Tubeless puncture

Active Monkey

Stans (or other tubeless sealant)

tubeless patch (like a normal patch, but thicker, that you put on the inside of the tire for beeeeeg gashes)

the Stans will fix the majority of punctures, but bigger than 2 ~ 3mm and you'll have to use the patch.

Or get some plugs as used on car tyres - don't have to take the tyre off to repair the puncture.

OK, Caerus beat me to it WITH a pic. :thumbup:

Edited by AnimalDoc

Sealant. If you are riding along and you start feeling like Jenna Jameson at the climax of a scene (when it happens, you'll know), stop, find the hole (it's easy, it's wet and sealant is bubbling out), rotate the wheel until the hole is at the bottom and see if the sealant will do it's job and seal the hole. It normally does. It normally does it so well, that you don't even know that it's done it (and you don't feel like Jenna Jameson).

If the hole doesn't seal, you need to seal it with a tubeless puncture kit. You get two kinds:

1. Strings of snot type - you get a thing like a small screwdriver with the eye of a needle instead of a blade at the end. You thread the snot through the needle eye, cover it in tyre patch glue and stab it through the puncture hole, fiddle it around until you've got it filling the hole as best you can, pull the screw driver thingy out (there is a slot at the end of the eye - the snot slips out of this so you don't pull it back out of the tyre).

Poke it around, let it set for a minute or two, bomb the wheel with a bomb that you have thoughtfully brought along, else pump it.

2. If that doesn't work (normally does, even if you need to double up the snot to fill a big hole) you get a plug type kit. These plugs are pretty awesome. You smear glue all over the plug and in the hole as best you can and then push the plug in using a t-bar type device that comes with the kit. Trim the end of the plug off, and viola, you can bomb/pump the tyre and you are off. These kits are a bit bulky, so I use the first type to get me home, and if necessary, use the plugs once I'm home.

The patch for the inside? Dunno how you are going to get that to stick on a sealant infested tyre in the middle of a ride / race. That's for when you are home and it no longer matters.

Tubeless rocks. Time taken to seal a puncture? 30 secs excluding finding your kit / bomb / dropping it in your haste etc...

Sealant. If you are riding along and you start feeling like Jenna Jameson at the climax of a scene (when it happens, you'll know), stop, find the hole (it's easy, it's wet and sealant is bubbling out), rotate the wheel until the hole is at the bottom and see if the sealant will do it's job and seal the hole. It normally does. It normally does it so well, that you don't even know that it's done it (and you don't feel like Jenna Jameson).

If the hole doesn't seal, you need to seal it with a tubeless puncture kit. You get two kinds:

1. Strings of snot type - you get a thing like a small screwdriver with the eye of a needle instead of a blade at the end. You thread the snot through the needle eye, cover it in tyre patch glue and stab it through the puncture hole, fiddle it around until you've got it filling the hole as best you can, pull the screw driver thingy out (there is a slot at the end of the eye - the snot slips out of this so you don't pull it back out of the tyre).

Poke it around, let it set for a minute or two, bomb the wheel with a bomb that you have thoughtfully brought along, else pump it.

What do these "strings of snot" plugs look like, what brand? :unsure:

What do these "strings of snot" plugs look like, what brand? :unsure:

Um, you posted a pic of this system already...

If thats the "snot one" whats the other one? Am I missing something here. :unsure:

What he said. Those brown, slimy things.

You can get thicker versions than the one's in the kit you have a pic of. Can't remember the name of them, as all I've been able to get when I've been looking are the one's that you have shown. I normally double them up just to make sure.

Edited by davetapson

Sorry, my bad. Whats the plugs look like and what brand please Sir :) Are these the plugs you are referring to,

post-13006-0-57314100-1322825046.jpg

You can get thicker versions than the one's in the kit you have a pic of.

If you want nice thick ones, get a motorbike tyre repair kit...

Oh ok, the other ones are proper rubber plugs.

This is the kit with the better snot strings - I got one initially, and then just restock with strings as rqd.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/tubeless-patch-kit-ec012005

Here's a good page on how to do the repair. Struggling to find a pic of the rubber plug type.

http://coachlevi.com/product-reviews/genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit-test-review/

Although this guy didn't use glue, so didn't get a pefect seal. Use glue and you'll be fine.

Edited by davetapson

For on the Trail repair for holes that won't be plugged up with the Sealant

+1, fix two tyres on races with this and finished without any further troubles.Light weight and small enough to carry in your back pocket. :thumbup:

Just learn how to use it before you need it :D

Sorry, my bad. Whats the plugs look like and what brand please Sir :) Are these the plugs you are referring to,

Sort of. My kit is much dinkier. Just has rubber plugs that have a hole lengthways in them and a groove around the cylinder part, a tube of glue and a t-bar with a point. You push the t-bar in the lengthways hole, push it in to the puncture site until the tyre slips into the groove, then you pull the t-bar out and the plug remains behind, locked in to the tyre.

I got mine at ProCycles, after Paul fixed one of my tyres with this type of plug.

He reckons that the glue that comes in this kit (green stuff) is so potent that one time when he was a bit slow at pushing the plug in that it actually glued the hole closed on it's own - provided a perfect fix without the plug!

Edited by davetapson