New Tri-athlete... first bike

Leon Pretorius

Hi Guys,

I've recently completed my first Olympic distance triathlon, and the bug bit so I am going to start doing these as a full time hobby. My main aim is to compete in half IM's (and laaaater sime full IM's) and will do more olympic and sprint distance tri's inbetween. I am not really interested in doing cycling only races, but might do the odd one (if I do not buy a tri-bike), like te Argus, 94.7 etc.

I am currently borrowing a road bike. Before the triathlon, I probably havent cycled ANY bike in 10 years. Basically all of my training has been done in the gym.

My budget for a bike is around R15k-R18k.

My first thoughts were that I will choose between a second hand Tri-bike, a new giant trinity, one of the Felt B16's (2012) which I can get for about R16k, or a Trek Speed Concept 2012 for around R19k...and I was kinda sold into buying a tri-bike. But over the weekend I spoke to a friend of mine who were quite big in cycling...and he said I should definately buy a road bike. He claimed tri-bikes are way over priced. If I go this route, I can buy a road bike for around R10k and then buy a second hand MTB with it, which I enjoy alot aswell and I find it easier to go out on the MTB for some training & fun.

So my options are these:

-Buy a road bike (I allready have tri-bars which I bought for the bike I am borrowing) AND a MTB (I am currently borrowing an awesome MTB which the guy offered to sell to me for a great price..for around R6k)

-Buy one of the abovementioned TRI-bike only.

If I go with the road bike, which bikes would you guys recommend I get?

Thanks and regards,

Leon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what i did when i started out - bought a tri frame (planet-x) so you have the tri geometry and set it up as a road bike.You then get bets of both worlds

Also remember the shorter races won't allow full tri bike setups

Are you allowed to use a full on tri-bike in the smaller events? In the drafting events everybody uses normal road bikes.

hobby. fun.

-Buy a road bike (I allready have tri-bars which I bought for the bike I am borrowing) AND a MTB .

Asked and answered.

Are you allowed to use a full on tri-bike in the smaller events? In the drafting events everybody uses normal road bikes.

nope - extensions cannot extend past handle bars in drafting events

Hi,

I am passionate about my cycling and you may become so to. In which case there is mountain biking and tri to branch into. Both expensive on their own.

I suggest you buy a good second hand road bike 10-15k, ride and train and get used to it. And in time to come when you are more certain of the route you want to go, road / mountain / tri, then invest in that chosen route. Either way the road bike you buy now will help you get there and supplement your training when you are there .

Enjoy

Get a Tri bike and do real triathlons. Sprint distance and draft legal events are for girls.

And if you get a road bike, you will always look at the tri bikes coming past you with longing eyes wondering what it would be like to ride such an awesome bike.

Buy a road bike with clip on tri bars. Many events,energade being one, do not allow standard tri bars, have to use the short bars. A tri bike restricts your options.Your first option is the wise one.

I have a felt AR4, which is a "hybrid bike", its geometry is as close to a Tri Bike as you can get and still be road legal. I have loved it. I have used it for Ironman, 70.3, etc with clip on Tri Bars and used it as is for sprint Tri, olympic tri and road events, in my mind it is the perfect bike (my opinion). it is R33k normall, but felt have them on special for R24, maybe look for a second hand one?

i am PRO tri bike..... but that said.. if you are aiming at podiums... get a tri bike.

other wise stay with the roadie and mtb idea... then you can do exterra

I have a felt AR4, which is a "hybrid bike", its geometry is as close to a Tri Bike as you can get and still be road legal. I have loved it. I have used it for Ironman, 70.3, etc with clip on Tri Bars and used it as is for sprint Tri, olympic tri and road events, in my mind it is the perfect bike (my opinion). it is R33k normall, but felt have them on special for R24, maybe look for a second hand one?

Ditto

I went the clip-on route for Ironman and have decided to get a TT bike at some point. However, there are far fewer tri races than cycle races, so if you are happy to cough up cash knowing you will only compete a handful of times, then get a TT.

When i started doing the Tri thing i built up a road bike (bought a PLanet-x frame)and did one 70.3 and one full Ironman. I was then fortunate enough to keep my road bike(best of both worlds) and then bought a Cervello P2 and put some decent wheels on there and then did this years half and full Ironmans and in my opinion i enjoyed them more on my Tri Bike.

If you buying a bike to do Tri then get a Tri bike. If you look around on the hub you cn pick up decent Tri bike in the 12k region and then that will leave you with 6k for your Mountain bike :)

Edited by fabes

These bikes are amazing (I don't have one, but it was my first choice). I assume that you allready have most of your gear (shoes, helmet etc), so the budget will be for a bike only. Wetsuit will set you back R3k?

My suggestion will be to buy the road bike. If you can afford the MTB you can always do Xterra also. Put on the clip-ons and you're good to go. AS mentioned above you can't use the tri-bike for any other races (triathlon or otherwise), and even though it looks amzingly cool, I can't see how to justify the expense for 2 or 3 races a year. Also you will not (should not) be allowed to join any group rides for the same reason as the draft legal races do not allow them.

One more thing. A lot of IM athletes prefer road bikes at IM70.3 due to the rolling hills.

One LAST thing: Rather get better wheels for your road bike as I think it will make a bigger difference than going tri-bike

Edited by gadget

I'm with the Felt AR series crowd - you may have to stretch the budget a bit for a mtb too though...

If you get a decent skin/tri suit, aero helmet, TT bars, decent wheels and the Felt AR bike you will get 90% of the benefits of going full TT bike.

If you get the right seat post for the AR you can even get the right TT position - the Felt seat post has double holes - one set forward for TT and a normal set for Road riding.

The mtb will also allow xterra and offroad duathlons which are way more fun than tar based tris.

These bikes are amazing (I don't have one, but it was my first choice). I assume that you allready have most of your gear (shoes, helmet etc), so the budget will be for a bike only. Wetsuit will set you back R3k?

My suggestion will be to buy the road bike. If you can afford the MTB you can always do Xterra also. Put on the clip-ons and you're good to go. AS mentioned above you can't use the tri-bike for any other races (triathlon or otherwise), and even though it looks amzingly cool, I can't see how to justify the expense for 2 or 3 races a year. Also you will not (should not) be allowed to join any group rides for the same reason as the draft legal races do not allow them.

One more thing. A lot of IM athletes prefer road bikes at IM70.3 due to the rolling hills.

One LAST thing: Rather get better wheels for your road bike as I think it will make a bigger difference than going tri-bike

In the Eastern Cape we have over 10 races to enter over the tri season.

http://www.epta.co.za/Uploads/2011 - 2012 Event Calendar Sep to April.pdf

Not too sure about Pretoria though but i am sure there are more than 3 races to enter.

Edited by fabes