BEGINNER ROAD BIKE

Mav1234

Good Afternoon all.

I need some assistance.I seem to have caught the cycling bug.I have a tight budget of 10k.There are so many road bike out there and i dont know were to begin.HELP.

Any help would be great

Gav

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for pre-owned at this stage. Find a good cycle shop and discuss with them, in fact do the rounds of a few cycle shops and discuss. I can strongly recommend Linden Cycles for a start, Jonene has helped many beginners on their way with sound advice.

Don't forget that you must allocate part of your budget for cycling gear, with a properly fitting helmet as your first priority

Best wishes

+ 1 apart from the bike, the correct gear is where most beginners fall off the bus ..."what? i need a helmet, shoes (albeit, optional for a complete novice), cycling shorts (your a*s will thank you later), tubes, a pump etc etc."

I agree 100% with what Barry has said. For best value, a second hand bike is the way to go. You'll need about R2000 for all the accessories, leaving only R8k for the bike. That can get you a second hand bike equivalent to a R16k-R20k new bike. Second hand bikes also keep their value fairly well - if you decide to upgrade or stop, you can get most of your money back when you sell it.

There is nothing nicer than walking out of a bike shop with a brand new bike. The problem with buying second hand is that you need to know what you are doing. You have to get the size right, probably the most important factor of any bike purchase. if you go the 2nd hand route, take somebody along who knows what to look out for.

Personally, I would buy new. For R10 000 you can pick up an aluminium framed bike with Tiagra components. If you shop wisely, you may even get one with 105 parts for that price. This is a good time to buy new as most places are clearing 2011 stock for the 2012 models. In most instances the difference between the new and older versions is nothing more than a paint job.

If you can stretch your budget to R13 000, you may find a carbon framed bike. I saw a Scott CR1 carbon at a bike shop for R12 999.

Saw this bike at Cajees for R 9 995 fantastic starter bike IMHO

Full carbon with 105 components and Mavic wheels

post-21263-0-21731200-1322643370.jpg

Also depends how bad the bug has bit? If you go new aluminium I garantee (if you get serious about riding) you will be looking for a carbon four months later. I would go with that Scott thats a great price and you get a carbon frame, you could always upgrade parts later.

I was at William's Bike Shop in Somerset West yesterday afternoon and saw a carbon Scott with Sora components going for R6K..... **** that's cheap! Ok, granted that you are going to want to upgrade the groupo after a little while, but as a starter bike, it's awesome.

that Scott has got me thinking about a little flip by Cajees later this week... I think I am finally outperforming my alu Giant... :) Which Cajees on that note..?

Pretty sure you could "negotiate" a better price. This was the ticket price and we all know that the price you see is not the price you pay...

Often bike shops would throw in a few extras when you make a purchase. When buying new remember to budget for the following extras:

- Pedals (most entry level bikes come with standard flat pedals, higher end bikes have no pedals included). Decide if you want mountain bike pedals (SPD's) or road bike pedals. Many novices opt of SPD

- Shoes - if you go for SPD's you can opt for mtb shoes or road shoes. MTB shoes weigh more but are more comfy to move around in off the bike

- Helmet. Bell helmets offer a replacement if you fall and damage your helmet. Some other makes have the same offering. There's nothing worse than falling and then having to drop R1k for a new helmet too.

- Spares (multi tool, tyre levers, spare tube, a small saddle bag). Less is often more. Don't buy a "lunch box" but get something that can hold the basic items. A small pump for your back pocket as well.

- 2 x cycling shorts (bibshorts fit better, but this is up to personal preference)

- 2 x Cycling shirts (soon you'll get kit from work, clubs etc, but to start off this is fine)

- Gloves - falling on your hands takes skin off.

that Scott has got me thinking about a little flip by Cajees later this week... I think I am finally outperforming my alu Giant... :) Which Cajees on that note..?

I went past Cajess boksburg Monday, They have a Carbon Scott on special for 12.5.

Pietervdw which Cajees was that and when? The CR1 Team with full 105 and Mavik Aksiums is going for 13500 to 14500 depending which of the 3 branches I just phoned... They also have a CR1 Comp with part 105 and part non-series and Alex rims for R12500...

Edited by dracs

+10000!!!