Dangers of riding on anti-inflammatories

tombeej

This is the last paragraph of the article:

When, then, are ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory painkillers justified? “When you have inflammation and pain from an acute injury,” Warden says. “In that situation, NSAIDs are very effective.” But to take them “before every workout or match is a mistake.”

Sounds like he might also be in the "everything in moderation camp".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the last paragraph of the article:

When, then, are ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory painkillers justified? “When you have inflammation and pain from an acute injury,” Warden says. “In that situation, NSAIDs are very effective.” But to take them “before every workout or match is a mistake.”

Sounds like he might also be in the "everything in moderation camp".

moderation implies regular use, just not too much of it. Not the same as 'in emergency' as stated above

moderation implies regular use, just not too much of it. Not the same as 'in emergency' as stated above

No, I dont agree, most people I think would see moderation as sticking relatively close to recommended dosages.

Most athletes or even sedentary folk take an anti-inflammatory in normal dosages, (ie) moderation, taking 5 Myprodals on the final 10kms of the Comrades is guaranteed to have consequences, taking one or two wont.

Does anyone have any experiance with coxflam in stead of cataflam. Doc said its ok to take it before hard session??

(Deep end)

If you are hurting so much from a hard session that you need medication to recover, something is wrong and the solution should not be sought in medication. Your body is telling you something, and you should rather listen to it, not use chemicals to tell it to keep quiet!

How about going to a biokineticist to have a muscle imbalance / strength assessment. Then just do the exercises prescribed the way they tell you to do it. It is not a quick fix, however in the long term it will be more beneficial to your health...

For my own interests I just looked up the word "moderation" and it seems the accepted definition is: "nothing in excess" so I guess that now opens up a whole new debate as everyone will have differing levels of excess :)

In the case of me and taking painkiller/antiinflamitories for excercise... My accepted level of use would be to take enough to get me to the end of a race if I was running the risk of DNFing and that is all anything more than that I would view to be excessive. I would not use them for training and I would not make a habit of using them in racing. If this did become the case then I would seek to find the reason why I needed them and sort that out.

No, I dont agree, most people I think would see moderation as sticking relatively close to recommended dosages.

Most athletes or even sedentary folk take an anti-inflammatory in normal dosages, (ie) moderation, taking 5 Myprodals on the final 10kms of the Comrades is guaranteed to have consequences, taking one or two wont.

Taking pain tablets towards the end of a long run (Comrades/Two Oceans/ Circuit Races) I deem as regular, and not emergency use (for acute injury), but lets agree to disagree. I just detest chemicals to trick the body in pushing harder than what it can/should/want to go. Pretty much like WADA, just a bit more

Does anyone have any experiance with coxflam in stead of cataflam. Doc said its ok to take it before hard session??

No, I dont know it at all but why would you question your doctors advice.?

How do top athlethes get away with using them for such extended periods though, and thats being administered by trained professionals? :unsure:

Taking pain tablets towards the end of a long run (Comrades/Two Oceans/ Circuit Races) I deem as regular, and not emergency use (for acute injury), but lets agree to disagree. I just detest chemicals to trick the body in pushing harder than what it can/should/want to go. Pretty much like WADA, just a bit more

:D - Ha,Ha, yeah fair enough.

I am a regular taker of anti inflammatory medication (in moderation :D and under a neuro's advice)as I have two spinal fusions and the musculature around the fusion will never recover to what it was when I was 25, so I have regular back pain. You have to balance your needs, I could sit at home and watch TV all day and I likely would not need the medication, but I prefer to run, ride, swim, hike, gym whatever - which means like tonight after a 12 km run this morning, my spine is aching - 2 x Cataflams before bed and tomorrow I will be fine again. :)

How do top athlethes get away with using them for such extended periods though, and thats being administered by trained professionals? :unsure:

You can use them for long periods, I have used them for over 5 years regularly, and by that I mean at least two occasions a week. I use them according to a neurologists prescription and I have no side effects.

You can use them for long periods, I have used them for over 5 years regularly, and by that I mean at least two occasions a week. I use them according to a neurologists prescription and I have no side effects.

I was on diazipam for 6 months, practically everyday because of chronic back pain (got whiplash from commuting to work). Not the best of times I must admit. :( It was six months I can barely remember though, I was on cloud nine most of the time but just had to soldier on.

Mate, I say F^ck the Doc ....He probably only has 5 to 7 years medical study and then some practical experience.

If you want your experiance or experience - Dringle, Bingle, Zongle, Dongle, BigH SmallZ, MediumD .... and the rest of us have googled, oogled and hubbed all subjects... ....you will always get the best medical advice on the Hub. (Note; we are 'contracted out' but we are available 24/7 and do not charge double time after hours)

So, we say ; anything in moderation - so if a little coxflam is good;.then a lot of coxflam will be even better.

:thumbup:

Edited by Lounge Lizard

:D - Ha,Ha, yeah fair enough.

I am a regular taker of anti inflammatory medication (in moderation :D and under a neuro's advice)as I have two spinal fusions and the musculature around the fusion will never recover to what it was when I was 25, so I have regular back pain. You have to balance your needs, I could sit at home and watch TV all day and I likely would not need the medication, but I prefer to run, ride, swim, hike, gym whatever - which means like tonight after a 12 km run this morning, my spine is aching - 2 x Cataflams before bed and tomorrow I will be fine again. :)

;) You're excused. tongue.gif

But others should rather find out what the doc says before regular (even moderate) self medication, or identify the reason for pains if not known ...

;) You're excused. tongue.gif

But others should rather find out what the doc says before regular (even moderate) self medication, or identify the reason for pains if not known ...

For sure, if in doubt see your doc.

For sure, if in doubt see your doc.

So WTF is google for?