Using non-ust tyres for tubeless

Smolly

Thanks for the info! What pressure would you consider reasonable? I don't normally run very low pressures, but would like to know what would be considered safe!

Well I ride 2.35 tires all round for trail and some all mountain riding at 30PSI at the rear and around 25PSI or so on the front. I weight around 74kgs and I suppose I ride kind of light.

Only tire I have burped was actually a Specialized 2Bliss Eskar on the front. But I have noticed since that it is quite a soft tire, so good grip but a fair amount of flex. I think the pressure was a little low at the time, didn't stop me doing some farming and buy a patch of forest...hehehe.

Anyway, I recon your Protection Conti's should be cool as long as the pressure is right. I suppose I am OCD about pressure and ride feel, so I generally check before most rides.

Well I ride 2.35 tires all round for trail and some all mountain riding at 30PSI at the rear and around 25PSI or so on the front. I weight around 74kgs and I suppose I ride kind of light.

Only tire I have burped was actually a Specialized 2Bliss Eskar on the front. But I have noticed since that it is quite a soft tire, so good grip but a fair amount of flex. I think the pressure was a little low at the time, didn't stop me doing some farming and buy a patch of forest...hehehe.

Anyway, I recon your Protection Conti's should be cool as long as the pressure is right. I suppose I am OCD about pressure and ride feel, so I generally check before most rides.

Thanks again, I weigh in at 83kg, and normally run at higher pressures as most the area surrounding me is sandy, and I dont need more drag than I already have.

Will keep the pressure a bit higher and lose a few kilos :blush:

I have a conti x king protection, and using it tubeless. I wont go back to the ust versions. I find these tyres sidewalls quite stiff and strong compared to my old race king ust. I ride the back tyre at about 1.9 bar (I weigh 84kgs). At hill 2 hill I got a puncture, plugged it but didnt bomb it. Road on it for about 30km like that, including district road and 1 or 2 fast downhills at 60kmph. It was my first ride on it and felt more stable than my previous ust version. Got to the waterpoint and decided to pump it up a bit. I was surprised to see i was riding it at 1.2bar, and it didnt feel flexy at all and was very stable.

Been using Crossmark non-UST for ages now on tubeless rims and as long as the pressures higher (I run between 2.5 and 3 bar depending on conditions) then I don't see the tyre burbing. Just keep the side wall intergrity as firm as possible and it should be fine. I've never had a side wall rip or puncture either and the weight saving is a real bonus.

The Protection tyres are hundreds. Mine is almost 2 years old. Used on both Mavic and Fulcrum rims and with a myriad of sealants and no issues yet.

I won't worry about them if I were you. Just reglarly check sealant and keep the pressure. I ride 2bar sometimes 2.2bar when its rocky.

Have run non-UST tyres on non-UST rims for past 5 years. I am not particularly careful on the tyres, hit rocks & ride over them so sidewalls always at risk.

- Geax Saguaro 2.2 running at 1.1bar, no issues at all and tyres approaching end of life. Team RE had same experience, just a bit heavy when you portgage ;-).

- Crossmarks seem popular but I had many punctures, incl sidewall. One of few non-UST tyres with a sidewall thick enough to risk running without a tube.

- Kenda Karma also no issues despite Kenda warnings re Stans.

- Specialized ...Fast Track somethings??? ... useless ... sidewall delamination during first 1000km.

Going at speed ... non-UST combos around SA every Saturday - perhaps an exception?

Bottom line ... there are bullet proof non-UST setups around - ask around & you will find something that works for you.

I have a conti x king protection, and using it tubeless. I wont go back to the ust versions. I find these tyres sidewalls quite stiff and strong compared to my old race king ust. I ride the back tyre at about 1.9 bar (I weigh 84kgs). At hill 2 hill I got a puncture, plugged it but didnt bomb it. Road on it for about 30km like that, including district road and 1 or 2 fast downhills at 60kmph. It was my first ride on it and felt more stable than my previous ust version. Got to the waterpoint and decided to pump it up a bit. I was surprised to see i was riding it at 1.2bar, and it didnt feel flexy at all and was very stable.

i also used them on my training wheels for a few months. BUT my new ones(and 3 of my friends) have the same problem, the leek through the sidewalls? Continuously???

any advice??? love the X-kings!

i also used them on my training wheels for a few months. BUT my new ones(and 3 of my friends) have the same problem, the leek through the sidewalls? Continuously???

Yip I concur

2 of my friends running X-kings had issues with them at the 3 towers stage race. They would stay inflated for 2-3 hours and then flat. One was on a DT-Swiss rim the other a Stans Alpine. Luckily they both had tyres there to replace them with. I used to love the Conti MK & RK combo UST versions of course and they didn't give me a day's worth of k@k. Maybe they fiddled too much with the sidewall designs on the X-Kings :unsure:

LBS put the tyre on for me (old american classic rims). There was a tiny bit of sealant seaping through when I collected the wheel. It didnt loose any air at all over the next 2 nights. I did my first ride no problem, but the tyre was quiet soft and lost a lot of air over night after this ride. But since then it hasnt lost any air whatsoever, after lots of riding.

I think it comes down to how well the tyre is prepared during the initial set up. I have also scratched the side walls loads of times on rocks and they are still holding up perfectly.

Bike 1

Running xmark non ust rear and geax saguro non ust front on stans rims and havent had a days problem

Bike 2

Running non ust schwalbe little albert on stans 355 for second time and never had an issue

On side note if anybody has some 29' little alberts lying around PM me

What are your thoughts on my combo? They seem to be a good fit with zero issues so far. Done about 300km plus on them.

I brought some X-king and MNT king 2 RS versions back from the UK after my last trip, its a normal foldable tyre but with a UST bead, They worked really well, till i got a snakebite during gravel travel and a sidwall tear at K2C going 72kmh.

Needless to say i Shat myself, managed to save it and stop without breaking myself or my bike, so back to normal UST tires for me.

The sidewalls just cant cope, and yes they worked well for about 400km but invariably they will fail. Its just not worth the risk.

Tubless conversions is safe enough if tubless tyres are used. but the best combo is still UST tyres with UST rims. Not saying that wont fail, but your chances are much better of it not failing.

Been using Crossmark non-UST for ages now on tubeless rims and as long as the pressures higher (I run between 2.5 and 3 bar depending on conditions) then I don't see the tyre burbing. Just keep the side wall intergrity as firm as possible and it should be fine. I've never had a side wall rip or puncture either and the weight saving is a real bonus.

Ek ry ook Crossmarks non -Ust op non-Ust rims sonder enige probleme.

Dit is lekker lig en die crossmarks werk goed as die toestande droog is, veral vir n agter

tyre werk dit 100%.

For a light weight weight weenie like myself, Stan's rims with foldable tyres works great :thumbup:

With the supersonic/foldable conti's, this is what I've heard :

try lightly sanding the sidewalls on the inside, they sometimes have a waxy buildup there and thus sealand doesnt stick.

Then use a brush with thin sealant like stans and paint the sidewalls on the inside with the liquid before installing them.

Had MK wire beads on joe's strips with joe's sealant initially and then yellow ryder stuff. Worked well enough.

Eventually got a tear near the bead after riding over the edge of a stump which may not have happened with proper UST tyre. Since then I've only used proper UST tyres - and had problems with delamination instead... @$#@$#!!

Eventually got a tear near the bead after riding over the edge of a stump which may not have happened with proper UST tyre. Since then I've only used proper UST tyres - and had problems with delamination instead... @$#@$#!!

It has happend to me... I have had 2 tears/snake bites near the bead on my race king ust.