Energy drinks...what to use

These days there are so many supplements and energy drinks out there, I still like powerade, although I know it is surely not the best in terms of sugar content and carbs and popping a goo during a race can't be great either.

I heard of some cyclists using GI32,Cytomax,Epicpro etc...

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I would really appreciate some advice from fellow cyclist, than some oversize gym goon in the Dischem isle.

lastly I have been struggling with headaches after a 2 hour+ ride, and I am sure that the energy drinks has something to do with it, any suggestions?

Your comments are appreciated

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32GI is good , but you get sick of the sweet taste if you ride a lot. I switched to Enduren which is virtually flavourless. I can't give you a scientific answer as to which drink is the best, but Enduren agrees with me and seems to work as a supplement.

I think it's part science, part personal choice. It's all good and well having someone suggest the most advanced drink, but if it makes you queasy, find something else.

32GI is good , but you get sick of the sweet taste if you ride a lot. I switched to Enduren which is virtually flavourless. I can't give you a scientific answer as to which drink is the best, but Enduren agrees with me and seems to work as a supplement.

I've bypassed the sweet taste by mixing in a scoop of Peptopro.

Also suffered major headaches after long rides, was all down to dehydration. Use muscle science or usn and now I can ride for hours and hours

From my experience there is not much difference between products in terms of the energy they will release into your body. So long as you eat and drink enough you should have enough energy to race. One big misconception is low GI products. They are in my opinion a waste of money as when you are racing you need the energy to go straight into your blood on a continual basis in order to prevent your glycogen from being depleted and so you need to eat and drink continuously through an event. Actually I race best on a mix of powerade and barone type chocolates. I even used these in the Giro last year because I got so sick of eating the usual bars in december training and racing I could only stomach choc by then. It worked really well.

Just a caution though, if you do take Cytomax monitor your moods. If you have moods swings and get overly aggressive there is a chance the Cytomax is doing that to you. A few of my team mates and I were into Cytomax bigtime at one stage and a couple of us had bad mood swings. We figured it was Cytomax and when we stopped all symptoms gone.

Good luck, bottom line is don't stress too much about expensive products, just make sure you consistantly eat and drink enough throughout an event to sustain the effort.

The hammer stuff (perpetium / heed) has a much more neutral flavor - and although 32Gi works well i find it too sweet.

Ive been using Cytomax forever - def my rocket fuel of choice. i guess its a matter of finding what works for you. just make sure it has a lot of good quality low Gi carbs and you can't really go wrong. And make sure you drink enough of it! especially for rides that are 2hrs+

I use those Power bar gels and Game. The gel really kicks in quickly, it gives me a hell of a boost. The game is just for something sweet and water for thirst. I do however suffer from dizzyness if I get off from my bike... I only use the gel during a race tho.

From my experience there is not much difference between products in terms of the energy they will release into your body. So long as you eat and drink enough you should have enough energy to race. One big misconception is low GI products. They are in my opinion a waste of money as when you are racing you need the energy to go straight into your blood on a continual basis in order to prevent your glycogen from being depleted and so you need to eat and drink continuously through an event. Actually I race best on a mix of powerade and barone type chocolates. I even used these in the Giro last year because I got so sick of eating the usual bars in december training and racing I could only stomach choc by then. It worked really well.

Just a caution though, if you do take Cytomax monitor your moods. If you have moods swings and get overly aggressive there is a chance the Cytomax is doing that to you. A few of my team mates and I were into Cytomax bigtime at one stage and a couple of us had bad mood swings. We figured it was Cytomax and when we stopped all symptoms gone.

Good luck, bottom line is don't stress too much about expensive products, just make sure you consistantly eat and drink enough throughout an event to sustain the effort.

aaaaah, so thats why i get angry at the taxi drivers that cut me off! :lol: Luckily I've never had any issues with mood swings etc... (granted i only use ti around 3 times a week with rides longer than 2 hrs) i find low Gi has a more sustained energy release than say powerade / energade - which from my experience makes my sugar spike - quick bursts of energy- but drops just as quickly. much like corn syrup.

each to their own i guess... just try some diff products until you find something that clicks for you.(preferably during training and not the day of the big race.

MONSTER

RED BULL energy shots

Rock Star energy Cola

WARNING: Do not drink with any other caffeinated drinks within 24 hours, may cause heart populations!

That what I look for in an Energy drink :thumbup:

The hammer stuff (perpetium / heed) has a much more neutral flavor - and although 32Gi works well i find it too sweet.

Ive been using Cytomax forever - def my rocket fuel of choice. i guess its a matter of finding what works for you. just make sure it has a lot of good quality low Gi carbs and you can't really go wrong. And make sure you drink enough of it! especially for rides that are 2hrs+

Hey Audible, have you tried the 32Gi Neutral flavour it can be used on its own or in conjunction with the other flavours to provide your own level of sweetness, give it a shot.