New Steerer tube

zaslinger

A while back, my Reba seals failed before a race, so in a hurry and being a noob, I rushed to the LBS and left the proud owner of a new SID team - Probably paid double what I should have, but I was in a hurry.

Now, I want to put it on another bike and find that they cut the steerer so short, its almost useless.

Long story short, can a new steerer be fitted?

hmmm.... that's what I thought?!?

Guess I'm still paying for my eagerness and inexperience.

Dammit - School fees!

Ah. Seems as if I spoke too soon, but not incorrectly.

You'll have to get a replacement set of uppers, which constitute the steerer, stanchions and crown.

My link

Order from your LBS or online... tried CRC, but no go. Ping Johann Bornman - he should know where to get a replacement set.

Edited by cptmayhem

Someone else may still be able to use the old fork / uppers and you might be able to sell it (if it wasn't cut ridiculously short)

I press new steerers into Marzocchi forks all the time. From what I can see, the Rox ones are exactly the same. Looks like they came from the same factory almost.

If you can source a Rox one I'll press it in for you, otherwise, lets see if the Marzocchi one fits. Unfortunately I only have steel ones in stock at present.

What you could do is poll here for a scrapped Rox part - steerer/crown/stanchion assemblies are routinely replaced - and we can put that in for you.

I have no idea of the local Rox agent can get you one, ask your bike shop to check.

• 1 year later...

Got the same problem re a short steerer. Just for interest, has anyone had experince (good or bad) with them extension/adapters? I think it would add quite a bit of weight but do they work and are they safe?

Quite a while back there was someone who put an insert in and then welded it and another piece on top of the same size tube to make it longer... Can't for the life of me think who it was, but it has been done and will probably be cheaper than the other option.

Mmmm, I wouldn't want to weld on a steerer tube due to stresses etc but I was thinking about the expanding wedge type insert.