Skewer mounts for bike rack

Cav'

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was very helpfull did you try it yourself aswell?

I designed and made the three bike carrier for double cabs. Works like a dream! Road (Depending on the length of the bin) and MTB.

It works really well with a small half ton bakkie. Place for two bikes and wheels as well as race luggage!

Buy a cheap front axle with skewer and weld it up. Cheapest, simplest.

Just don't weld through the axle, it makes inserting the skewer a bit tricky ;)

This was very helpfull did you try it yourself aswell?

Grebel

How do i fix the skewers inside the tubing is it loose?

Thanks

Building it this weekend for shure

I Will be building this one like you did for my Bantam to hold 3 Mtb's. is there any advice/info/sizes you can give me to keep from f ing it up on the first try :blush:

post-26427-0-54790600-1315921166.jpg

Grebel

How do i fix the skewers inside the tubing is it loose?

Thanks

Building it this weekend for shure

The skewers are not fixed inside the tube. The tube is actually a CNC machined spindle that mimics the hub and axle of your front wheel. providing a secure fixing point for your fork. If you don't have access to a lathe, you could make a plan with 1/2" waterpipe and some washers. It will look back yard but will do the job. Alternatively try find the Holdfast brackets and bolt them to the frame.

I didn't like the idea of having something fixed to my bin because I don't only load bikes in there and I didn't want to drill holes either. This works fine. Put it in, attach the bikes and take it out when you are finished. Takes up very little space in the garage as well.

Use elastic stretchy things to help secure the bikes if you like as well.

I Will be building this one like you did for my Bantam to hold 3 Mtb's. is there any advice/info/sizes you can give me to keep from f ing it up on the first try :blush:

PM on it's way...

Edited by Grebel

Oh ja, some advice when building stuff at home: measure three times, cut once! The width can be customised to suit your bin width so the rack doesn't slide left to right when cornering.

Now if you take this design and run the end pieces to about 50mm short of the full width of the bin and then put adjustable table feet on the ends (pointing outwards), it can kick out against the bin sides and not move side to side. Relax the feet and rack can be removed.

Now if you take this design and run the end pieces to about 50mm short of the full width of the bin and then put adjustable table feet on the ends (pointing outwards), it can kick out against the bin sides and not move side to side. Relax the feet and rack can be removed.

Good thinking Batman :thumbup:

Check out this site, they show various brands bakkie mountings, My link .

Edited by Caerus

My product was initially available through retail outlets, but due to a poor sales response after a few months, I decided to pull the consignment stock. The idea of the adjustable ends was a consideration, but when you consider the varying widths of the load bins currently on the road, I would either have to carry a wide range of stock options or make to order and as everybody knows, buying a bike rack is generally a grudge purchase that you need immediately. Nobody wants to wait two weeks for delivery of a custom unit. I was able to sell a couple but it wasn't going to make me rich... I decided that goodwill was the better way to go!

If you can build it yourself, why not! I am still open to orders though for those that don't have the equipment or expertise and I will custom build to your vehicle's dimensions. Self install trailer racks that attach to the lid are also available.

My product was initially available through retail outlets, but due to a poor sales response after a few months, I decided to pull the consignment stock. The idea of the adjustable ends was a consideration, but when you consider the varying widths of the load bins currently on the road, I would either have to carry a wide range of stock options or make to order and as everybody knows, buying a bike rack is generally a grudge purchase that you need immediately. Nobody wants to wait two weeks for delivery of a custom unit. I was able to sell a couple but it wasn't going to make me rich... I decided that goodwill was the better way to go!

If you can build it yourself, why not! I am still open to orders though for those that don't have the equipment or expertise and I will custom build to your vehicle's dimensions. Self install trailer racks that attach to the lid are also available.

Make the one side telescopic with holes and pins every 30mm for about 150-200mm. Okay it will through the design a bit off-centre but it will be adjustable.

Make the one side telescopic with holes and pins every 30mm for about 150-200mm. Okay it will through the design a bit off-centre but it will be adjustable.

Another design that went out the window... The sliding setup with a pin, wouldn't put it off centre with a two bike rack if the adjustment was in the middle and the outside dimensions remained the same. The problem came with the three bike rack. The bikes are spaced to allow luggage and wheels etc to fit inbetween. The closer spacing wouldn't be that much of an issue if it was only say 50mm, but it would unevenly space the bikes which was an issue to me. I was playing with various designs but in the end decided to leave it up to holdfast ahd Thule. I still build for myself as I require. More fun that way!!

Mi ideal rack for a bakkie would be something attached to the tailgate. If you drop the gate, the bike move out. Or at least something on sliding rails.