Brand New to Mountain Biking

GooseBumps

Good day!

I want to buy my first mountain bike and need some guidance on where to start!

Any helpful tips to look at or website link?

I am quite a tall guy (198cm) and weigh about 110kg. Anything that would be a better fit or a big NO-NO to watch out for?

Much appreciated.

Dude, I have just been through the same myself and did much online research. The main theme that came out when considering a bike was obviously the frame size, and although height plays a part it seems inseam (from your crotch to the ground) is a far more accurate indicator of the size you'd need. After size it really boils down to budget as the component set you get will be all about what you can afford.

You will probably be encouraged to consider second hand bikes to start but based on my experience, and considering the time of the year, it is also worthwhile looking at shops that may be having clearance sales of their 2011 models as the new 2012 models come in. I picked up a total bargain this way.

As regard websites, a quick Google will result in plenty advice, however each may differ, so what I did is read a lot and trusted what came up most often.

Good luck.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Firstly, decide on a budget.

That will then give some of us an idea as to whether you looking at an entry level hardtail or a top of the range dual suspension (or anywhere in between).

If you are plan is to get in shape,then get a +-R 4000 bike(pref.Silverback,Schwinn),and take it easy within your own limits.If you feel still up for it after a couple months of riding, then it will be time to seriously dent your bank account. Spending R20k on a bike and smashing it on singletrack... Priceless!

buy the best bike you can afford :clap: and welkom here you'll get all the answers some wrong but mostly right

Good luck with your search! I would recommend asking your local bikeshop for advice. If you are in jhb i am happy to recommend. You will find more detail about mtb's here than is you ever thought was out there.

Hey GooseBumps,

Why not give me a call or pop in to our shop for a chat over coffee. If you're new then it'll probably be best to have a look at what you're being recommended and there can be a lot of confusing opinions.

Plus we have our annual sale coming up with some great deals to be had.

Ian

Good day!

I am quite a tall guy (198cm) and weigh about 110kg. Anything that would be a better fit or a big NO-NO to watch out for?

Much appreciated.

You will need a 23inch xxl bike. I only know of Merida and santa cruz .Gary fisher .Trek that make a frame that big.If you have the money go for a sc tallboy or GF .Don,t even think 26"for your size.Merida make a good value hardtail 29er and there will be stock[NB point]!

Anything that would be a better fit or a big NO-NO to watch out for?

Stay away from sub 800gr carbon frames,when you are still learning to ride. :D

Good day!

Much appreciated.

You are at the right website now , and one helpful tip is too use the search function. There are numerous threads/ topics about this :) . A good starting point is buget, taking into consideration the extra neccessaties such as helmet, gloves,shorts/bib, multi-tool.

Good day!

Much appreciated.

Dude.

It rocks.

Buy the bike that really makes you drool. MAKE SURE THE SIZE IS RIGHT....

Ignore all the waffle and marketing hype.

Let rip. :thumbup:

Good luck with your search! I would recommend asking your local A REPUTABLE bikeshop for advice. If you are in jhb i am happy to recommend. You will find more detail about mtb's here than is you ever thought was out there.

Hey GooseBumps,

Why not give me a call or pop in to our shop for a chat over coffee. If you're new then it'll probably be best to have a look at what you're being recommended and there can be a lot of confusing opinions.

Ian

Here's a man who has 'put his name out there'.

Stay away from sub 800gr carbon frames,when you are still learning to ride. :D

Stay away from carbon (point. period.)

Hey GooseBumps,

Ian

Now that's how you do it! :clap: :clap:

sorry for the highjack, when does the annual sale start?

The advise I got when I got my first MTB: Write down, on a piec of paper, the absolute max you are prepared to spend on a bike + all the extras. Then once you've accepted the fact that you'll be spending double that, then you're ready to buy a bike..