Handlebar width on a 29er

mach7-7

Resurrecting an old thread.  Just upgraded to a 29er as well and first impressions are that I'm driving a bus.  My 26er has 620mm and the 29er has 720mm.

My worry is going through the forest and the bars will catch.  How do you find the wider bars work in the forest?

Edited by wazi

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely fine. Your handling improvements will br far and away higher than the possibility of clipping trees. Unless you're riding in bamboo plantations or have the spatial awareness of a drunk toddler

Thanks, will have a look. Was hoping for something carbon though. Had a wide ALU bar before and it felt very flexy. Could just be me, though.

Thanks, will have a look. Was hoping for something carbon though. Had a wide ALU bar before and it felt very flexy. Could just be me, though.

Trust me... This one's not flexy. If I don't flex it, at my weight.... and it's only 200 ZAR.

I see it's a 720 bar

The 780. It's a very very small rise

Edit. Just had another look. Seems like a 10/12mm rise and a bit of an up sweep / back sweep

Edited by El Capitan

Got some 780mm from kiwi for R199. Awesome.

go check out Rapide site. Super value

post-7189-0-46418700-1427128790_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!

Resurrecting an old thread.  Just upgraded to a 29er as well and first impressions are that I'm driving a bus.  My 26er has 620mm and the 29er has 720mm.

My worry is going through the forest and the bars will catch.  How do you find the wider bars work in the forest?

First and only clip I've had in recent years was with a 800mm bar bombing* down Jonkers. Never had any issues there or any place else before. Usually run 760mm bars.

It would appear that wide flat bars are really hard to come by? All the wide bars are risers?

RaceFace does a nice 760mm flat bar.

First and only clip I've had in recent years was with a 800mm bar bombing* down Jonkers. Never had any issues there or any place else before. Usually run 760mm bars.  RaceFace does a nice 760mm flat bar.

where do I find it locally though?

I used to ride 730's and felt too narrow. Went for 800's now. They're much better than the 730's but maybe a tad too wide if you spend lots of time in forest trails. I won't go smaller than 750 again. Ever

where do I find it locally though?

Shop at Meerendal that opened last week. It's run by the agents. Otherwise Cycle Factory - speak to Jacques