IM70.3 SA

gadget

So not a PB course then! Definately not shelling out R5000+ to go and do it then. Next year I want a sub 5 HIM and EL is clearly not that place to get that.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you're from but Hekpoort , Sterkies and the Tracking station route are good options. From the bottom of Hekpoort to Keywest in Krugersdorp is about similar to the 70.3 route.

I live in the Fourways/Broadacres are. Can you perhaps send me details of the routes - would like to try them out.

What would the best place be to train for this cycle leg in jhb? Currently doing the Cradle loop on the weekends, from my house comes in just short of 70km. Aim at doing a second loop which should take the total up to around 100km?

Or is there a better place to train for the 70.3 cycle leg?

The cradle is perfect. Lots of rolling hills and some buggers every now and then. Its also very peaceful and probably the best place to ride a road bike in jhb. Just get your distance up to 100k's and you bang on target.

I am doing Cape Town in Nov. UNfortunately I do not have the money at this stage although I would have love to. I mean, think how fit you would be after doing a full IM in Nov and then target the half IM!

Garf

Please tell me about "cape Town" is it an IM or triathlon event? Details?

So not a PB course then! Definately not shelling out R5000+ to go and do it then. Next year I want a sub 5 HIM and EL is clearly not that place to get that.

It is if you train hard enough. Im no super athlete but the run is pretty flat. It only has 1 hill in it, ok its a big hill but thats it.

I am doing Cape Town in Nov. UNfortunately I do not have the money at this stage although I would have love to. I mean, think how fit you would be after doing a full IM in Nov and then target the half IM!

Good luck dude. That race is gonna be TOUGH!

I did not answer the original question:

I am seriously considering the 70.3. I suppose I should make the commitment and enter and then I will be obligated to do the training to get a return on the rather steep entry fee. I am not even taking into account the related travel and accommodation costs, it will be much much more.

Just enter man. For like R250 you can get insurance for your entry fee should you get injured as well. Nothing that motivates you more than entering and already buying the plane tickets.

Anyways in my opinion if you can do a 70.3, you can do a full IM. Less pressure and lots more time. Remember, there is no cut-off time for the run on the IM. In other words if you get off the bike after 7 hours, you have 10 hours for the marathon. unlik the 70.3 were each discipline has a cut off time by itself.

Be very careful going for personal bests in 70.3. I have done it twice and kakked because of it. Last year I went for 6 hours and ended up doing 06h25. I was at least worth 06h05 but because I "went" for it I blew up and then lost major time due to cramp and dissapointment.

And the weather didnt help either.... Next time I am going to race without a watch/speedo.

i have entered for my first 70.3.....so hopefully everything goes well so that i can line up on the beach.

No time goals, just hoping to finish it for the 1st time in a comfortable manner so that i would want to do the full distance in april.

i have entered for my first 70.3.....so hopefully everything goes well so that i can line up on the beach.

No time goals, just hoping to finish it for the 1st time in a comfortable manner so that i would want to do the full distance in april.

Good man

I did the 70.3 and IM in my first year 2007. Funny thing is that all my times in the fullIM was faster than in the 70.3 (ave speeds).

The moment you push you ***

Good man

I did the 70.3 and IM in my first year 2007. Funny thing is that all my times in the fullIM was faster than in the 70.3 (ave speeds).

The moment you push you ***

yip, actually managed to convince my wife to also enter....so we are both training. however, she wont even consider the full distance. which gives me more time to focus on my own training.

really looking forward to it, as i will be doing my 1st ever triathlon next weekend. will just go out an enjoy it.

How reasonable is it aiming for a 12hr Full IM in your first attempt?