MTB 1x10 setup

Konaman

I require info about a 1x10 mtb chainring setup please.

What size front chainring is most appropriate for cross-country? 36T? rear cassette - 11-36T?

What type of chainguide is the best to prevent the chain from coming off in the front?

Do you require a short cage rear derailleur? I heard that the rear derailleurs are prone to break easily, because of the chain tension on a 1x10 system. Is it true?

Front chainring size all depends on your own leg strength and the type of terrain you ride in. If you live in Lesotho or Swaziland, I wouldn't recommend a 36.

An 11-36 cassette is what most 1x9 or 1x10ers use.

Have a look at Paul's Chainkeeper, simple to fit and light. I use it and am quite happy.

http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

If you are not going to ever use 2 chainrings up front, then yes, you can use a short cage derailleur, however, I would recommend a medium length cage.

Also busy getting things ready, but for a 1x9 setup.

Got a medium cage rear der, 32T up front and an 11-34 cassette. Going to try this at first and see how it goes.

(The single speed setup is killing me at the moment :blush: )

Don't know if you need a chain guide, guess I'll find out soon enough...

Also busy getting things ready, but for a 1x9 setup.

Got a medium cage rear der, 32T up front and an 11-34 cassette. Going to try this at first and see how it goes.

(The single speed setup is killing me at the moment :blush: )

Don't know if you need a chain guide, guess I'll find out soon enough...

32T too small chap. Even for Die Kaap.

... you can use a short cage derailleur, however, I would recommend a medium length cage.

Why would you recommend it?

'cause it will work better than a med. cage. :thumbup:

Now you tell me. I already got my built with a short cage - picked it up earlier today. Oh well, will have to make do with it.

Gonna try it anyway. Can always change it later.

It's more of an experiment for now. All parts not used are spares for my other bike anyway.

OR, I must just htfu and stay single speed.

Not so Drongo, if you go anywhere in Die Kaap it is up first. 32x 11x32 or 11x34 is just fine round these parts.

Biggest I would go around these parts is a 34T up front, maybe I'm a woes... :(

As for chain device, if you got the tom then check out C-Sixx chain guides. They are also bringing out an XC seat tube mounted guy next year...slick!

Otherwise MRP 1x guide or E-Thirteen XCX for guide only and no roller. I think Rock Star components do a cheap one also.

1x10, I would look at 34T 11x36t

Now you tell me. I already got my built with a short cage - picked it up earlier today. Oh well, will have to make do with it.

:lol: Confused much?

Ride your damn bike man ! :P

Why would you recommend it?

A short cage derailleur is only for a 1 blade setup but if you want to go for a 2 blade setup in front, a medium cage derailleur would work.

Edited by Thug