Sold your 29er to go back to a 26"

Iron

I think I would struggle going back. Riding a 29er dual sus made me lazy when it comes to picking lines. I have unknowingly adopted the riding style of "when in doubt, go straight". I doubt this would've worked so well on my old 26 HT.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The age old debate. How boring!

Bottom line is that 95% of it still comes down to how much you train and how good you are technically. You can buy whatever bike you want, if you dont train and put in the hours, no bike will help you. I am not professing to be a world champion cyclist, but I must admit there is nothing as satisfying as passing someone on a 29er, I smile just thinking of it :)

That being said, I will agree with the comment made above and the next time I am in the market for a MTB it will be one with 29inch wheels. Until then, my Zula will do the trick just fine me thinks!

So how many of you ( or if you know of someone ) bought a 29er to see if the hype is whats its made out , then did not like the bike and sold it to get a 26" again ?.

Just curious.

I am a very average rider and have ridden a 26 hard tail for a few years. I always struggled to keep up with the guys I ride with - they were all on 26 duals -scott 50's and 40's etc. I recently bought Scott 29 elite dual supension - the whole bike weighs 12.4kgs. What a difference. I am riding much faster and don't battle as much and its great not be bounced around on corrugations etc. The only thing that is slightly more difficult is cornering on single track - you feel much higher and so it feels like you are going to fall over when leaning into a corner - I wont go back to 26er

I think I would struggle going back. Riding a 29er dual sus made me lazy when it comes to picking lines. I have unknowingly adopted the riding style of "when in doubt, go straight". I doubt this would've worked so well on my old 26 HT.

Not picking on you here (Squier) , but since it's mentioned that a 29er goes over an obstacle & a 26er not (as easy).

Have anyone actually measured the difference in size of a specific obstacle & ditch which you'll tumble overbars on a 26er & 29er? Basically what I mean is that while you might pedal lighter / less (watookaldieregtewoordinengelsis) will a 29er make you a lazier rider for obstacles? In other words you become a faster, but "weaker" rider on a 29er...

I've ridden only a DS 29er (Anthem X2) & must say -not too big difference between it & my 26' Trance X1. At least not enough to spend double the moolas on.

When is the 30.5" coming to destroy it's predecessors?

Ride what you like/ can afford / what the situation asks for etc...