26" Wheelsets - Don't know what to buy?

Peewee1

According to Johan Bornman (resident expert on all things wheel related and annoyingly practical) he'd also recommend the Hope/Stans option, all things considered.. Just place your custom wheelbuild order on CRC and wham bang thankyou 'mam

Value for money would be the American Classic wheels great allround wheels and then there are the Mavic wheels.I have both and they are excellent strong and well worth the money...

In your price range, I can give you the following new wheelsets:-

XTR M970 - R3,5k

DT Swiss X1800 - R2,2k

ZTR Olympic rims on Ringle Dirty Flea hubs - R3,2k

In your price range, I can give you the following new wheelsets:-

XTR M970 - R3,5k

DT Swiss X1800 - R2,2k

Anything Mavic or American Classic? Not keen on Shimano.

The ZTR might be cool but I am swaying towards factory built wheelsets right now.

Managed to find some brand new 2009 Mavic Crossmax SL rims. Thanks for the help guys, was cheap and should do the job.

Anyone know how strong the 32mm (w) Stans Flow rims are?

Like, could it hit a rock, cause a pinch flat and still look like the day it was bought? I should think at the price it will..

I have fallen in love with them but am looking for a reason not to spend so much money.. someone help!

(Does this count as a hijack since the OP is sorted?)

The S&*t!! Light easy to service and quite bulletproof.

The S&*t!! Light easy to service and quite bulletproof.

Those were my 2nd option...these are cooler I reckon - wanted factory built in the end.

Mavic Crosstrail on special at CWC for R3500

Yeah I know, got the Crossmax SL set for way cheaper. Only thing I am missing from the Crosstrails is the new hubs with the dual quick release and through axle system. I have a quick release fork so doesn't bother me much. Also they look like better wheels than the crosstrails, hopefully nothing much has changed from 2009 to now.

Anyways, lets see how they run, has to be better than what I had originally.

Anyone know how strong the 32mm (w) Stans Flow rims are?

Like, could it hit a rock, cause a pinch flat and still look like the day it was bought? I should think at the price it will..

I have fallen in love with them but am looking for a reason not to spend so much money.. someone help!

(Does this count as a hijack since the OP is sorted?)

Would have to let you know once I have put mine through some abuse.

Yeah I know, got the Crossmax SL set for way cheaper. Only thing I am missing from the Crosstrails is the new hubs with the dual quick release and through axle system. I have a quick release fork so doesn't bother me much. Also they look like better wheels than the crosstrails, hopefully nothing much has changed from 2009 to now.

Anyways, lets see how they run, has to be better than what I had originally.

The Crossmax's are very nice wheels, just replaced my own set a few weeks ago (just for the sake of something different)... If you're not doing massive milage then I personally don't think there is enough difference between the different options in a similar price range to really matter. If you're doing the milage then reliability becomes an issue and then you need to be careful about what you choose. Most people recommend wheelsets just because that's what they ride, not because they've tested every alternative and settled on the "best" option.

Would have to let you know once I have put mine through some abuse.

ooh, one potentially happy customer. Did you get the wheelset or build them up?

The Crossmax's are very nice wheels, just replaced my own set a few weeks ago (just for the sake of something different)... If you're not doing massive milage then I personally don't think there is enough difference between the different options in a similar price range to really matter. If you're doing the milage then reliability becomes an issue and then you need to be careful about what you choose. Most people recommend wheelsets just because that's what they ride, not because they've tested every alternative and settled on the "best" option.

Yes I know what you mean, I had shimano deore hubs before, didnt even think about taking those things apart because of the mess. I wanted cartridge bearing hubs and always been a fan of Mavic. I know about the maintenance issue, will make sure I get some spare bearings and spokes etc. next week, just in case.

Going to try the new hoops out tmw, bike definitely feels alot lighter with them on, lets see how it goes. Lets see if I can handle the hub noise, shimano ones are silent...guess it will keep me from freewheeling.

Achter at Solomons said it was a very good buy, managed to get away with 3k for rims and new centrelock discs(old hubs were 6bolt).

I just hope I made the right choice :rolleyes:

post-18770-0-90294900-1322846633.jpg

This morning before I dropped it off at Solomons - was getting a bit late last night putting the bike back together :blush:

Edited by Peewee1