Coronation Double Century - 26 November

CycleTourWebbie

To enter and cater for a "Top Team" for DC can cost anywhere from 10-20 thousand rand, and that's not counting flying team riders in from around the country and paying "salaries" for Pro's

When you invest such a lot and are cheated out of a result then there is a lot at stake for sponsors and not just pride and a medal around your neck.

If the organisers want to maintain the high investment from sponsored teams, guest celebrity status riders like Chris Froom and our domestic Pro's headlining for Cape Teams then they will need to adhere to a set list of rules for everyone. Contravention must be dealt with and results announced accordingly.

The way the podium ceremony was held was pretty bad, a lot of people couldn't wait that long and half the funrider contingent had left already (isn't that why the pro's wait around) and hardly anyone stayed to watch. Then to have 3 hours to sort out the protest and still not have an answer and not call the deserving remainder of the podium up to receive recognition was disappointing.

That's like: Who won the Tour de France after Landis was stripped of his Jersey? 90% of people have no clue.

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to Race Late. Car to SLOW, From the Wind. Started Last.

Rode first 100km in 3h30, catching Two Teams @ the Top of Tradouw. Rode second 100km in 4h30, catching another 6 Teams. Then a Team Wants to PASS ME IN LAST KM? Take IT AS A CHALLENGE, OUT SPRINT THEM UP THE CLIMB. Ave on Polar, 30km/ 8hours. SOLO!!!

You're like Cancellara - from another planet, man!

To enter and cater for a "Top Team" for DC can cost anywhere from 10-20 thousand rand, and that's not counting flying team riders in from around the country and paying "salaries" for Pro's

When you invest such a lot and are cheated out of a result then there is a lot at stake for sponsors and not just pride and a medal around your neck.

If the organisers want to maintain the high investment from sponsored teams, guest celebrity status riders like Chris Froom and our domestic Pro's headlining for Cape Teams then they will need to adhere to a set list of rules for everyone. Contravention must be dealt with and results announced accordingly.

The way the podium ceremony was held was pretty bad, a lot of people couldn't wait that long and half the funrider contingent had left already (isn't that why the pro's wait around) and hardly anyone stayed to watch. Then to have 3 hours to sort out the protest and still not have an answer and not call the deserving remainder of the podium up to receive recognition was disappointing.

That's like: Who won the Tour de France after Landis was stripped of his Jersey? 90% of people have no clue.

Sorry to hear this report.

Such a super event.

C'mon, organisers, make it count!

The last team left at 07:09 and for the first time, the top contenders were seeded in the middle of the field instead of the back.

We expect the winners from about 11h30.

Waiting on race updates from the road.

We started at 05h18 which was a 1st for me. In past DC'c that have started in Swellendam the feeding zones were chaos. Especially top of Op de Tradouw, through Montague and narrow road to Ashton. a Big part of this was due to top teams catching rest of the field.

Well done to organizers for this new start format.

I just wish we can convince the traffic dept and community of Swellendam to finish this awesome route by riding into main road of this beautiful time and not at the top of a lonely hill in the back part of town welcomed only by a few marshalls.

Doubt it, Brothers had to fly in half the Matlosana team to help them as it is... Feeding from the car the way they did can save minutes, and that could be enough to take them off the podium had they stopped.

The First team to finish with 6 of their own team members from regular racing hasn't even been mentioned here: Aurecon. No Pro's and All of them Subvets. came in 4th.

Clearly some Spring league Ego's clashed. So who @ Brothers Sports pee'd on your battery?

The bottom line is that the top teams are not interested in the event, but the top riders love it. This points to either poor orginising or a format that is not attractive for the top teams. For this event to grow, it will have to split into a fun rider section and a contenders section and perhaps be run over 2 days. Many of the complaints investigated are as a result of over crowding in the feeding zones. Some top teams needed to adjust. Not to gain an advantage, but simply not to be disadvantaged due to poor orginisation when it comes to the corporates and fundriders.

Clearly some Spring league Ego's clashed. So who @ Brothers Sports pee'd on your battery?

Hahaha. Why would there be spring league ego's? I didn't race for my own team that beat brothers in the team comp and won 4/5 events.

It's not so much an ego complaint than a safety complaint when you nearly take a musette the in the face. Rules are there for safety primarily.

Regardless it's up to the organizers to make and enforce rules. They cannot be omnipitant so teams will lodge protests and it's their right to do so.

Guest Frail4Life

You're like Cancellara - from another planet, man!

THANKS!

I want to FINISH the Year of on a High!

Riding HAS TO TAKE A BACKSEAT FROM NEXT YEAR. Damn!

I agree with the comments - rules are rules. Not to be bent - they are there for the safety of ALL riders.

If it says, stop in front of your stationary vehicle, then do so. If you don't follow the rules, a penalty needs to be enforced, be it time or disqualification. These 'pro's' need to come to the party and not ruin a great race for others.

One thing I did notice is teams having unmarked cars as secondary back up vehicles. Spotted a few cars pulled off the side of the road with no sticker on the front window, but having cooler boxes lined up next to it.... WTF?!

My first DC and I absolutely loved it. Starting at 06h02 we had the pleasure of having the top teams all come past us at close quarters, and it was a great event to be part of.

Our team deVere Investments South Africa endured 2 punctures, 2 dropped chains and numerous cramps, and we eventually finished in 7h54, with all 12 riders finishing together which was always our plan. The sub-7 didn't happen on the day, but there's always next year :thumbup:

Anyone who took part can vouch there was no "tailwind" as suggested earlier in the thread, rather when we turned left at robertson with 80km still to go it was into the face of a south-easter. The high average speeds recorded are purely down to hard work and the ability the top guys have. Chapeau!

Parts of the ride I loved the most were the climb over Tradouw Pass and descent through the valley (before Op de Tradouw), and also the roads around Montagu with the awesome scenery. The Jacaranda tree-lined roads near Bon Courage helped me forget about the headwind for about 30 seconds :) And then the elation at the finish after getting over those last 2 rollers, and finally cracking into the long-awaited keg of beer we'd brought with us to celebrate!!

If anyone knows Riaan Joubert who I think maybe rides for the Cycle For Joy please kindly get in touch with him as he left his cooler box behind at the Swellies Showgrounds and I now have it.

Ross

Firstly, @Tarmac, I have a lot of respect for you and riders of the Aurecon team and well done with your result. Finishing in 5h33 without any riders from the outside and all of you subvets is a great achievement.

I just want to clear what you said below:

Doubt it, Brothers had to fly in half the Matlosana team to help them as it is... Feeding from the car the way they did can save minutes, and that could be enough to take them off the podium had they stopped.

The First team to finish with 6 of their own team members from regular racing hasn't even been mentioned here: Aurecon. No Pro's and All of them Subvets. came in 4th.

Never did any Brothers Sport rider feed from a vehicle. We did however have permission, as did all the top teams requesting this, to feed with bags from feeders giving the bags to riders. There is clearly a big misunderstanding here in terms of feeding from a moving vehicle which did not happen.

If the teams being passed on the road (probably the teams that lodged the complaint as well) have fallen back out of the Brothers Sport slipstream, it would not have been such a big disruption and ''safety issue'' for them at all.

Re the Matlosana riders in the team... there's more to it than only results and each team's prorogative to spent their budget to the benefit of the team and the sponsor.

Nevertheless, sad that all the complaints (apparently hundreds of them from teams all over) could not be resolved before prizegiving.

Hahaha. Why would there be spring league ego's? I didn't race for my own team that beat brothers in the team comp and won 4/5 events.

Not sure the above is true. Brothers Sport did not race in the Spring league, did only 3 of the spring league events (Worcester, circuit race and West Coast Express) and came first in Worcester race and WCE.

We were a social team sponsored by Vodacom. A huge thank you to them for the sponsorship at such short notice. I'll upload our team pics later in the week.

We completed the DC in 10hrs 20min, bringing all 12 riders over the finish line. The experience and enjoyment thereof is what mattered. Not the time. As captain I paced the slowest rider to the finsish. For 8 riders this was there very 1st Double Century. To give you an idea, the slowest rider does a 6hr 21min Argus.

Our team members do not know each other and this event, plus the 10 training rides have allowed new friendships and bonds to be forged.

Thanks so much to the organisers of the event. The bag and socks this year has been appreciated. To the town of Swellendam for welcoming all the cyclists, it's appreciated. To the medics and marshalls, I felt so safe having you all around.

The scenery and beauty of the landscape through which we cycle is amazing.

My most memorable experience: While cycling up Tradouw I caught the sight of a waterfall cascading over a cave.

Edited by CC307

Quick little life lesson applicable here it seems...

Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness - Martin Luther King Jr