Replace Dura-Ace STI or Switch to Ultegra?

Marc Perel

Hey all,

Here's the low down...

I've been rolling Dura Ace 7800 for 4 years now and my right-hand side STI is broken.

• Replacing the part is R2,500
  • New STI's are R 4,000
  • Second hand STI's are about R 2,000
  • I can buy a full set of Ultegra 6700 for R 6,000
  • I can buy a Force/RED Mix R 7,000

What should I do? Anyone compared the two?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ultegra and it is fantastic!.

Ultegra would get my vote. Shifts are smooth, grouppo is easy to set up and easy to keep shifting smoothly. Great feedback from the STI's as well when braking.

I haven't used the SRAM shifters but I have heard that they can be temperamental. Also setup of the SRAM is difficult. That being said I ride with Sram x0 on my mtb and its awesome. I guess the point is then at that level it aint gonna make such a difference. Personal preference will win at the end of the day.

Edited by Zula

If the rest of the stuff is in good working condition, why spend R6000 when you can get back on the road for R2000?

Go with Sram....

Why :unsure:

Garmin-Cervélo riders will be shifting and braking on Japanese parts for the 2012 season instead of the SRAM they rode this season. Shimano, however, is not a new sponsor. Cervélo, the bike manufacturer, is purchasing Shimano groups for the team after repeated requests for Shimano from team members

Please dudes, no more Campy comments wasting away the thread, looking for advice on the other two brands, not gonna drop 20k on a Campy gruppo.

PS. It's akin to telling someone on a PC to get a Mac because their PC hung.

Edited by Marc Perel

If the rest of the stuff is in good working condition, why spend R6000 when you can get back on the road for R2000?

I concur, just wondering if there are any benefits of a switch. Plus I can sell the other parts for some rebate too.

You mean:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/mac_pc.png

Please dudes, no more Campy comments wasting away the thread, looking for advice on the other two brands, not gonna drop 20k on a Campy gruppo.

I went from DA7900 to Campy SR and it was the best move for me. If were in your position, I would look at Ultegra 6700, as you are getting a completely new group. I am not fond of Sram. If you are keen on campy, shop around, you might get some good deals on campy, especially this time of year