New Absa Cape Epic Logo

DJR

New Cape Epic Logo  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I noticed that our famous race got a new logo and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. What do the other Hubbers think? Feel free to comment and to vote! The top one is the new logo and the bottom one the old logo. Please excuse the quality of the pictures.

There have been mixed reactions to the unveiling of the Absa Cape Epic's new logo. What do you think?

The new logo for the Absa Cape Epic was designed by the Cape Town office of The Jupiter Drawing Room and was unveiled yesterday.

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder and director of the Absa Cape Epic: “Our original logo was designed when the race concept was still embryonic. In fact, I was still in London working in a very different industry to sports marketing, and had almost no experience in building a brand and it’s corresponding logo. It was a steep learning curve, but I soon realized that the logo we had designed could be improved upon for the many diverse applications required for an international mountain bike stage race.

“After using it for eight years, I therefore felt it was the right time to design a new logo – one which reflects the essence of the brand as well as facilitates sponsor integration. I also wanted a logo that could accommodate the many applications required. Our logo is used on everything from clothing and branded vehicles, to banners and posters. It had to be simple, yet effective. The Absa Cape Epic is no longer just a mountain bike race – it has become a globally recognised sports event brand. The new logo is a better fit for what our brand stands for and manages to epitomise the spirit and identity of the race. We’ve kept the African components with the use of colour. Our pay-off will remain the same. It still is the Magical and Untamed African Mountain Bike Race,” says Vermaak.

Joanne Thomas, Creative Director of Design at The Jupiter Drawing Room, adds:

“The many different applications that arise from putting on an event as large as the Absa Cape Epic, meant that we wanted this to be more than just a logo. We wanted the logo to become an instantly recognisable symbol whose key components could be used across branding and merchandise to create a brand as desirable as the race itself.”

Inspiration for the new identity came from bikes themselves. “We spent a lot of time exploring many different routes, but in the end the simplicity of bicycle chainrings just seemed the most obvious route to go. Add to that a colour palette of rich yellow, deep browns and black, we were able to use iconography that was relevant to the race, but most importantly had a feeling of African heritage without using very clichéd ethnic cues.”

The resulting identity scheme will be used across all media from TV through to merchandise and event branding.

- Taken from.. http://www.bicycling...ic#comment-3214

post-17716-0-12914700-1319741029.jpg

post-17716-0-61378800-1319741048.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been mixed reactions to the unveiling of the Absa Cape Epic's new logo. What do you think?

I think a pic. Before and after will do very nicely.

The new one is boring, imo.

The word i'm looking for is bland.

Edited by Zac.A

.........The top one is the new logo and the bottom one the old logo.......

Scouts' honour, it says that above too.

.........The top one is the new logo and the bottom one the old logo.......

Scouts' honour, it says that above too.

Old one! :thumbup:

I really don't like the new logo. Using chainrings for a mountain bike logo does not seem that creative or unique for an event like the epic. I feel the original logo had a lot more soul and originality, something that had been hand crafted and not churned out by a large design agency. Very disappointing indeed.

The green in the old logo gave it an "earthy" feel, whilst the "zebra" style track gave it an African feel. The new logo is too cold and has nothing unique about it. I've never done (nor ever likely to do) an Epic, but I suspect there's an element of nostalgia gone as well now. thumbdown.gif

Edited by flymango

Mr. Vermaak

Please don't tell me you paid for the crap design........

Edited by meerkat

post-13110-0-04983400-1319743987.jpg

"We spent a lot of time exploring many different routes, but in the end the simplicity of bicycle chainrings just seemed the most obvious route to go" - gosh, chainrings, we were not expecting that??!! A lot of time, really?

"Add to that a colour palette of rich yellow, deep browns and black.." - er deep brown?

"...but most importantly had a feeling of African heritage without using very clichéd ethnic cues." - ok, but now Epic is stuck with clichéd bicycle chainrings.. and no African heritage, :o

post-13110-0-24737800-1319746167.jpg

Edited by Pain or Shine

*FACE PALM*

Um, set the google upon double face palm courtesy of Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes.