building vs buying 29er

JGdp

My suggestion on a BUILD will be:

Do everything at ONE shop.

They should then see the benefit of the "bulk" of the profit, and could wheel and deal a bit better on a total build.

Rather than bits and pieces from different places, all at full retail.

Just my gut feel :P

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So would you guys say the crest depends on the rider weight mostly?? if so, i weigh 75kg, and ride pretty hard i think..any other brands of wheels?? and then the next thing is frame and fork- there are 2 places selling carbon 29er frames for under R6000, 2 year warranty etc, 1250g for medium frame... anyone know of people who has bought one of these frames??

Fox vs Rock shox...feedback on them??thanks

My suggestion on a BUILD will be:

Do everything at ONE shop.

They should then see the benefit of the "bulk" of the profit, and could wheel and deal a bit better on a total build.

Rather than bits and pieces from different places, all at full retail.

Just my gut feel :P

At the moment i will use my LBS to build the shop, but buying the parts still depends on the deals i can get everywhere, hopefully the fellow hubbers could help out-haha :clap:

So would you guys say the crest depends on the rider weight mostly?? if so, i weigh 75kg, and ride pretty hard i think..any other brands of wheels?? and then the next thing is frame and fork- there are 2 places selling carbon 29er frames for under R6000, 2 year warranty etc, 1250g for medium frame... anyone know of people who has bought one of these frames??

The 2 places i was referring to are on the hub- summitbikes and cyclebuzz

JEE George!!!!

At 75kg the Crests's will be 100% suited to you

(recommended weight limit as per website... cannot find it now, but remember it to be around 85ks).

Riding hard should not affect the Crest's, but your tyre pressures must be well suited to the terrain...

RE Fox vs RockShox...

I find the Fox's to be on the expensive side vs the same spec RockShox fork.

I own 2x RockShox (Reba140mm RLT dual air tapered with maxle and Reba XX 120mm (set to 100mm) tapered with maxle), and all is good in the land of shock-world...

Just look after them, service at recommended intervals and clean + lune stanchions after every ride.

They will not let you down...

Happy shopping

Oh yes, a shop I could recommend, is Mike's Bikes Greenside JHB, 011 888 8868.

For parts and the wheel-build :thumbup:

I have dealt with Summit bikes, Dominic is a decent seller and would be more than happy to help you out.

Regarding forks, I know the 2012 Reba fork is something like 50grams heavier than the 29" SID version.

The way I understand this is , RS used the same chassis for the REBA and the SID, with only the internals differing in weight and performance.

I personally think Fox forks are overpriced, but still would suggest getting what feels the best for you.

Also check out Planet X bikes : http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/pRAPIDÉ%20PROMOTION%209%20CARBON%2029ER/Rapidé-ProMotion-9-Carbon-29er.aspx

You would be able to get a decent deal with a fork, headset , seat clamp and spare hanger.

The ZTR Crest wheelset will be perfect for your needs, just don't go and gain 10kg's and do all mountain riding on themunsure.gif.

Max weight limit on Crests are 85kg's.

The main reason why I didn't go for a complete bike is because there was always something that the manufacturers compromised on that I didn't like, or weren't happy to ride on. Like the wheelset or shifters ect.

Now I have my bike and probably the only thing I would like to change is the Aluminium H/bar and Seatpost to Carbon to help take off the edge.

JEE George!!!!

At 75kg the Crests's will be 100% suited to you

(recommended weight limit as per website... cannot find it now, but remember it to be around 85ks).

Riding hard should not affect the Crest's, but your tyre pressures must be well suited to the terrain...

RE Fox vs RockShox...

I find the Fox's to be on the expensive side vs the same spec RockShox fork.

I own 2x RockShox (Reba140mm RLT dual air tapered with maxle and Reba XX 120mm (set to 100mm) tapered with maxle), and all is good in the land of shock-world...

Just look after them, service at recommended intervals and clean + lune stanchions after every ride.

They will not let you down...

Happy shopping

Oh yes, a shop I could recommend, is Mike's Bikes Greenside JHB, 011 888 8868.

For parts and the wheel-build :thumbup:

Yes, the limit is 190lbs..thanks for the input man!! my only concern still is the carbon frames that they are selling on theHUb, dont know of anyone who can give a review on them...

Yes, the limit is 190lbs..thanks for the input man!! my only concern still is the carbon frames that they are selling on theHUb, dont know of anyone who can give a review on them...

Sorry bud, cannot help you there.

For carbon (expensive), I would suggest to buy from a reputable dealer and the frame MUST have some sort of warranty.

PLEASE place a pic on the hub once your bike is done...

Or PM me with a pic.

Enjoy the build, this is 50% of the fun right there...:w00t:

I have dealt with Summit bikes, Dominic is a decent seller and would be more than happy to help you out.

Regarding forks, I know the 2012 Reba fork is something like 50grams heavier than the 29" SID version.

The way I understand this is , RS used the same chassis for the REBA and the SID, with only the internals differing in weight and performance.

I personally think Fox forks are overpriced, but still would suggest getting what feels the best for you.

Also check out Planet X bikes : http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/pRAPIDÉ%20PROMOTION%209%20CARBON%2029ER/Rapidé-ProMotion-9-Carbon-29er.aspx

You would be able to get a decent deal with a fork, headset , seat clamp and spare hanger.

The ZTR Crest wheelset will be perfect for your needs, just don't go and gain 10kg's and do all mountain riding on themunsure.gif.

Max weight limit on Crests are 85kg's.

The main reason why I didn't go for a complete bike is because there was always something that the manufacturers compromised on that I didn't like, or weren't happy to ride on. Like the wheelset or shifters ect.

Now I have my bike and probably the only thing I would like to change is the Aluminium H/bar and Seatpost to Carbon to help take off the edge.

Thats the ONLY thing keeping me from buying a new bike. There are one or 2 things i dont like, like you said...

the weight limit is good motivation to stay fit through university and so on-haha!!

There are so many RS to choose from, one of them has to be the right one, just need to do enough research...

Sorry bud, cannot help you there.

For carbon (expensive), I would suggest to buy from a reputable dealer and the frame MUST have some sort of warranty.

PLEASE place a pic on the hub once your bike is done...

Or PM me with a pic.

Enjoy the build, this is 50% of the fun right there...:w00t:

Will do...its my "2012 Epic bike" so there will be plenty of pics-haha!! thanks for the input appreciate it..

Will do...its my "2012 Epic bike" so there will be plenty of pics-haha!! thanks for the input appreciate it..

No probs, always happy to help.

Good luck with the 2012 Epic training...

Just to make sure, you are building a HT for the Epic... :o:o:lol::lol:

It's easy.

I think the Reba fork is the best value for performance out there.

I you can afford the 2012 Reba RLT / RL go for that one, otherwise the a Recon Gold.

Main difference is Dual Air vs. Solo Air, and also the weight.

No probs, always happy to help.

Good luck with the 2012 Epic training...

Just to make sure, you are building a HT for the Epic... :o:o:lol::lol:

haha :blush: hoped no-one picked up on that!! yes-its a HT for the epic....will get a good saddle

And i read somewhere the SID has a weight limit as well, so im looking at the reba RL/RLT yes...now to find the dealer!!haha, thanks man

And i read somewhere the SID has a weight limit as well, so im looking at the reba RL/RLT yes...now to find the dealer!!haha, thanks man

JGdp,

Have a look at Rushsports.co.za

There you will pay roughly the same as a dealer, but with excellent service and backup.

Stock as well...

RE your saddle, maybe you should pack in a spare ass (behind side) :P

Happy hooping

JGdp,

Have a look at Rushsports.co.za

There you will pay roughly the same as a dealer, but with excellent service and backup.

Stock as well...

RE your saddle, maybe you should pack in a spare ass (behind side) :P

Happy hooping

Doesn't "sealy posturepedic" make chamois for my shorts perhaps?? :D