94.7 MTB Challenge (50km)

Francois Pienaar

Hi all,

I'm doing the MTB challenge (50km) for the first time on Sunday and was wondering if anyone has a route profile that they can share.

Also, any other comments on the route etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Francois.

Francois francois...route profiles are for accountants. All they do is ruin the fun.

We all know the area is not too hilly - there can't possible be any hills that require special gears, extra jelly babies or a last minute EPO injection.

Get on bike, ride, have fun.

The course is non technical, not too hilly and about 50km in length. Thats all you need to know.

Francois francois...route profiles are for accountants. All they do is ruin the fun.

We all know the area is not too hilly - there can't possible be any hills that require special gears, extra jelly babies or a last minute EPO injection.

Get on bike, ride, have fun.

The course is non technical, not too hilly and about 50km in length. Thats all you need to know.

Eldron, Eldron, some okes take their race seriaas, need to know exactly where to attack, when to eat, when to sip their 32GI, what the winning time was for last 3 years, expected humidity, temperature, wind direction, last rainfall, average rainfall, tyre pressure, type of lube, which chamois cream, bibs or baggies, what sealant, average rate of elevation change, gradient of the uphills, gradient of the downhills, effect of gravity on their rolling resistance...

Oh, sorry, he's asking about the 50km, not the mommies and kiddies race... :blush:

Francois, as Eldron says, get on the bike, have fun, and if I may add, don't get too worked up when you need to queue to get through a bottleneck, and the faaast ous in the short races pass you by off the track...

Eldron, Eldron, some okes take their race seriaas, need to know exactly where to attack, when to eat, when to sip their 32GI, what the winning time was for last 3 years, expected humidity, temperature, wind direction, last rainfall, average rainfall, tyre pressure, type of lube, which chamois cream, bibs or baggies, what sealant, average rate of elevation change, gradient of the uphills, gradient of the downhills, effect of gravity on their rolling resistance...

Oh, sorry, he's asking about the 50km, not the mommies and kiddies race... :blush:

Francois, as Eldron says, get on the bike, have fun, and if I may add, don't get too worked up when you need to queue to get through a bottleneck, and the faaast ous in the short races pass you by off the track...

There are no special 32 GI sipping points and the whole route will be congested.

Special sections where you have to push your bike will be pointed out by the riders ahead when they suddenly stop/fall off theirs and start the mandatory cyclocross section

Francois, they mock us. But I too would want to have an idea of the route. This race will take a big effort from me to complete. I am surprised that nothing has been published about the route. Good luck. And no, I am not an accountant.

Div/Francois...

There's really not much to say - the course is designed around the beginner/intermediate athlete having a fun(ish)) and safe race. No huge climbs, no portage sections (except those forced by congestion) and nothing remotely dangerous. Its a rolling 50km course that is best described at "tame". Be patient would be main piece of advice - there is crazy congestion with so many people on such a little track.

500ml per hour and about 70g of carbs per hour and you'll be hundreds. This is a great first "long" race.

Now have fun damnit ;-)

Francois, they mock us. But I too would want to have an idea of the route. This race will take a big effort from me to complete. I am surprised that nothing has been published about the route. Good luck. And no, I am not an accountant.

Hey Div, it's not mocking, seriously, more poking fun at some of the other threads that have been going on.

Depending on your start group, be prepared to stop at congestion points, which gives you time to catch your breath. Drink a lot, particularly if it's hot as it's been in the week, there's one tough longish climb on the Leeukop side of the route (the Kyalami side of the road), then you bomb downhill and have another steepish climb after that.

Take it easy, enjoy the atmosphere, and have a safe ride!

Div/Francois...

There's really not much to say - the course is designed around the beginner/intermediate athlete having a fun(ish)) and safe race ....

Funish?????

Funish?????

Yeah - there isn't really enough technical/ single track to make it real fun - its just fun. Ish.

Ask the grammar nazis to explain it to you ;-)

i saw on the facebook page the total elevation is 910m, not hectic but a bit more than a walk in the park (at least for a doddler like me :)

:offtopic: Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you :clap: :thumbup:

Sorry for the Hijack, I just wanted to say thank you to the Cyclist who assisted me today, when I cramped up just before the long "queue" aka bottleneck after the last road crossing. at that stage all I had on my mind was the pain :eek: I can't remember If I even said thank you. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have finished.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Div/Francois...

There's really not much to say - the course is designed around the beginner/intermediate athlete having a fun(ish)) and safe race. No huge climbs, no portage sections (except those forced by congestion) and nothing remotely dangerous. Its a rolling 50km course that is best described at "tame". Be patient would be main piece of advice - there is crazy congestion with so many people on such a little track.

500ml per hour and about 70g of carbs per hour and you'll be hundreds. This is a great first "long" race.

Now have fun damnit ;-)

Dammit!!! spell check