Weight of MTB

amoryns

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and the SantaCruz SL 2006 model I have weighs 2.4kg according to there site. I'll do a search to try and find out what the new Scalpels wight, that said, the new 2008 Santa Cruz bike frames are also lighter now but that's not reall the point, let me see what I can dig up.

CD' date=' don't know, the weight weenie site tell me my frame is lighter or close to the same depending on shox.

Scalpel 800 2002model size S = 2520g

SC SL 2001model Size Medium = 2550g
[/quote']

My 2002 Scalpel 3000 (Large) was weighed in at 2.2kg, in front of my eyes.

Ok, found it, the Scalpel frame size Medium weigh 2.22kg - that's lighter than mine but only 178grams. I don't even have disc breaks on mine, so I really like to know were else they safe so much weight.

Sweet, thx Azonic, then the Cannondale site is talking bol and I qoute: "The redesigned Scalpel frame weighs 100 grams less than the original design, or just 4.9 pounds including the shock and all hardware" so much for the new frame being lighter.

Azonic, those weights I optained from the wight weenie site, they will not lie about frame weights I think..they don't have anythign to gain in doing so.

Something I'm curious about....us cyclists are always very aware of what our bikes weigh but we never discuss the weight of our accessories such as shoes, pedals, heart rate monitors etc etc. Why is this? Surely we could also save weight by buying lighter shoes etc.

Sweet' date=' thx Azonic, then the Cannondale site is talking bol and I qoute: "The redesigned Scalpel frame weighs 100 grams less than the original design, or just 4.9 pounds including the shock and all hardware" so much for the new frame being lighter.[/quote']

Azonic does not have the redesigned Scalpel.........Sleepy

There are only 3 in the country at the moment....

Was your frame and shox weighed or just the frame Azonic?

Frame + shock. I think the headset cups might have been removed, but not too sure. Was weighed on a kitchen scale which is very accurate. Unsure if you are aware, but my Scalpel 3000 (and that year there was a 4000) had better tubing that the lower level Scalpels, which might be the ones listed on WWeenies.

I bought my frame loose over eBay for $550 about a year ago. Here is how it looked like, stock, back in 2002. Mine then just has the electric blue SID on, with black AM classic wheels.

20071207_051201_scal3000_02.jpg

Dunno about you, but that frame is still hot, even today.

Sweet' date=' thx Azonic, then the Cannondale site is talking bol and I qoute: "The redesigned Scalpel frame weighs 100 grams less than the original design, or just 4.9 pounds including the shock and all hardware" so much for the new frame being lighter.[/quote']

Azonic does not have the redesigned Scalpel.........Sleepy

There are only 3 in the country at the moment....

It is difficult to believe that a full carbon fibre frame and rear triangle can weigh that much.

One should think it would be much lighter than that.

The Scalpel being a Soft tail and the Santa Cruz being a DS bike you can't really compare the frame weights just like you can't compare any of the two Frames with a HT.

Just which these dame sites will stop publishing BS info...

Just saw the weight of the scott spark...

2008 Scott Spark Ltd:. Weight Bike: 20.59 lbs (9.35 kg)

The frame alone is 1.55kg's

Now that is light and Scott guarantees their frames (includes racing) for 5 years.

9.35 for a ds. wow.

It would probably go up to 9.7 or so with stans and some decent ust tires.

Still light.

Not to put to fine a point on it Marius but the FOX F100RLT that I put on my Epic last night definitely weighs more than they say on the web!!!! So ja you right, bit optimistic these okes!

My Anthem Adv is 10.5 kgs and doesn't have any serious weight weenie stuff. Big saving is the wheels Stans Olympic ZTR with AC hubs. Foldable Kenda Small Block 8 on the back and Larsen mimo on the front.

Could save quite a bit by losing the XTR pedals and getting Eggbeaters. Saddle is also a bit heavy (SLR XC).