SADDLES: STUDY DESIGN BEFORE BUYING

pedal menace

Ok...I am not a techie! I am not a bicycle part expert! I love cycling, and thats it!! So a few weeks back I decided I am buying myself a really fancy saddle, the kind a scale struggles to weigh! Many R's further my saddle arrives at home. Very excited I was ready to mount my new saddle. Uh oh!!! Something is not adding up. I have a seatpost (KCNC...YUM YUM) that fits perfectly around the rail of my existing saddle...A ROUND RAIL! Here I am looking at my new (not being affected by gravity)saddle and its rails are square! O crap! My existing seatpost can only handle round rails and not square rails. Imagine the dissapointment. For the fun of it I went and looked at my other bike's seatpost. Same issue! Square rails ARE A BIG PROBLEM! Back to the web and nowhere does it meantion this addle has a square rail and the photo also doesn't quite show it. Even went to KCNC's website and they do not mention that their seatpost can only handle round rails. Is this really such a big issue? Am I missing something? Or should online retailers (the most famous one in SA, and I love them)not mention this when selling a rather expensive saddle?

Ok...I am not a techie! I am not a bicycle part expert! I love cycling, and thats it!! So a few weeks back I decided I am buying myself a really fancy saddle, the kind a scale struggles to weigh! Many R's further my saddle arrives at home. Very excited I was ready to mount my new saddle. Uh oh!!! Something is not adding up. I have a seatpost (KCNC...YUM YUM) that fits perfectly around the rail of my existing saddle...A ROUND RAIL! Here I am looking at my new (not being affected by gravity)saddle and its rails are square! O crap! My existing seatpost can only handle round rails and not square rails. Imagine the dissapointment. For the fun of it I went and looked at my other bike's seatpost. Same issue! Square rails ARE A BIG PROBLEM! Back to the web and nowhere does it meantion this addle has a square rail and the photo also doesn't quite show it. Even went to KCNC's website and they do not mention that their seatpost can only handle round rails. Is this really such a big issue? Am I missing something? Or should online retailers (the most famous one in SA, and I love them)not mention this when selling a rather expensive saddle?

Name the saddle - menace!

I bought the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbon 2011. A mere 115g...a beautiful saddle...now just lying in my drawer :thumbdown:

PS: Just looked at website of retailer. All it says is: "•Rails: Carbon". Should say "•Rails: SQUARE Carbon

Edited by pedal menace

I bought the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbon 2011. A mere 115g...a beautiful saddle...now just lying in my drawer :thumbdown:

PS: Just looked at website of retailer. All it says is: "•Rails: Carbon". Should say "•Rails: SQUARE Carbon

Can you not just send it back and get a replacement?

Rails are probably more rectangular than square I guess but is most definitely not oval or round. I did something I guess I shouldn't have....being really excited about the saddle I still mounted it and went for a ride but it didn't feel secure so I removed it. Makes it impossible to return now. Less white than before now. But it most definately did not feel secure on my existing seatpost. Are you guys saying that it should?

I think I should have taken Fizik...was riding on Fizik Arione..lovely saddle but quite heavy. Hence the new one.

Edited by pedal menace

Where did you buy it? If the shape of the rails makes it's impossible to mount on a normal seatpost and they didn't state this, it's defective. If you bought it locally, you should be able to return it for a full refund under the CPA, regardless of whether you've taken it for a test ride or not.

Where did you buy it? If the shape of the rails makes it's impossible to mount on a normal seatpost and they didn't state this, it's defective. If you bought it locally, you should be able to return it for a full refund under the CPA, regardless of whether you've taken it for a test ride or not.

I was thinking the same thing

I bought it at CWCYCLES...but I do not want to discredit them. I have bought so many things from them before. And they do give great service. I do feel however that this fact should be clearly mentioned on their website. Can I realy ask for a refund since I went for a ride with them and it is as such not "new" anymore?

PS: I did pick while googling the issue that Ritchey makes clamps specifically for square rails. But I see no reason to change my KCNC seatpost.

Edited by pedal menace

I bought it at CWCYCLES...but I do not want to discredit them. I have bought so many things from them before. And they do give great service. I do feel however that this fact should be clearly mentioned on their website. Can I realy ask for a refund since I went for a ride with them and it is as such not "new" anymore?

Call them and find out, all you can do is ask, the worst is they will say No, if so sell it on The Hub.

OK cool..I will follow up with CWCYCLES but let me iterate again that I have received nothing but excellent service from them in the past. So please do not think I want to put them in a bad light at all.

OK cool..I will follow up with CWCYCLES but let me iterate again that I have received nothing but excellent service from them in the past. So please do not think I want to put them in a bad light at all.

I doubt anyone will see them in bad light because of this :thumbup: Let us know how it goes

PS: I did pick while googling the issue that Ritchey makes clamps specifically for square rails. But I see no reason to change my KCNC seatpost.

I can think of one reason why you should change your seatpost ;)