mid day energy dip!

Super J

My energy dip used to be nutrition related,

now I have cereal with banana at 7.30ish

1 fruit at 8.30ish

tub of yoghurt with 3-4 strawberries at 10ish

protein shake at 11

that carries me through to lunch, 1/2 plate of food (previous evening's left overs)

15h00 another shake.

Probably get through 1.5 bottles of water during the day at work

2 coffees by 10 in the morning.

No more energy dips, no more snack cravings

I found the protein shake to be the biggest singler improvement in my diet.

Won't be the same for all.

Great plan.

What protein shake do you use, man?

Anybody out there suffer or know howe to prevent or deal with this? On a training day, once I have got to work toward the mid day and afternoon I get a terrible energy dip,so bad that I can barely keep my eyes open, I am tiered,sleepy and very lathalgic, this is especially worse on hot days,the cooler,the less intense. I suspect a insulin/blood sugar dip or something along those lines, my bike ride home is at a snails pace but once I am home and it cools down I am back to normal..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Super J

Nutrition nutrition nutrition, you are not fuelling sufficiently. I do 2 sessions a day morning and evening, I eat anywhere from 9-11 meals a day, to keep me constantly fuelled, focussed and energized. The basic rule of thumb for training to keep your energy levels balanced is

Fuel

-Before

-During

-After

Before meaning provide yourself the right intake for an event, during is hydration and if a long session additional carbs,after means recovery.

Any stimulants that you take before, during or after, ie coffee and sugar as one , will surely see the end of u and cause a hypoglycemic reaction leaving u feeling fatigued and hungry. another thing u never mentioned which is key, is your sleeping patterns, how much sleep do u get per a night and how many nights per a week, it plays a key role.

This is my profession and what I do so u r welcome to contact me for advice.

all the best

M

Yeah, MDW, good point on sleep volume.

Very key to maintaining consistent energy and focus. :thumbup:

Super J

Nutrition nutrition nutrition, you are not fuelling sufficiently. snip

Sufficiently or effectively?

Eating small portions regularly will help keeping your insulin or blood sugar levels up. Try and keep coffee intake to about 2 a day. Anything that causes a spike will follow with a low. You can also try chromium. Take 200mgs (think that is the unit)in morning with breakfast and again in evening. Chromium helps stabalise your levels.

Since i started supplementing with chromium my chocolate cravings is under controle :thumbup:

Sufficiently or effectively?

You are correct for 99% of people its both, sufficient needs to be effective as well, proper balanced meals knowing what to take in an when, is the key to energy health.

You are correct for 99% of people its both, sufficient needs to be effective as well, proper balanced meals knowing what to take in an when, is the key to energy health.

Are we the 99 percent?......

Are we the 99 percent?......

Most likely :-), if your body fat is under 8 and your sleep patterns are excellent and your energy levels are great, and you dont get ill often, you could fit into the 1% :lol: but in all honesty people make mistakes constantly because they are fooled by the clever consumer marketing in the industry, not just around supplements, but foods especially. Diabetes is on a global climb especially in the youth and its very sad a this is not genetic they eat themselves there, not to mention cholestrol and heart disease, the other night I was at the sports trust quiz evening they had the Bryanston High cheerleaders present there, a group of around 20 kids, who train hard and have taken the champs last 4 years in a row, I was shocked to see how overweight all of them were, I get down seeing this, remember all you are what you put into your system, once its passed your lips, thats it friends no control the body will do the rest, prevention is far better than cure. There are no quick fixes, and Jaco, just be aware, 200mg of chromium each day is not a great idea, because it comes naturally in food, you could be going over your %RDA and later on this can lead to organ issues, you really got to know what you take in, its the same with any supplement, if u getting it in food, then u r most likely overdosing and putting some of your organs under stress, it will show up later on in life not where you want to go. I am trying to just give u some solid advice, I see people everyday with different issues, and they have no idea what they currently consume in the form of ingredients never mind the calories, and they just eat themselves whether food or supplements into a disaster zone. See a nutritionist please for proper advice, and make sure you get a full blood test before even deciding to see whether u r deficient in a mineral.

later M