Energy drinks...what to use

From my experience there is not much difference between products in terms of the energy they will release into your body. So long as you eat and drink enough you should have enough energy to race. One big misconception is low GI products. They are in my opinion a waste of money as when you are racing you need the energy to go straight into your blood on a continual basis in order to prevent your glycogen from being depleted and so you need to eat and drink continuously through an event. Actually I race best on a mix of powerade and barone type chocolates. I even used these in the Giro last year because I got so sick of eating the usual bars in december training and racing I could only stomach choc by then. It worked really well.

Just a caution though, if you do take Cytomax monitor your moods. If you have moods swings and get overly aggressive there is a chance the Cytomax is doing that to you. A few of my team mates and I were into Cytomax bigtime at one stage and a couple of us had bad mood swings. We figured it was Cytomax and when we stopped all symptoms gone.

Good luck, bottom line is don't stress too much about expensive products, just make sure you consistantly eat and drink enough throughout an event to sustain the effort.

Hi Break

I have to disagree with you on this, as its even been proven under general testing by one of the worlds leading sports scientists that if you dont even swallow an energy drink just swirl it in your mouth, its has a huge impact on performance equivalent to as if you had swallowed the drink. Sports science has not even yet scratched the surface of sports nutrition and there is a long way to go.

As for 32Gi, the past few months, the following results were achieved and at a very high intensity of racing I can assure you.

7 Gold Medals at Comrades including 1st and 2nd in the mens.

7 Kona Qualifiers for Ironman Hawaii World Champs

BSG Energade Series Win

5150 Triathlon Overall Mens Win

SA Duathlon Championships Win

Podiums and a stage Win at the Tour de Free State, 2nd in the points jersey

Knysna Big 5 Win - Overall Woman

South Africas 1st Gold Medal at the All African Games with a win in the Mens Triathlon

South Africas 2nd Gold Medal at the All African Games with a win in the Womens Triathlon

Xterra European Championships in Germany 4th place overall, 2nd in Sicily

The list really goes on and on, and in all honesty 32Gi athletes have currently racked up more wins and medals in most sports across the country, I would definitely say the puts slow releasing carbohydrates in the limelight don't you?

Its an interesting debate but in all honesty if you read Tim Noakes latest article in the Discovery Health magazine he will say he has been wrong all these years we all have, he has cut out all processed carbs from his diet, and has increased lean eating, he has specifically stated he has had the best running times and best physique in the past 15 years. The problem is we are all so dependent on external energy stores we never really allow ourselves to reach our true potential by tapping into our own, 32Gi allows that, you should try it you might be very surprised. Remember there are no quick fixes, everything boils down to daily nutrition this is the key in any sporting event.

all the best

M

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried Cytomax, USN Cytopower, Hammer Heed and PVM Octane. Of these I can say that I really enjoy using the PVM Octane the most - great taste and gives a nice prolonged boost during races.

I use PVM Octane during any race and the USN Cytopower as a recovery drink afterwards (don't really like the taste though dry.gif )

I've tried Cytomax, USN Cytopower, Hammer Heed and PVM Octane. Of these I can say that I really enjoy using the PVM Octane the most - great taste and gives a nice prolonged boost during races.

I use PVM Octane during any race and the USN Cytopower as a recovery drink afterwards (don't really like the taste though dry.gif )

I have used 32GI the entire 2010 and i had some of my best races and i had some real bad ones as well. I reckon it is a good product but if you use it you have got to make that mindshift to a complete low GI race approach otherwise its worthless.

I changed my strategy slightly now. Now i have some oats and a banana 2-3hrs before race and 50grams of 32GI 1hr before race. During race i have my Jeukendrup mix (2:1 glucose to fructose but the glucose i devide in half dextrose and half maltodextrin). I also have the odd powerbar gel or 2 since its the same consept as my energy drink. This is a real cheap strategy and so far so good!

I use whatever I feel like at the time. 32GI, Powerade, Biogen Cytogen, USN Spike Dragon, Red Bull, USN Cytopower HP, powdered juice, coke... Just try any new drinks/supplements out before an important race or event. The last thing you want is to find out that your new supplement doesn't agree with you halfway into a race.

- I find that 32GI works well enough, although sometimes it makes me feel sick and gives me heart palpitations, but that could just be from drinking other drinks with it.

- Powerade is nice at the beginning, but if you dilute it incorrectly (if you buy the concentrate rather than the pre-mixed bottles) it becomes really sweet and choking.

- Cytogen is my personal favourite, purely because I like the way it tastes. The good thing about it is that the flavour doesn't change when the water heats up. Even if it gets warm it still tastes pretty good. Ensure that you mix it properly, otherwise you get tiny little grains of powder in your mouth.

- USN Spike Dragon and Red Bull shouldn't be used as rehydration because of their caffeine content, but they're great if you're heading out on a ride and need a boost. Watch out though, because caffeine can act as a diuretic.

- Cytopower worked alright, but I don't use that often anymore. I found that the benefit was mostly just mental; it didn't give me a physical boost.

- Use powdered juice (try something like Game) if you're going on an easy ride and don't like the taste of water. Just be sure to mix it properly. If I remember correctly Game doesn't work too well with sparkling water, but I could be mistaken. Then again, I don't think you'll take sparkling water with on a ride.

- Coke is refreshing, but just like Powerade it can become quite sweet. Try diluting it with water first.

Hi all

I don't see anyone mention Energade, any special reason? Been using it for years after long dives and these days carry it in my Hydra pack.

G

I'm kinda partial to Game, not as sweet as Energade. Less phlegm for me

I've tried most drinks and on me they all work the same, why must i pay more for a certain name when much cheaper energade and powerade does the same job. I do however water them down as i find they are too sweet.

Edited by scotty

Was anyone using FastFuel? I believe they have closed shop...is this correct? If so what do you use now, what is the equivalent that gives the same taste/results. I really liked the taste of the orage FastFuel and the effect.

Have tried 32Gi but it didn't grab me...

One thing that I like to do is, in one of my bottles, mix Rehydrate with Game / Energade.

Edited by bclark

What I do is carry water in my bottle (on frame) and Energade in my Hydrapack, just in case it gets to sweat.

G

Hi Break

I have to disagree with you on this, as its even been proven under general testing by one of the worlds leading sports scientists that if you dont even swallow an energy drink just swirl it in your mouth, its has a huge impact on performance equivalent to as if you had swallowed the drink. Sports science has not even yet scratched the surface of sports nutrition and there is a long way to go.

As for 32Gi, the past few months, the following results were achieved and at a very high intensity of racing I can assure you.

7 Gold Medals at Comrades including 1st and 2nd in the mens.

7 Kona Qualifiers for Ironman Hawaii World Champs

BSG Energade Series Win

5150 Triathlon Overall Mens Win

SA Duathlon Championships Win

Podiums and a stage Win at the Tour de Free State, 2nd in the points jersey

Knysna Big 5 Win - Overall Woman

South Africas 1st Gold Medal at the All African Games with a win in the Mens Triathlon

South Africas 2nd Gold Medal at the All African Games with a win in the Womens Triathlon

Xterra European Championships in Germany 4th place overall, 2nd in Sicily

The list really goes on and on, and in all honesty 32Gi athletes have currently racked up more wins and medals in most sports across the country, I would definitely say the puts slow releasing carbohydrates in the limelight don't you?

Its an interesting debate but in all honesty if you read Tim Noakes latest article in the Discovery Health magazine he will say he has been wrong all these years we all have, he has cut out all processed carbs from his diet, and has increased lean eating, he has specifically stated he has had the best running times and best physique in the past 15 years. The problem is we are all so dependent on external energy stores we never really allow ourselves to reach our true potential by tapping into our own, 32Gi allows that, you should try it you might be very surprised. Remember there are no quick fixes, everything boils down to daily nutrition this is the key in any sporting event.

all the best

M

Hi M

I don't disagree that low GI eating is good for you in general, but I am referring to high intensity racing here. If you are racing at an avergae of 900kCal for 3 hours, eating low GI is just not going to get the food digested as quickly as a higher GI food. You are basically going to run out of glycogen sooner than you need to. What I am getting at is that eating with low GI must not be confused with racing with low GI at high intensity.

Would you mind sending me a link or a reference to the testing with low GI food at high intenisties. I assume this is the testing you mentioned.

Tim's times most probably improved because he lost excess body fat and was generally healthier from the low GI nutirition during non high intensities, but unless he had seconds on route he most probably was not drinking low GI during his racing or am I wrong? If I am right, low GI was not used during high intensities.

One more thing I must ask, is 32GI one of the major sponsors of todays elite athletes and are they specifically targeting the top guys mentioned here? Specialized won more stages in the TDF than any other this year. That does not make it the best bike, it was just sponsored to the team with the best sprinter and lead out guys.

Anyway, I do believe that there is to be a lot more testing put into high intensity racing and for extended times over 2 hours to see the actual effects of high vs. low GI.

Hi M

I don't disagree that low GI eating is good for you in general, but I am referring to high intensity racing here. If you are racing at an avergae of 900kCal for 3 hours, eating low GI is just not going to get the food digested as quickly as a higher GI food. You are basically going to run out of glycogen sooner than you need to. What I am getting at is that eating with low GI must not be confused with racing with low GI at high intensity.

Would you mind sending me a link or a reference to the testing with low GI food at high intenisties. I assume this is the testing you mentioned.

Tim's times most probably improved because he lost excess body fat and was generally healthier from the low GI nutirition during non high intensities, but unless he had seconds on route he most probably was not drinking low GI during his racing or am I wrong? If I am right, low GI was not used during high intensities.

One more thing I must ask, is 32GI one of the major sponsors of todays elite athletes and are they specifically targeting the top guys mentioned here? Specialized won more stages in the TDF than any other this year. That does not make it the best bike, it was just sponsored to the team with the best sprinter and lead out guys.

Anyway, I do believe that there is to be a lot more testing put into high intensity racing and for extended times over 2 hours to see the actual effects of high vs. low GI.

I agree with a lot of the comments made but most of our top athletes are actually performers for events of really long distances and we have seen performance testing benefits on the product. Even though yes its a low GI carb it release immediately though, but smaller doses over a longer period of time.

Yesterday just as a matter of interest Lindsay van Aswegen and Kerry Koen raced at World 100km championships on our product and placed 3rd and 9th overall, and unbelievable achievement.

The problem with high GI is that lets look at a mountain biking event, its technical and you cannot always leave go the handle bars to reach down to feed yourself as u will come off for sure. So feed are very infrequent. But if you are using a slower release carb that releases constantly but over a longer period of time, then the feeding is less frequent but you are getting your sustainability, it makes it a lot easier. We dont just target the athletes and say use our product, they try it, test, and then come to us and say we like it, there is no emotional roller coaster ride, no up and down a good level of stability. Just as an example, I raced 94.7 a few years ago on water alone, 2h21 finished with the VA bunch, actually tried to break away at heart break hill for the win, and they caught me 400m before the line, but my point is i was only using water and that was very high intensity racing. I just had an excellent pre-race meal. Dr Asker Jeukendrup a leading sportscientist did some testing on athletes over a 3hour period giving some energy drink to swallow and the other part of the group he only let them swig it in their mouth and then they had to spit it out without swallowing. Both groups reached the same performance level there was no advantage to the group that drank the drink and swallowed. Food for thought, that the brain plays an extremely crucial role in performance.

I still believe sports science is 20 years behind in nutrition, we only know of replacing lost calories and taking in a certain amount of carbs an hour etc, but we have not even scratched the surface of where exactly we should be, the biggest problem with us humans is the need to use sugar ;-).

We are releasing a new product into the market very soon, In think this will be the answer to high intensity requirements, its a very different take, but so far testing with over 30 professional athletes has shown this to be an extremely functional drink for high intensity racing, will keep u posted.

all the best

M

I agree with a lot of the comments made but most of our top athletes are actually performers for events of really long distances and we have seen performance testing benefits on the product. Even though yes its a low GI carb it release immediately though, but smaller doses over a longer period of time.

Yesterday just as a matter of interest Lindsay van Aswegen and Kerry Koen raced at World 100km championships on our product and placed 3rd and 9th overall, and unbelievable achievement.

The problem with high GI is that lets look at a mountain biking event, its technical and you cannot always leave go the handle bars to reach down to feed yourself as u will come off for sure. So feed are very infrequent. But if you are using a slower release carb that releases constantly but over a longer period of time, then the feeding is less frequent but you are getting your sustainability, it makes it a lot easier. We dont just target the athletes and say use our product, they try it, test, and then come to us and say we like it, there is no emotional roller coaster ride, no up and down a good level of stability. Just as an example, I raced 94.7 a few years ago on water alone, 2h21 finished with the VA bunch, actually tried to break away at heart break hill for the win, and they caught me 400m before the line, but my point is i was only using water and that was very high intensity racing. I just had an excellent pre-race meal. Dr Asker Jeukendrup a leading sportscientist did some testing on athletes over a 3hour period giving some energy drink to swallow and the other part of the group he only let them swig it in their mouth and then they had to spit it out without swallowing. Both groups reached the same performance level there was no advantage to the group that drank the drink and swallowed. Food for thought, that the brain plays an extremely crucial role in performance.

I still believe sports science is 20 years behind in nutrition, we only know of replacing lost calories and taking in a certain amount of carbs an hour etc, but we have not even scratched the surface of where exactly we should be, the biggest problem with us humans is the need to use sugar ;-).

We are releasing a new product into the market very soon, In think this will be the answer to high intensity requirements, its a very different take, but so far testing with over 30 professional athletes has shown this to be an extremely functional drink for high intensity racing, will keep u posted.

all the best

M

MDW, I do not want to get involved in an argument once again. I have well qualified medical advice that the escape I offered you last time is invalid.

You market yourself as an 'nutrition expert', however the true experts (registered dieticians) disagree with you. That same message from the dieticians (as explained by The_Break, experienced by myself, as well as numerous other athletes, is that 32GI does not work for high intensity activities. Could you please provide us with evidence of how many grams of carbs are release into the body by Isomaltulose (the active ingredient of 32GI)?

I am not going to go into an argument about our leading athletes, as the marketing they are doing for their sponsors on places like Twitter and Facebook states only one thing, namely that they are 'in the pocket'... Take Alae Brand's latest post: "thanks @focusbikesSa for my trusty steed and @compressportSaf for the compressions/leg warmers... fueled by @32Gi of course ;o)". Carla van Huysteen has fortunately stopped pushing her sponsors' products .

Our pro athletes are good, irrespective of what they are using. I'm sure they can use dam water and still be competitive over the Olympic distance events!

Dr Asker Jeukendrup's research is irrelevant to low/medium/high GI products, but only indicates that there is a carbohydrate receptor in the mouth, which triggers the mind (central governor theory - Dr Tim Noakes) to allow continuous high intensity exercise. Quoting that (out of context and irrelevant to the low / high gi argument) seems like just more marketing bull....

Please stop trying to fool the people? Could you please provide the chemical path breakdown of how Isomaltulose is turned into energy for use by the various energy pathways in the body?

If you feel not to reply on the forum, send the analysis to me at (my hub username)@gmail.com as I'd love to have a proper look at how it is broken down into fuel.