Christmas 2011 -- a New Tradition

toneljhb

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide us with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of South African labour. This year will be different. This year South Africans will give the gift of genuine concern for other South Africans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by South African hands. Yes, there is plenty.

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car valet’d? Small, South African owned car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the cash on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway fixed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or roof waterproofed and painted.

There are a Gazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town South African with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorbike, done at a shop run by a South African working guy? A service at your LBS?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could do with an upgrade, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running. Probably right here on The Hub!

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people are great. They make jewellery, pottery, knitted stuff, Teddy Bears, paintings and home preserves etc.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a R50 string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining South African pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about us, encouraging small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other South Africans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS should be the new South African Christmas tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post in your local newspaper in the Rants and Raves section -- your radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

BUY SOUTH AFRICAN - BE SOUTH AFRICAN - The job you save might be your own!

Nice sentiments, but damn dude, the market is global now. Get with the times... Soaps that you use in the carwash are sourced abroad, so are the clippers in the hairdresser & the tills in the shops.

Why should it be a tradition to buy only South African products? I want to get the best my money can get. If that is South African, then so be it. Your rationale is somewhat flawed though, in that all (okay, most) of the stores we buy our stuff at are South African as well, even though they sell imported goods. Do you propose boycotting them in favour of something else that you may not need? What about the manager's job at Sportsmans Warehouse or HiFi Corp when he doesn't sell as much product?

My view - buying from a South African source should not be restricted by buying South African only goods. By supporting local businesses (pretty much every business in RSA fits under that banner) we are doing our bit for the local economy.

Failing that - SPAM!

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local hair salon or barber?

Sorry - wrong there mate... not everyone! Me DIY zip zip with the hair clippers once a week - and I'm afraid no doubt they are made in Taiwan even though they are an American company... I support the buy SA sentiment though - where one can and provided product is like for like quality etc...

like the sentiment - but agree - i support local where i can. That said in a few years time we will have been colonised by China so all those expensive electronic goods will be "local"

I read this morning that the average American spends $700 on Christmas, and if they spent $76 of that on US products, it'd create 200 000 jobs…or something like that…

China has already won WW III, without firing a bullet. Some people didn't even know it had started. But I like the sentiments of the OP. Local IS lekker. thumbup1.gif Just need to sort out our labour productivity and skills, relax our labour laws, and we're there. Easy peasy.

Service,Service,Service but Eish I don't Knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww cracks me up,Eishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry: :D :blush: :thumbdown: :clap: