Polar IRDA for Windows 7

Grebel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snip... I am going to try and con Windows 7 tonight using W2000 drivers. Wish me luck!

Turns out Bill Gates is smarter than me...for now. The W2000 route as outlined by Travis from Polar was a no go. Going to try Bob's suggestion later and see how it goes.

Bob, you are a legend! That XP inside 7 thing is great! Picked up the Irda, installed the software, even the light flashes on the paddle thingy when I transmit from the watch. Nothing gets to the software though... I am going to try a mates newer IR Polar stick and see what happens. Might be the only way!

Polar S725i, die faux carbon ene. Dink dit is selle as jou S720i

That is the problem right there. The guy from Polar explained that the 720 series was one of the first with infrared and it transferred at a slower speed that the newer ones. After that Polar changed the IR to a faster transfer speed and that is why the generic IR USB sticks work with the newer Polar products. The Polar branded USB stick is able to read both the old and new transfer speeds. The white paddle that I have can only read the slower transfer speed but Windows 7 doesn't support the drivers hence my problem.

I know the old type receiver does not work on the 800 series Polar

Different transfer speeds. Older one only reads slower speed. The 800 transfers faster.

That is the problem right there. The guy from Polar explained that the 720 series was one of the first with infrared and it transferred at a slower speed that the newer ones. After that Polar changed the IR to a faster transfer speed and that is why the generic IR USB sticks work with the newer Polar products. The Polar branded USB stick is able to read both the old and new transfer speeds. The white paddle that I have can only read the slower transfer speed but Windows 7 doesn't support the drivers hence my problem.

OK maar WDF gan ons doen as Windows 8 wat hulle nou op CNN van praat die rakke strike! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK maar WDF gan ons doen as Windows 8 wat hulle nou op CNN van praat die rakke strike! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopelik sal dit you Polar dingetjie lees. Anders sal jy moet k@k en betaal vir 'n nuwe Polar dingetjie!!

• 1 month later...

I tried a mates silver Polar IRDA dongle and all the info transferred from the watch without a hitch! Looks like I am in for a silver dongle purchase. Anybody interested in one like the pic at the the beginning of this thread? Works fine with XP but no good on Windows 7.

I tried a mates silver Polar IRDA dongle and all the info transferred from the watch without a hitch! Looks like I am in for a silver dongle purchase. Anybody interested in one like the pic at the the beginning of this thread? Works fine with XP but no good on Windows 7.

Go to a pc shop and buy one.You don't need the Polar one. ;)

Go to a pc shop and buy one.You don't need the Polar one. ;)

What he said. Get a ir dongle that has the win 7 drivers and you'll be fine.

• 1 year later...

You might have seen my recent unfortunate experience in Rant 'n Rave, of having my car broken into while riding the Hoogenkraal trail. So I had to install Polar ProTrainer on the new laptop ... running Windows 7 of course. I still have the silver Infra Red dongle from Polar, for my S720 HRM. Of course, Windows 7 didn't find the necessary drivers and the Polar drivers I have for Windows XP are not compatible with a 64bit operating system. So here's how I got it to work:

Plugging the STIR42xx adaptor into the USB port, generated a message to the effect that drivers were not successfully installed. I then opened the new icon in the Notification Area (right hand side of Task Bar), which appeared to have a paper clip over the left corner. Hovering over it, popped up an info box, indicating the same message as previously mentioned. Clicking on that icon, opened a window, which offered a button with the option to Change Settings ... which I did and selected the (recommended) radio button to allow Windows to select the best driver. Windows scanned the web for a while, but found a suitable driver, automatically installed it and my IR device is a worker!!!

Edited by Climate