio of 15,000:1

thanks jamm, yes the LG got a 10,000 x 1

this LG is at the Hipermarket, the other one with that specs was from Makro.

I'm not sure what this one's resolution is. will find out

Popeye, send me a pm, with your email address, I have the correct info for you.

We did some research a few months ago at various stores and at a few suppliers, what we found is that each sales person per store gets a kick back from the suppliers. No store wanted to play a fast moving dvd on LCD. The two Plasma brands did not offer kick backs.

Reason - LCD has a shadow when playing fast moving pictures.

I miss books...

What ever happened to books?

They were so nice with all the pretty pictures and stuff!!

We have LCD TV, and its OK, nothing to write home about in all honesty...

I know in the PC world they state that if you want to play cames on a LCD you hould not settle for anything less the 8ms refresh time. Slower then this and ghosting apears. PC monitors are down to 2ms already. Do they not state this on TVs?