New Tri-athlete... first bike

Leon Pretorius

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wholeheartedly agree with Zula, Eldron & 8848 on the Felt AR.

The only times you will use a Tri bike effectively is on IM and on non-drafting races such as Provincials. As has been mentioned, the 70.3 in East London has rolling hills for the 1st 45k's which effectively nullifies any advantage a Tri bike has.

I'm not too sure that the cost of a Tri bike justifies the time saved on a non drafting Olympic distance event.

So my options are these:

-Buy a road bike (I allready have tri-bars which I bought for the bike I am borrowing) AND a MTB (I am currently borrowing an awesome MTB which the guy offered to sell to me for a great price..for around R6k)

Leon

Go for both. Get a decent road bike and the mountain bike. There are more and more off road Tri's and Duathlons on the calendar so at least this way you will have a good choice of options.

Hi guys, thanks for the reply's.

I really like the AR4 idea (I will look into the AR5 though unless I get a great price on a AR4). Its a beautifull bike aswell! and I am doing the East London 70.3 in January.

I will look around and if I cannot find something in my range, I recon I will try to go the tri/mtb route. I am not in a hurry since the bikes I am borrowing now is sufficient and the people I am borrowing from aren't in a hurry to get the bikes back.

Thanks for the great help and ideas!

Has anyone ever imported a bike?

AR5 for $1,600 (And other bikes)

A closeout sale...Might be abit dodgey?

I guess if they are shown in google maps it should be legit! For that price I can buy the AR5 (2010 model) & a MTB...Shouldnt forget about import duties etc, but it will still be alot cheaper than buying one here.

Get a Tri bike and do real triathlons. Sprint distance and draft legal events are for girls.

And if you get a road bike, you will always look at the tri bikes coming past you with longing eyes wondering what it would be like to ride such an awesome bike.

+1

I would say change a road bike to a Tri bike with a forward seat post.

Changing a TT bike to road bike makes a harsh ride.The geometry is steep on a tri bike 75-78 degrees compared to 73-74 deg on a road bike.

How many races can you use a Tri bike for compared to a road bike?

The Scott Foil would be on my list for a aero frame :drool:

Edited by gummibear

How many races can you use a Tri bike for compared to a road bike?

I am not sure.

The reason why I am asking this is that in the case I get fed up with the Tri-positioning, how difficult would it be to switch over to a road bike with the components I have.

Someone mentioned in a previous post that they bought a Tri frame and transformed it into a road bike.

Tri and borrow a TT bike and just feel how it rides.You use different muscles to a normal road frame.I know a few people who can't ride a TT bike as it hurts their backs.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess if they are shown in google maps it should be legit! For that price I can buy the AR5 (2010 model) & a MTB...Shouldnt forget about import duties etc, but it will still be alot cheaper than buying one here.

have a look at http://www.felt.co.za/feltclearance.html - not sure if they will have your size in the AR, but you may be able to pick up a really good deal...

Hey guys,

Picking up my brand new AR4 tommorow. Really excited!

Thanks for all the advice and replies! You guys were great help.

Big thanks for BMT cycles aswell for the great service and price they are giving me.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/images/product_images/big/FELT_AR4_2011.jpg

Will keep you guys updated!

Regards,

Leon