ITBS Problems

Saudiq

HI All,

I've was diagnosed with having ITBS by a physio about 2 weeks ago. I went for treatment, she also asked me to do stretches as well as lunges for 2 weeks, which i did 90% of the time. I then went for a ride on Sunday and at 70 km i was unable to continue due to the ITB pain.

I also had a Ergofit bike setup done a while back and I had this checked again to verify that something wasn't wrong with the setup. We then found that I had 1 too many wedges in and the extra 1 was removed.

I need some advice on getting over this very frustrating condition? I'm also supposed to be doing my 1st DC but with this problem i doubt i'll be ready for it...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI All,

I've was diagnosed with having ITBS by a physio about 2 weeks ago. I went for treatment, she also asked me to do stretches as well as lunges for 2 weeks, which i did 90% of the time. I then went for a ride on Sunday and at 70 km i was unable to continue due to the ITB pain.

I also had a Ergofit bike setup done a while back and I had this checked again to verify that something wasn't wrong with the setup. We then found that I had 1 too many wedges in and the extra 1 was removed.

I need some advice on getting over this very frustrating condition? I'm also supposed to be doing my 1st DC but with this problem i doubt i'll be ready for it...

Eish brother, I feel your pain , literally. I've had it bilaterally from running, that pain when it bites is something else. Going from full speed to lying down like you've been shot in the knee in 1 metre. Don't know your training and racing schedule but I do know it takes a loooong time, with lots of rest and then slow build up. Doesn't affect my bike riding though. Good luck

Saudiq, Saudiq, Saudiq

The Advice is....rest, rest, rest and more rest....... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ITB ... my old friend!

There's a thread somewhere on the hub where everyone was discussing different options. In my opinion if you can't shake it within a month or 6 weeks using "natural" remedies or physio like I did, you're best off considering the surgery.

I was back on the bike within 2 weeks with no comebacks and a very quick surgery. Make sure you get a good doc though, if you're in JHB I can suggest one :)

Surgery???? Saudiq, that should be a last resort, really. I've had the problem too, and with my wife being a physio, the traditional stretching and using that foam roller thingy worked for me. Rest is, however, very important.

With regards to your first DC, ease back into training slowing, don't push yourself too hard. I did my first DC with 7 weeks of training, so you should be fine :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HI All,

Try Benita De Witt check her website:

http://www.lynosport.co.za/how-do-i-fix-my-painful-itb/

DO NOT STRETCH YOUR ITB!!

Edited by SwissVan

Hey man, back luck. Did your stretch routine include hamstring stretches?

If not the ITB most probably stems from hangstrings that are too short. The attachment point for the hammy are on sides of the knee below on your lower leg bone (can't recall name this late at night). Normally when hammies are too short they cause extra friction exactly where you feel the ITB pain. Many, many people misdiagnose it to be the ITB can being too short, but in fact it is the hamstrng muscle.

You will need to concentrate on strethcing you hammies with bent knees until you feel the muscle stretch in the centre of the muscle. If you get a burning feeling behind your knees that is more a nerve stretch and you need to bend knees more until you feel the muscle stretch. A muscle stretch will never burn, that is a nerve stretch and is targeting the wrong area as the nerve becomes the limiting factor of the stretch. Try this with rest for a few weeks and see if it helps. Without proper rest and stretching you have little chance of recovery.

Good luck!

just want to make sure i understand correctly -- was there a time when you were riding painfree, or are you 'new' to longer distances on the bike?

Sorry to hear about the injury... That really sucks..

I got ITB earlier this year from running too far too quickly and took about 2 months to get rid of it. Think I was just lucky.. Did a lot of stretching, still do, ran on softer surfaces (grass) and swam.

Hope this helps and good luck.

P.S. I heard those foam rollers also work quite well..

just want to make sure i understand correctly -- was there a time when you were riding painfree, or are you 'new' to longer distances on the bike?

No, I've been cycling for 7 years and I was cycling about 6 days a week from October last year up until the Argus with Zero issues and absolutely pain free. I however focussed allot on my strength training in gym during winter and only did mountain biking on a Sunday for 3 hours

Sorry to hear about the injury... That really sucks..

I got ITB earlier this year from running too far too quickly and took about 2 months to get rid of it. Think I was just lucky.. Did a lot of stretching, still do, ran on softer surfaces (grass) and swam.

Hope this helps and good luck.

P.S. I heard those foam rollers also work quite well..

Thanks, I've heard about the foam rollers as well. I'm going to see if I can get some today as I'm willing to try just about anything to get rid of this condition

Hey man, back luck. Did your stretch routine include hamstring stretches?

If not the ITB most probably stems from hangstrings that are too short. The attachment point for the hammy are on sides of the knee below on your lower leg bone (can't recall name this late at night). Normally when hammies are too short they cause extra friction exactly where you feel the ITB pain. Many, many people misdiagnose it to be the ITB can being too short, but in fact it is the hamstrng muscle.

You will need to concentrate on strethcing you hammies with bent knees until you feel the muscle stretch in the centre of the muscle. If you get a burning feeling behind your knees that is more a nerve stretch and you need to bend knees more until you feel the muscle stretch. A muscle stretch will never burn, that is a nerve stretch and is targeting the wrong area as the nerve becomes the limiting factor of the stretch. Try this with rest for a few weeks and see if it helps. Without proper rest and stretching you have little chance of recovery.

Good luck!

I have to admit that I'm extremely bad with my stretching regime, most times I shortcut my training by giving up my stretching and I realise that is probably the reason why I have ITB issues. That said I doubt my hammies are to short as I'm able to reach about 8cm over my toes.

I will however try proper rest for the next 2 weeks

Try Benita de Wet check her website:

http://www.lynosport.co.za/how-do-i-fix-my-painful-itb/

DO NOT STRETCH YOUR ITB!!

Just one small correction - her surname is De Witt...

But anyway, my wife did some of her courses. benita knows her stuff. The idea here is to find out what muscles need strengthening etc.

She has these Bunkie tests that you have to do - oh my goodness. That diagnoses problem areas very easily and helps you getting the right treatment. After my wife did the courses I was her guinea pig. It helped a lot. My ITB, hammie, performis and quad strength was determined and I was told what areas to stretch and what NOT to touch.

As far as not stretching ITB etc. The ITB might just be painful because you have another muscle problem somewhere. By stretching it you might just make it weaker.