29er vs. 26 MTB sizing

Jaco-fiets

I got back onto my Shova after being on the 29'er for a couple of days and the feeling in response is dramatically different.

The Kona I was starting to get my wheelies right, when I did the same on the Shova I was nearly launched off the back of the bike. The Shova felt like I had climbed onto a BMX!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am 1.79M with inside leg of 87mm.. will a 17"KTM be too small for me??

Hello EWI, with an inner leg measurement like this you would be a 57,8 road bike. I would look at putting you onto a large bike of 19" (in some brands) but mostly a 20"on the majority of brands. If the bike is too small for you, you are may experiance lower back ache,as it is the cockpit of the bike that will make you sit too scrunched up.The importance of correct size can never be over emphasized and many will debate the fact that a smaller bike is better for mountain biking.. my personal experiance was that a "small" agrivated a bad back and when I went to the " medium" I had no further trouble. My inner leg is an 81cm.... road bike size 53,8 so I ride a 54 road bike.Hope this is of help to you.

There are many of these calculators on the net but that has got to be one of the worst I've seen in a while.

They determine bike size with only length and inseam :lol:

Then they only recommend seat tube length which also means jack, top tube length is the most important factor when buying a bike.

I put in some random numbers like 1.88m with 90cm inseam and they recommend 175mm crank, WTF?

There are a lot more measurements to keep in mind ... a great DIY fit calculator I prefer is this one on Competitive Cyclist for road, mtb or triathlon. Measure torso, reach and all kinds of useful goodies :thumbup:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Tank i totally agree, though most bike manufacturers dont give you a toptube length option, so its a case of getting the best fit per specific brand based on your inseam measurement.

But your quite right, top tube length probably more important as that will determine comfort, riding position and bike balance.

Tank i totally agree, though most bike manufacturers dont give you a toptube length option, so its a case of getting the best fit per specific brand based on your inseam measurement.

But your quite right, top tube length probably more important as that will determine comfort, riding position and bike balance.

Thanks,The 21 x-large feels a bit big but the Large feel small and on the large my saddle is on the limit

Thanks,The 21 x-large feels a bit big but the Large feel small and on the large my saddle is on the limit

Depends what brand, example the Commencal Supernormal XL frame geometry is smaller than most other XL bikes.

I'm 1.95 and ride Silverback XL 29 and 26 MTB.

Edited by scotty

Yup, brand?

29er or 26er?

I ride XL/21" 26er but L 29er feels better