Eish - Kom ons bid

Jason

Ten more years of power cuts
Dec 13 2007 09:36 PM
Andrew Kenny

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-25_2238346

Because there is such an acute shortage of generation capacity, because electricity demand is growing steadily and because it takes at least 6 years to build the baseload stations we need, it will be 10 years or more before we have sufficient reserve margin to end the load shedding. 

On Tuesday President Mbeki apologised publicly for the power shortages, saying the government had not allowed Eskom to build new stations when it wanted to. 

He said, "Eskom was right. We were wrong". Now this is a jolly decent thing for him to say, but it is wrong on two counts. First, Mbeki suggests that it was rather difficult to tell whether we needed new power stations.

It wasn't. It was blindingly obvious. Second, he is too chivalrous in taking all the blame upon his government; half must fall on Eskom.

Parastatal spending spree

Shaun Benton

6 February 2006

State-owned enterprises Eskom and Transnet are to get the lion?s share

of the more than R370 billion set aside by government for

infrastructure development, Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka

said on Monday.

Briefing the media in Cape Town on Government?s Accelerated and

Shared Growth Initiative (ASGISA), Mlambo-Ngcuka said 40 percent of the

R372 billion in state investment announced by President Thabo Mbeki on

Friday in his State of the Nation Address would go to public

enterprises.

Infrastructure upgrade

Eskom will be

spending R84 billion, she said, mostly on energy generation,

transmission and distribution. Transnet would be spending R47 billion,

with R40 billion of this going to harbours, ports, railways and a

petroleum pipeline.

This announcement was made nearly two years ago, and the situation has worsened markedly. What was the R84,000,000,000.00 spent on????????

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot, they giving 2010 to Albania! I heard they passed the basic infrstructure test, lights 24/7/365!!!! LOL

Eish... just by the way... and keep this on the Down Low! My sister in-law works for Eskom, a management position, and in July she received a performance bonus that could have bought 2 brand new Carbon Soloists! Shocked

I keep asking my wife what freaking performance? We never have any lights! Angry

Bateleur, you still with us!? Long time no hear.

Where were you last Saturday? Did not see or hear you at Hubbers Ride (Cyclist for Santa)

Eish... just by the way... and keep this on the Down Low! My sister in-law works for Eskom' date=' a management position, and in July she received a performance bonus that could have bought 2 brand new Carbon Soloists! Shocked

I keep asking my wife what freaking performance? We never have any lights! Angry
[/quote']

then go to mica and buy some. eskom supply electricity not lightsLOL

Eish... just by the way... and keep this on the Down Low! My sister in-law works for Eskom' date=' a management position, and in July she received a performance bonus that could have bought 2 brand new Carbon Soloists! Shocked

[/quote']

Eish... my bad... It's that sub standard education I have coming through! LOL

I've heard that Eskom is also exporting power to African countries, if so, why are they doing this if we have a shotage of our own?

[/quote']

Eish... my bad... It's that sub standard education I have coming through! LOL

but even with that sub standard schooling, i reckon you'd do better than the idiots at eskom and governmentLOLi vote for pantani to head up the country's electricity utlityBig%20smile

The thing that realy gets to me is that Eskom wants to jack prices up by 18 % due to the massive incease in demande that has resulted by rapid growth and development.

Surely if there has been massive growth and development there are many many more people buying power from Eskom - thus they should have plenty cash to go around.

Its like coca cola increasing their prices as more people are drinking coke - B.S

My sister in-law works for Eskom' date=' a management position, and in July she received a performance bonus that could have bought 2 brand new Carbon Soloists! [/quote']

Why did they punish her like that?