Any good / flat roads near CT?

g-rex

Hi

Anyone know of any good surface, long / flat roads with minimal traffic near Cape Town? The mountain is fun and all, but I would like to be able to ride for a while on a flatter / rolling road.

Thanks for any advice!

g

durbanville area. tons of roads.

I wanna say the R27 road along the westcoast passing melkbosstrand and onward, but that's another deathwish of note. See many roadies training out that way, but man, that road and death: bosombuddies.

Road between Durbanville and Malmesbury.(Klipheuwel rd) Lots of rollers, but nothing hectic. Even better when the SE is blowing (coming back is a b!tch) :D

Take the Cycling lane from Cape Town to Table View and back. It runs along the BRT route so if you don't feel like doing the return leg you can simply get on the bus.

Did the ride with my wife from Table View to Cape Town on Saturday. As we got to Town it started raining so my wife had a valid excuse to take the bus back to Table View.

She does not enjoy riding in the traffic (who does!) and enjoyed not having to worry about this.

Its also very flat (about 50m ascent in 20-odd kms) meaning she had no trouble doing this in less than 1 hour. The return trip is ideal for unfit beginners.

Take the Cycling lane from Cape Town to Table View and back. It runs along the BRT route so if you don't feel like doing the return leg you can simply get on the bus.

Did the ride with my wife from Table View to Cape Town on Saturday. As we got to Town it started raining so my wife had a valid excuse to take the bus back to Table View.

She does not enjoy riding in the traffic (who does!) and enjoyed not having to worry about this.

Its also very flat (about 50m ascent in 20-odd kms) meaning she had no trouble doing this in less than 1 hour. The return trip is ideal for unfit beginners.

+1

The Southern peninsula is also a great ride, but then you have to deal with a few hills (one mans' hill is another mans' mountain). The scenery beats anything on earth and there are several great coffee/croissant "stations" along the way. The road surface is mostly OK and traffic is easy and mostly aware of cyclists, with the exception of a short stretch near Kommetjie.

Start from Simons Town round Smitswinkels, Scarborough, Oceanview, Fish Hoek and back to Simons Town. That is the flattest you'll find in this neck of the woods and total about 45 - 50 km. :)

For a few more hills and extra time, include things like Slangkop, Black Hill and Red Hill. This can add up to about 60 km but is no longer "rolling" in my book. :D

If you're still calling the above "rolling hills", then include Ou Kaapse Weg end Chapmans Peak also. You can do 110km and more of this, but then I call it "mountainous"!:clap:

If the Swartland dust (and hayfever) get you down, come try the above.

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I am going to go explore Durbanville!

Good idea!

Lots of route here.

The Stellenbosch-Somerset-Kuilsriver region is also good.

Durbanville-Malmesbury-Wellington-triangle is good with many rollers, lots of flast flats, lekka big yellow lined shoulder and great viz for cars.

Thanks all - I live in Hout Bay so my usual routes take in the Southern Peninsula or sometimes up the West Coast towards Koeberg (including the cycle lane from town to Tableview) and although these are great routes I am looking for a change. The Durbanville area sounds good - I have not done much riding out there except for the Burger and as I am training for my 3rd Ironman something where I can get on the tribars and just go sounds ideal (the route in PE is pretty flat so I want to spend more time training on flatter routes at higher speeds). I had a bit of a close shave coming back through Fish Hoek this weekend where a driver almost ran me off the road so wider roads with good visibility would be ideal.

Hi R-Rex

Didn't realize you were a local. And on top of that I (old and slow) was giving advice to an Iron Man dude :clap: Sorry, that was funny, if only to me.