Polar IRDA for Windows 7

Grebel

I decided to use the search function :clap: . The little blank strip top right hand corner? Some of you might be aware of it... and came across this thread in the old classifieds:

Polar IR

My question is whether or not any advance has been made regarding this issue of getting the white one to work on Windows 7 64bit?

I dug out my Polar S720i software and IRDA this weekend as I have been using the watch when I go to spinning classes and wanted to download and have a look at the data on the watch. I am running Window 7 64bit Ultimate. The software installed no problem. I plugged in the dongle (See picture below) and got an error message regarding the driver installation.

post-17843-0-44769300-1315818567.jpg

Had a look online and no luck. It doesn't look like you can use the big white dongle with Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. It worked fine with XP. (Just upgraded my machine and loaded Windows 7)

Has anybody had any luck getting these to work on Windows 7?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a dongle

I think you need a dongle, it does not have to be the Polar one though.

Sorry, Dongle may have been the incorrect term. I think the right term for this is a docking station or something. Point is it worked in XP but not in Windows 7. Will any infra red USB thingy work?

When I got my new lap top last year, none of the computer shops could guarantee that the USB thingies would work properly on Windows 7, so I ended up getting the Polar USB one for R500.00 odd (that stung!)

I imagine that if you got a Windows 7 compliant USB adaptor/dongle you should be OK.

post-615-0-13246800-1315820012.jpg

When I got my new lap top last year, none of the computer shops could guarantee that the USB thingies would work properly on Windows 7, so I ended up getting the Polar USB one for R500.00 odd (that stung!)

I imagine that if you got a Windows 7 compliant USB adaptor/dongle you should be OK.

Thanks Splat. That is what I was trying to avoid... Surely IR is IR? As long as it works on that platform, it should be OK... Can't see how Polar would develope their own frequency IR to only work on their products? I may be mistaken though. Stranger things have happenned. I will go and have a look at what IR USB sticks are available and which ones work with Windows 7.

I used a generic Dongle (Sigma I think) that I probably had lying around for 10 years. Polar tells you that you have to use theirs but they are wrong.

I used an ordinary Ir adaptor on my old computer, but it wouldn't work on Windows 7.

It's not a Polar specific thing, but Polar did have the product and it was Windows 7 compliant.

I have run into other hassles with the Pro Trainer software that I couldnt be bothered to sort out. I cant do updates etc.

Just gone through the same thing. Used an older Irda for some time, then laptop got stolen. Bought another generic irda and it wont work with windows7. Ended up having to buy the polar one...Expensive for what it is, at least it works now.

I used a generic Dongle (Sigma I think) that I probably had lying around for 10 years. Polar tells you that you have to use theirs but they are wrong.

I think I have the same. Been using it since 2002. Just installed it for Win7 64 bit. Works without a problem, downloaded new Win7 drivers from the Internet.

Thanks Splat. That is what I was trying to avoid... Surely IR is IR? As long as it works on that platform, it should be OK... Can't see how Polar would develope their own frequency IR to only work on their products? I may be mistaken though. Stranger things have happenned. I will go and have a look at what IR USB sticks are available and which ones work with Windows 7.

Contact Polar in SA and ask them if you can use the old IR Dock. Surely they should be able to help you. Sorri I do not have their number.

Contact Polar in SA and ask them if you can use the old IR Dock. Surely they should be able to help you. Sorri I do not have their number.

I just spoke to a Travis from Polar (IHF Products to be exact (011) 805-1028). Very helpful guy!

He recommended that I try a few things first and if they don't work, I will unfortunately have to buy the Polar IR adaptor.

The reasons being that the older S720i's like mine run a slower IR transfer rate. The generic IR's run at the higher rate. All the newer Polar IR products are able to transfer at the higher rate and are therefore compatible with the generic adaptors. The current adaptors have the ability to read both the slower and higher rates. Winows 7 doesn't support the older versions so there are no drivers available. I am going to try and con Windows 7 tonight using W2000 drivers. Wish me luck!

I just spoke to a Travis from Polar (IHF Products to be exact (011) 805-1028). Very helpful guy!

He recommended that I try a few things first and if they don't work, I will unfortunately have to buy the Polar IR adaptor.

The reasons being that the older S720i's like mine run a slower IR transfer rate. The generic IR's run at the higher rate. All the newer Polar IR products are able to transfer at the higher rate and are therefore compatible with the generic adaptors. The current adaptors have the ability to read both the slower and higher rates. Winows 7 doesn't support the older versions so there are no drivers available. I am going to try and con Windows 7 tonight using W2000 drivers. Wish me luck!

My HRM is a 725i and it works with the cheep and cheerfull thingie I have.

Winows 7 doesn't support the older versions so there are no drivers available. I am going to try and con Windows 7 tonight using W2000 drivers. Wish me luck!

Why not try running the current IR adapter you have with an Xp VM?

Why not try running the current IR adapter you have with an Xp VM?

How do I do that? 'Scuse the ignorance... :blush: