Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

I get home, I play with the dogs, I play with the fixie. Worked well for me yesterday.

I find that a craving lasts the same amount of time it takes me to take my pulse. Every time I see my HR it serves as a reminder of what I am working towards.

Kom nou man! You can do it! Byt net vas.

Go for a ride on Saturday and feel the reward.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2. Damn I'm taking strain, on my third box of stimirol spicy cinnamon.

Just realized how your head plays tricks with you. "Just one, one wont hurt"

You have to love how much you will try and convince yourself.

You will say things like:

"Just one won't hurt"

"Come on, just one, you've made it this far"

"Ok, you had one, have another, you can quit again tomorrow"

"Ok there are 5 left in the pack. Once I finish those..."

"Let me just get another pack. It's only 15:00 and I need to just get through today"

"You know what, I'm smoking fit. The coughing during my rides is not that bad. The burning in my chest is because i'm pushing really hard today"

"I really enjoy smoking. I don't want to quit"

That is the natural progression of starting to smoke again...

Don't fall for it.

Every time you want a smoke think of me coming down that rocky section at Rietvlei. Now think of what I had to endure and imagine yourself going through it. :D

I'm taking strain today. My whole core is tensed up and I am having crazy difficulty concentrating. SQUIRREL!!!

It feels like I want to reach into my gut and pull out the tension. My mind however is clear and focussed. SQUIRREL!!!

squirrel

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Guys and Gals

I have now been clean for 10 months after smoking for 15 years. My overall performance have picked up immenseley. Not from the start however but definately worth it. My training have improved. I have been able to push harder due to more air and this resulted in me going faster. Going faster made me want to go even more faster. Also once you reach 6 months its over. I have no desire or cravings to ever smoke again. I am actually very sensitive and if someone in the room smokes I seriously get sick.

Its almost as if I get asthma when near smoke. Tried smoking when I was drunk at month 8. Took 2 siggies. The follwowing morning it tasted like a cat shat in my mouth and I was coughing for 2 days after that. It was disgusting. Keep motivating yourselves. Go look at smokers lungs on google or something if you feel the desire.

Also when saving the money reward yourself. Doesnt a steak taste good now that you can taste again? Isnt it nice to actually smell the berries and pepper in that expensive bottle of wine Friday night?

Isnt it lekker to finally break that 3 hour 100km threshold or whatever you have been training for?

Just keep saying you are better than this and you can beat this.

Good luck guys

I'm new here and stumbled upon this thread..

I decided to quit about a month ago after having flu which just wouldn't let me go, having entered for tohellandback I was desperate to get back on the bike (i lost 3 weeks of training).

My GPsuggested Champix (horrible side-effects for the first 2 weeks) but it's getting me through, no cravings, no mood swings etc.

I also read Alan Carr's EasyWay.

I've been nicotine free for 32 days!!

Nice one Garfield! I would also have been at the 8 month mark by now... I'm not putting myself through this again its now for keeps. I'm also using champix, again, however I get no side effects except for crazy dreams but thats cool. Sir m stay strong dude!

The pictures of the lungs don't scare smokers. I know, I was there and no matter how bad I knew it was I wasn't stopping.

You need to get to the point where you want to stop and then realise that not smoking is not deprevation but rather victory. Every minute that you don't smoke you are a winner.

The pictures of the lungs don't scare smokers. I know, I was there and no matter how bad I knew it was I wasn't stopping. You need to get to the point where you want to stop and then realise that not smoking is not deprevation but rather victory. Every minute that you don't smoke you are a winner.

I'll never touch those things again, 7 months clean, and I know the struggle to quit.

No desire to go back and struggle for another 11years.

I'll never touch those things again, 7 months clean, and I know the struggle to quit.

No desire to go back and struggle for another 11years.

Way to go karma! Imagine if you had to climb that hill on day 2 with nicotine filled lungs.....you'd still be there.

Way to go karma! Imagine if you had to climb that hill on day 2 with nicotine filled lungs.....you'd still be there.

Yup - same thing I told Mr ST what I was happy with - lungs were optimal :thumbup:

Day 2. Damn I'm taking strain, on my third box of stimirol spicy cinnamon.

Just realized how your head plays tricks with you. "Just one, one wont hurt"

Just keep reminding yourself you are a non smoker now. Each day without a cigarette is another day closer to kicking the filthy habit for good.

You won't regret it

Keep it up all the guys that have stopped