Whats up at Morewood

schmoose

I just spoke to someone on the know about what is in the pipeline, they have a couple of nice spit pivot designs on the go, the one I found VERY interesting is apparently they have a 120mm 650b design that they're about to prototype.

Sounds like the kind of fun bike Morewood is renowned for.

First they need to give us the Sukuma they've been promising us. Then they need to add it's 170mm brethren (Mbuzi replacement) - preferably at the same time. Then, yes, a 120mm 650b bike will be nice.

Got those 150 and 170 mm frames in the office here, they're pretty sweet, lots more cnc'ing going on than anything they've made before which is probably what theres such a delay, tooling up to produce these frames en masse can't be easy.

But what it does mean is that future split pivot bikes should come out far quicker.

Got those 150 and 170 mm frames in the office here, they're pretty sweet, lots more cnc'ing going on than anything they've made before which is probably what theres such a delay, tooling up to produce these frames en masse can't be easy.

But what it does mean is that future split pivot bikes should come out far quicker.

How do you rate the Kwela?

How do you rate the Kwela?

Its a hard tail 29er so I take a LOT of stick from my mates, it climbs well, but as with all 29ers its a bit dodgy on singletrack, With a dropper post Its quite good fun as I don't feel like I'm steering a bus round a corner.

With the W2W this weekend I'm going to miss my Zula.

Its a hard tail 29er so I take a LOT of stick from my mates, it climbs well, but as with all 29ers its a bit dodgy on singletrack, With a dropper post Its quite good fun as I don't feel like I'm steering a bus round a corner.

With the W2W this weekend I'm going to miss my Zula.

So would you say you are sold on the benefits of a bigger wheel, or do you reckon it’s still a bit of hype?

Thats pointless. I saw the frame a year ago and guess what, still just an idea that hasn't materialised, typical ZA company mindset.

Thats pointless. I saw the frame a year ago and guess what, still just an idea that hasn't materialised, typical ZA company mindset.

Its not a ZA thing, every single bike company I know of has had issues with delivery over the last year. Clothes, components, frames, brakes, Europe, US, China, ZA: Its a VERY common problem in this industry. Its often worst for the small guys, of which Morewood is one.

Chubba: no 29ers are not all they're made out to be.

Edited by schmoose

:o uh oh I get the popcorn ;)

hahaha! you're only interested cos you recently came out of the 29er closet

How is that a ZA company mindset? They want to get the tooling right, which takes a HELLUVA long time. Especially when you consider that the moulds etc cost an arm and a leg to produce, and if you're mass producing you need quite a few of them. As for the prototype, it's exactly that - a prototype, ie: Not geared for full-on production, but rather a one-off on which they base their final product.

As for seeing the frame a year ago, we all did. A delay in production has nothing to do with being a South African company.

Now that you guys have managed to take this thing waaay off-topic, what do you people think of the 650b 120mm thing?

How many flippin wheel sizes do we need? Its getting a bit silly now. Maybe i should dig out the old bmx and start a 20 inch trail riding scene. Cornering would be awesome but the bumpy bits would suck. . .

650b rocks.. very nimble and so plush on a dually.. you roll over rocks just that little bit better than 26er and it climbs wellish... now that i am on 29er i cant really say that i am climbing slower... in fact technical climbing is a breeze to roll up rockyledges.. does need some power though

Guest Omega Man

Oh COOL. Another pointless standard with questionable performance gains designed specifically to liberate you of your hard earned cash.

Edited by Omega Man