WHEELS; WHEELS; WHEELS

TommieV

I need advice please. I own a pair of Mavic R-sys wheels and love them allot. I have a opportunity to buy a set of Zipp 404's for a very good price, but not sure if it will be a waste of money. Are the two wheel sets even comparable or can I invest in a set of 404's? The R-Sys wheels are obviously clinchers and the 404's are tubbies...Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Keep your Mavic's

Zipp wheels are over rated.

Sent me the details of the Zipp wheel seller

I will buy it :P

Hahaha!!! Thanks hey. That answers my question..... Sort of......

It will be a waste unless 3 minutes in a race is a lot. It's all a mind game. Get them and you will try harder as you think you should be faster.

i have deep section tubbies and "low profile" tubbies. There is a circuit of about 5km which i sometimes use for intervals. Cant say that i clock faster times with the deep sections

You gotta be really dedicated to switch to tubbies - at least when I get a puncher on my clinchers I can change my tube in about 5 minutes and still finish a race.

Thanks for all the advice. Did I say I can get the set for 8K

We all know you didn't say that earlier...

And now you're just showing off.

One of the main issues of tubbies is the practicality if you don't have a back-up vehicle.

So: Get a puncture on a clincher-change tube.

Get a puncture on a tubbie-start walking(unless you have the kit but its still a big hassle)

Deep section tubbies is a nice to have extra wheelset. Deep down you know that it probably dont make much difference but come raceday and there is no wind you gladly reach for them. For me there is a different riding experience. I do feel faster on the bike even if it does not show on the clock.

Not everyday you can buy a zipp 404 wheelset for 8K. If you have the money lying around then what the hell, buy it. If you need to make special arrangements then it is not worth it

You know you are going to buy them anyway ;)

We all know you didn't say that earlier...

And now you're just showing off.

One of the main issues of tubbies is the practicality if you don't have a back-up vehicle.

So: Get a puncture on a clincher-change tube.

Get a puncture on a tubbie-start walking(unless you have the kit but its still a big hassle)

Sorry, did not mean to show off. Just thought it might help if you knew how much I could get it for. I understand what you say. Thanks again

Deep section tubbies is a nice to have extra wheelset. Deep down you know that it probably dont make much difference but come raceday and there is no wind you gladly reach for them. For me there is a different riding experience. I do feel faster on the bike even if it does not show on the clock.

Not everyday you can buy a zipp 404 wheelset for 8K. If you have the money lying around then what the hell, buy it. If you need to make special arrangements then it is not worth it

You know you are going to buy them anyway ;)

LOL, yip, you read my mind.... I am a real roady. The problem is that I wanted to get a MTB to try out the other side of cycling as well. Then this opportunity came along. So, I need to decide if the Mavics will do the job, and I shop for a 8K MTB or do I invest in the 404's because they are a good bargain that does not come by everyday......They will look nice on my bike <_<

Sorry, did not mean to show off. Just thought it might help if you knew how much I could get it for. I understand what you say. Thanks again

I was just joking about the showing off, maybe being a bit sour that I couldn't come across such a deal :P

But if you're willing to take the risk then go for it!

They aren't necessarily an investment. Everything depreciates, cycling parts and components included. I am almost sure they are heavier than your RSys wheels, but admit it, they look cooler. Tubbies are not practical for everyday use imho as mentioned above. Rsys wheels have their own problematic history with a massive recall a few years ago as there were apparently a lot of spectactular failures of the carbon spokes. The newer versions are apparently better... If the 404's are not the dimpled version, I am not so sure if that price is such a bargain. Riding an MTB will bring a new fun element to cycling for you.. The choice is yours..

R-SYS clinchers weigh around 1350g, Zipp 404 tubbies weigh in at about 1250g.

R-SYS wheels are some of the most un-aerodynamic wheels out there.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aero_english.jpg

If there is no back up then you just carry a spare tubby,and if you puncture just change the tubby and ride easy(careful around the corners) to the finish-no problem.Use to train in the old days on tubbs and believe me a lot of punctures in the dark,just a pain in the bud to repair them.