very Noisy Brakes

Stevief

I Have 160 mm rotors with slx brakes, i have changed the pads a few times and i bought xtr pads about 4 months ago. My original pads never made a sopund, these ones i use now are so noisy people get a fright and its really making my downhill dingletrack experience a horrid affair. The squeal like a mutilated goose. Its torture...HOw can i fix this...new pads if so which ones or new brakes??

I have a trance x2 and i ride a lot of hectic downhill etc so i need stopping power but at the moment i would rather crash than use my brakes its that bad.

Edited by Stevief

U tried taking them out and giving them a good clean? Maybe its just dust build up

I have heard that certain brake pads are more prone to squeeling but surely xtr are the bees knees of brake pads?

I Have 160 mm rotors with slx brakes, i have changed the pads a few times and i bought xtr pads about 4 months ago. My original pads never made a sopund, these ones i use now are so noisy people get a fright and its really making my downhill dingletrack experience a horrid affair. The squeal like a mutilated goose. Its torture...HOw can i fix this...new pads if so which ones or new brakes??

I have a trance x2 and i ride a lot of hectic downhill etc so i need stopping power but at the moment i would rather crash than use my brakes its that bad.

Dude.

Metal?

I don't know if it is just me, but I am beginning to suspect that there is something suspect in the latest xtr pad compound - metals!

Same issue here on and off. The latest pads I put in, the pad itself 'looks' different to the other two sets. No squeal on these ones. Wet or dry.

One of the sets appears to have 'glazed' on half the surface. A rough sandpaper (80g) seemed to sort it, and the squealing. I suspect this is no ones fault but Shimano. <_< :unsure:

EDIT: Oh. NEVER experienced this before with Shimano metal xtr's.

Edited by The Drongo

I agree with The Drongo,

Had the same issues with my XT brakes, and this is what I did!

1. Sanded the pads with a very fine sand paper

2. Covered them in thinners and gave them a good burn to burn all impurities

3. Cleaned my rotors

I do this from time to time when they start making a noise, and this normally fixes them for a month a so.

Hope this helps!

I agree with The Drongo,

Had the same issues with my XT brakes, and this is what I did!

1. Sanded the pads with a very fine sand paper

2. Covered them in thinners and gave them a good burn to burn all impurities

3. Cleaned my rotors

I do this from time to time when they start making a noise, and this normally fixes them for a month a so.

Hope this helps!

That would probably be the right thing to do. I have been very slack as of late with my bike maintenance maybe its the bikes way of telling me to wake up.

I had the same problem with xtr metal pads. this is how you solve it:

1) sand pads

2) clean pads with thinners

3) clean rotors

4) throw pads in bin and buy resin pads.

problem solved

4) throw pads in bin and buy resin pads.

problem solved

:thumbup:

Did the same...rather have my brakes fail in mud than live with that shrieking vibration when ever you try "are forced to" slow down

Yep, it's the resin pads story again.

I *hate* sintered metal pads. Luckily, I don't generally ride when it's muddy, so resin does the job for me.