Skewer mounts for bike rack

Cav'

Mi ideal rack for a bakkie would be something attached to the tailgate. If you drop the gate, the bike move out. Or at least something on sliding rails.

:thumbup: The sliding part is fine as the wheels will roll as you drop the tailgate. the tricky part is getting the spindle that is attached to your fork to pivot as you open the tailgate. You would need a "hub" to be attached to the tailgate with an axle on bearings or bushes to pivot as you opened it.

There is a big gap in the market locally for reasonably priced bakkie bin racks. I thought I would be able to fill that gap but it wasn't to be. There are so many ideas that could work. Just need to find the right one at the right price that people will buy...

I have seen everything from Heath Robinson arrangements to inverted plough disks to very well engineered brackets.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: The sliding part is fine as the wheels will roll as you drop the tailgate. the tricky part is getting the spindle that is attached to your fork to pivot as you open the tailgate. You would need a "hub" to be attached to the tailgate with an axle on bearings or bushes to pivot as you opened it.

There is a big gap in the market locally for reasonably priced bakkie bin racks. I thought I would be able to fill that gap but it wasn't to be. There are so many ideas that could work. Just need to find the right one at the right price that people will buy...

I have seen everything from Heath Robinson arrangements to inverted plough disks to very well engineered brackets.

Did you check that link I posted for some ideas

Here's a crazy idea. You know the cattle grid cages that's on farmer's bakkies. Now imagine a closed one where the bikes hang upside down from their wheels. Still plenty of packing space underneath the bikes. But that idea you can fit into a panel van or VW Caddy.

This was very helpfull did you try it yourself aswell?

Pity you are in PTA :thumbdown: My dad started making a similar one for badiejb but he just disappeared after my dad was almost complete :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Otherwise, you could have bought that one like I had modeled on that DIY thread - it had been modified to fit a Corsa bakkie.

Did you check that link I posted for some ideas

Thanks, I did! Book marked for future reference as well :thumbup: You have to be careful about copying other peoples ides though. Would be cool to make for yourself but if you intend selling them, it could be a problem.

Here's a crazy idea. You know the cattle grid cages that's on farmer's bakkies. Now imagine a closed one where the bikes hang upside down from their wheels. Still plenty of packing space underneath the bikes. But that idea you can fit into a panel van or VW Caddy.

Cool idea and you could fit sliding heavy duty runners to slide the bikes out as well! Like I said, so many ideas but finding the right ones to market is the problem.

I ended up with what I've got out of necessity because I was tired of noodles and blankets. I will even use my own vehicle to meet people at a race if it meant lying my bike down in the back of someone else's car to share a lift (The only downside is that my rack currently won't work inside a canopy :( ). Thule and the like obviously don't see a big market for bakkie racks here if you look at the stock that they currently have on offer at bike shops etc. That is why threads like this one pop up every so often!