Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

Hi guys

A few weeks back when the event was cancelled a lot of hindsighting was to be done and the Challenge CEO was to be flown over etc etc etc to sort everything out.

Is there any feedback/official statements with regards to how that went? The only thing we currently have is that newspaper article

http://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/safety-issues-stopped-triathlon-1.1162231

which does not reflect very positive on CCT as a whole.

Also has all the refunds been sorted out as it seems not?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CCT reimbursed my entry fee, Fawlty Towers refunded my 50% dep on accommodation, Europcar was canceled with no costs, BUT Kulula is not interested in CCT excuses...

Paid Kulula with Diners (about R915) no specific insurance for this risk as you have to load (and pay for) phase 2 insurance to cover this kind (cancellation) of risk. This cover would have cost R341 for a R915 transaction.... not worth paying it (33% premium?) as everybody was under the impression CCT is on and sorted.

Waiting for an e-mail from Grant re the Kulula costs...

Hmm, I would be surprised if the "No Frills" airlines like Kulula and Mango would refund the ticket price.

Full service airlines may do so as the ticket is more expensive, and consequently has less "conditions" attached, in general discount airline tickets are non refundable unless the airline cancels or you can prove death or disability, it states this clearly on the terms of purchase.

Also, standard C Card insurance on the ticket purchase as Pieterman says, usually only relates to the AIRLINES cancelling the flight or death or disability on your behalf.

In the case of a third party cancelling like here, you would need extra travel insurance like Phase 2 insurance on Diners Club or similar increased risk insurance with other cards, or have purchased extra insurance from an accredited travel dealer.

In standard travel insurance from your credit card purchase, they would argue the airlines did not cancel, there was no death or disability, so the reason for a refund is not applicable, basically the airlines fulfilled their obligations and you could have flown, so on standard ticket purchase insurance, your non arrival can not be considered a claimable loss.

I have only one question for the organisers......

Will the event take place for sure next year even if only 300 people enter it?

They say that it "is an almost certainty" that they will stage a 70.3 race at the same time. This will get the numbers up. Challenge have done this before.

"is an almost certainty"

mmmmmmmmm sounds famil.iar........ like the 25 times the route was supposedly almost signed off during this year? :clap: :clap: :P :P

Hi All,

Guys if we don't race we don't have a business, so the option of postponing again is simply not on the cards... So if we have 300 numbers then so be it, but naturally we hope the athletes given that we put the confirmed routes, etc up signed off from the City of Cape Town then more will come and enjoy what we working our backsides off for, a special race in a pretty special location. As with any business, it typically takes three years before they make a profit, our now took a setback, if you don't trade in year 1, you can't trade in future years. We have taken a very long view on this going forward. Sincerely hope that answers that side of things once and for all.

Our partners, sponsors and City of Cape Town definitely see a bigger future. With regards to half,s and the like, yes it is a Challenge thing but when we get all our thoughts in place for this we will let everyone know. We had alot of requests for this and we know Challenge as a format has been very successful with this format and is key feature of Challenge races. I can say we concluded a meeting with the City of Cape Town this morning that reconfirms Challenge and City of Cape Town as partners for 2012 and beyond. We have some groundwork before we make any announcements in this regard but we working that by end of November we can make announcements. As stated, CoCT is a beast which works at its own speed and so we at maximum putting the pieces of the revised puzzle. We also busy with some exciting sponsor arrangements to look at in detail.

Will keep all posted, but for the moment we head down working to get these items in place to ensure 2012 meets expectation all round.

Grant

Hi All,

Guys if we don't race we don't have a business, so the option of postponing again is simply not on the cards... So if we have 300 numbers then so be it, but naturally we hope the athletes given that we put the confirmed routes, etc up signed off from the City of Cape Town then more will come and enjoy what we working our backsides off for, a special race in a pretty special location. As with any business, it typically takes three years before they make a profit, our now took a setback, if you don't trade in year 1, you can't trade in future years. We have taken a very long view on this going forward. Sincerely hope that answers that side of things once and for all.

Our partners, sponsors and City of Cape Town definitely see a bigger future. With regards to half,s and the like, yes it is a Challenge thing but when we get all our thoughts in place for this we will let everyone know. We had alot of requests for this and we know Challenge as a format has been very successful with this format and is key feature of Challenge races. I can say we concluded a meeting with the City of Cape Town this morning that reconfirms Challenge and City of Cape Town as partners for 2012 and beyond. We have some groundwork before we make any announcements in this regard but we working that by end of November we can make announcements. As stated, CoCT is a beast which works at its own speed and so we at maximum putting the pieces of the revised puzzle. We also busy with some exciting sponsor arrangements to look at in detail.

Will keep all posted, but for the moment we head down working to get these items in place to ensure 2012 meets expectation all round.

Grant

Stop with the good PR Grant and refund those athletes who haven't yet been refunded. Thats all the PR you will need. There was a thread here yesterday where guys were moaning that they still haven't received there cash back.

Here's the link. Show some goodwill and pay these guys back!

My link

Edited by Zula

I say for the first year only do a 70.3 and not the full IM distance...... You will get plenty more entries and depending on how it goes you can expand..... You firstly need to create a local market as it is this that will support the event in the long run. I wonder how many IM in total doing these types of events comes from EL and PE? I then also wonder how many came from CT?

It is one hell of a commitment to do the full IM in PE and then continue training for CTC in my view. Looking at long distance and what has happened up to now I would really propose you consider only do a 70.3 next year to test the waters and iron out all other issues........

How many athletes did the Midmar first time round? How many is doing it this year?

Edited by Garfield2010

Agree

Hows my refund coming along :-)

When do you expect these to be finalized?

Surely you have some sort of insurance to cover my flight (i didn't pay by card) or am i getting a free flight for next year :thumbup: :thumbup:

Instead of spending your time organizing for next year and having meetings with cape town - sort this year out :angry: :angry:

think it's been close on 3 weeks since i requested my refund - twice due to no response

tick tock tick tock

Stop with the good PR Grant and refund those athletes who haven't yet been refunded. Thats all the PR you will need. There was a thread here yesterday where guys were moaning that they still haven't received there cash back.

Here's the link. Show some goodwill and pay these guys back!

My link

I am amazed that you think anyone will sign up to this next year after this years fiasco. It is actually a bit cheeky of you to even try. Your best bet, if you really are going to pursue this, is to do like Garfield suggested and start with a small local HIM and try and grow it from there. You've got some serious work cut out for you to try and get peoples trust back. In fact I would say it's impossible. You will not get one out of town athlete signing up for next year. No one is going to commit the time, effort and money if there is even a 1% chance of the race not happening and I'm afraid in that regard your goose is cooked.

Now, like Zula said, stop with the PR and refund people their money. I assume you haven't because you don't have it anymore and so are looking for sponsors for next year so you can refund this years entrants. Borrow from Peter to pay Paul.

Oh and as far as this statement goes:

"Guys if we don't race we don't have a business, so the option of postponing again is simply not on the cards.."

Let me enlighten you... You didn't have a race and you don't have a business.

I am amazed that you think anyone will sign up to this next year after this years fiasco.

I have been reading the German and UK tri sites and they feel the same as you do.Some of those guys lost loads of money.

I just find it strange that the sponsors are staying on board after this.

Ja, the worst part is that all the international guys think that the event was cancelled due to safety reasons in terms of crime and not road closures. Go check on that slowtwich website's forum.... They really believe that Cape Town is too dangerous for cycling let alone tourism.....