Cricket......

E1A104

We got belted properly by New Zealand,

lost by 134 runs.

Didnt see the game but 2 men (# and Dale) cannot make up that difference.

We cant blow hot and cold like this and lets hope the bad game is out of our system now.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lost by 134 runs.

We cant blow hot and cold like this and lets hope the bad game is out of our system now.

If there's one team that I would like to see lift the Cup, other than SA, it would be theKiwis.

lost by 134 runs.

# provides that stability in the batting lineup we lost our last 2 game when he and dale hasnt played. #justsaying

Edited by RFC311

If there's one team that I would like to see lift the Cup, other than SA, it would be theKiwis.

And they have been playing great cricket.

Wouldnt mind seeing them win.

# provides that stability in the batting lineup we lost our last 2 game when he and dale hasnt played. #justsaying

Agreed, but they cannot change a result like that.

The stalwarts need to pull finger and let the top three off the hook a bit.

I am actually very happy that the Kiwi's gave us a bit of a skrik today. A run-a-ball 100 from # and 4 for 40 from Dale would definitely changed the game, but that is neither here nor there right now.

NZ at home is as dangerous as any of the top 3 sides and people that does not recognize this may well be in for a big surprise. They are a bunch of street fighters and they all try to pitch in. They all got into double figures and the highest score was 66. If they lost the game they would have been criticized for all getting starts and then throwing it away. 

While not seeing the game, I would think that we could definitely pick up the intensity and hopefully we do not under estimate the likes of Zim, Ireland or the UAE. One exceptional performer from the opposition, a few loose deliveries, dropped chances and one or 2 soft dismissals in our innings and its game on.

I am actually very happy that the Kiwi's gave us a bit of a skrik today. A run-a-ball 100 from # and 4 for 40 from Dale would definitely changed the game, but that is neither here nor there right now.

NZ at home is as dangerous as any of the top 3 sides and people that does not recognize this may well be in for a big surprise. They are a bunch of street fighters and they all try to pitch in. They all got into double figures and the highest score was 66. If they lost the game they would have been criticized for all getting starts and then throwing it away.

While not seeing the game, I would think that we could definitely pick up the intensity and hopefully we do not under estimate the likes of Zim, Ireland or the UAE. One exceptional performer from the opposition, a few loose deliveries, dropped chances and one or 2 soft dismissals in our innings and its game on.

+1

Of the three minnows I actually fear Ireland most. The past few Cups they've consistently beaten a test nation. If we are slapgat playing them they have the ability to take advantage and win, certainly more so than Zim or the UAE.

Is this good batting by Ireland or crap bowling by the Windies?

The Windies are very sub-par, Vetseun

Well played Ireland! 

So that makes it 3 out of 6 of the 300+ successful run chases at the world cup have been won by Ireland. Who would have thought!

Edit: spelling

Edited by jimmycool

Ok, so far everything (well most things) have gone according to the script. Aus and NZ put down serious markers and dispelled any thoughts of an early upset, SA avoided a speed wobble against a fiery Zim side with some proper batting, India showed why they will go a long way in this tournament and WI underperformed miserably to give Ireland a well-deserved win, reminding the other contenders in group B that they will have to play full strength sides against the smaller cricketing nations and play well at that. 

England, Sri Lanka and Pakistan will not go into panic mode yet, but will have to play extra well in the qualifiers. 

WI will be lucky to progress to the next round at this rate, 

The top sides will look at Net Run Rate early and try and create a margin of safety should there be weather affecting matches that they would have banked on winning.

SA's match against India is going to be telling. It seems like SA would have been better served to have a triangular series with Ireland and Zim, opposed to a 5 match series against WI who today showed just how poor they have been all season. 

so we had 5 games so far, 300+ scores in the first inn in all 5 games, and the first successful chase today.  I think both WI and Pak can struggle to go through to next round (more WI than Pak though), but both sides miss their star bowlers in those middle overs.

so we had 5 games so far, 300+ scores in the first inn in all 5 games, and the first successful chase today.  I think both WI and Pak can struggle to go through to next round (more WI than Pak though), but both sides miss their star bowlers in those middle overs.

agreed

Rather quiet here... even Shebeen didn't comment on QDK and his 66er against the Lankans the other day.

was on leave, am back and into the tournament now! remember the next month is mostly a waste of time. All you need to do is play average cricket and then peak for three knockout games.

I don't think we can write off the windies from the 1/4 yet after just one game. but it could well see ireland sneaking past pakistan with this result. 

aaaand we're back to the 1996 world cup - lots of time between matches now but i promise i'll get it all up to date before we hit the knockouts!

3rd QF: South Africa v West Indies at Karachi - Mar 11, 1996

West Indies 264/8 (50/50 ov); South Africa 245 (49.3/50 ov)

West Indies won by 19 runs

Scorecard | Article index (3) | Photo index (3)

Maybe this is where the legend of the CHOKE really comes from – we were outplayed in Sydney 1992, but here we took defeat when a steamrolling victory over a battling windies side seemed a much easier option. We topped our group and were on a run of 10 straight victories.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/72300/72327.jpg

take that says the prince.

This is remembered as the game that Brian Lara took away from us with a masterclass. Looking back now it’s probably more a view on how much the game has changed. 111 off 94 is not really going to set the world alight, and 264 was a decent total but not unobtainable.

Ambrose and Walsh were in the team, but it was the spin of Harper and Jimmy Adams that got 7 of our wickets. Also – no Allan Donald in the lineup – our two spinners (from what I can see, the only time we played both Symcox and Paul Adams together in the tournament) got a bit of a klap.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/72300/72328.jpg

that would be the last thing steve palframan did in a proteas jersey

More articles here - http://www.espncricinfo.com/wctimeline/content/story/794387.html

The good news from this world cup was of course the winners - Sri Lanka. They came through a revolution of sorts, with a rapid rise from minnow status to world beaters...and with a fatty chewing gum running the show (the amazing Arjuna ranatunga) they took out the Aussies who were about to start a long long run of winning.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/121200/121238.3.jpg